PDA

View Full Version : Colt Half Moon Bolt Carrier? Any good?

Bushmaster-M4A3
06-25-11, 19:30
I have a Colt half moon bolt carrier. I was thinking if I should use it, since it's "missing" the bottom half circle compared to my other bolt carriers. I didn't think it'd cause a problem but it seems that it's quite a bit lighter than the standard semi carrier.

In addition, it has a bottom cut out where cocks the hammer. So instead of carrier cocking hammer, it's the firingpin collar cocking the hammer. Is that a problem?

EzGoingKev
06-25-11, 20:10
In addition, it has a bottom cut out where cocks the hammer. So instead of carrier cocking hammer, it's the firingpin collar cocking the hammer. Is that a problem?
Yes. I swapped mine out for an LMT carrier, but I did not have a sear block in mine.

AMMOTECH
06-25-11, 20:13
I would sell it on the EE (someone may need or want it) and buy a newer M-16 unit from Colt or BCM.

This is a Colt design to use on a type of lower that they had with a sear block located in the area behind the hammer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/AR15/DSC07504copy.jpg

mag318
06-25-11, 21:50
There is nothing at all wrong with a Colt halfmoon carrier, they work great and are Colt quality. I've had several Colt ARs with these carriers and they work just as well as any.

EzGoingKev
06-26-11, 06:11
There is nothing at all wrong with a Colt halfmoon carrier, they work great and are Colt quality. I've had several Colt ARs with these carriers and they work just as well as any.
They have an unshrouded firing pin which beats the shit out of the cotter pin retainer and can also brake the pin.

Quiet-Matt
06-26-11, 07:14
Keep that one as a spare, get a good replacement. If you have the sear block I believe that you can still use a semi-auto carrier like one from LMT... (please correct me if I'm wrong Scotty) http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=112

uniform64
06-26-11, 07:35
My Colt half moon has a shouded firing pin. Late 90's MT.

mag318
06-26-11, 07:47
One of my earlier and most used ARs has a BCG with an unshrouded firing pin. Over 20 years of use with many thousands of rounds thru it, I'm still using the original retaining pin. So I think the idea of an unshrouded firing pin beating everything up is a myth.

Quiet-Matt
06-26-11, 08:18
I think that for it to beat up the retaining pin it would have to be assembled incorrectly.

5pins
06-26-11, 08:19
One of my earlier and most used ARs has a BCG with an unshrouded firing pin. Over 20 years of use with many thousands of rounds thru it, I'm still using the original retaining pin. So I think the idea of an unshrouded firing pin beating everything up is a myth.

It’s not a myth. The retaining pin in my MT broke after about 2000 rounds.

EzGoingKev
06-26-11, 10:30
Mine was beat to shit and I had never seen that before even w/ high round count military weapons.

duece71
06-26-11, 13:23
I have one with my MT6400. It has worked fine for 500 or so rounds through the gun. I am thinking of using it as a spare and replacing with a new BCM, LMT, Colt BCG.

ST911
06-26-11, 14:34
The Colt semi-auto bolt carrier does not require immediate replacement. While it does not have a shrouded firing pin or full radius at the rear, it is a quality carrier.

If you are using that bolt carrier, ensure that you are using only a Colt small-collared semi-auto firing pin rather than the larger collared full auto pin. Also, monitor your firing pin retaining pin (FPRP), or "cotter pin" as many incorrectly refer to it. When it starts to deform or bend, replace it with another Colt or known-good FPRP.