PDA

View Full Version : Correct Glock Slide Stop Manipulation?

Travis B
06-25-11, 21:25
For the life of me I cannot use my thumb to release the slide on my G21SF, unless I'm wearing gloves. I don't think it's a lack of strength, but more a lack of knowledge of the correct technique. I've searched around for steps to the proper technique and, other than the slingshot method, I can't find anything. I don't see the need in buying an extended slide stop if it's not necessary. Can anyone help me out?

Seraph
06-25-11, 21:36
For the life of me I cannot use my thumb to release the slide on my G21SF, unless I'm wearing gloves. I don't think it's a lack of strength, but more a lack of knowledge of the correct technique. I've searched around for steps to the proper technique and, other than the slingshot method, I can't find anything. I don't see the need in buying an extended slide stop if it's not necessary. Can anyone help me out?

Are you pressing downward on the slide stop, or pressing inward? Are you trying to drop the slide on an empty mag, loaded mag, or no mag?

darr3239
06-25-11, 21:37
An extended slide stop is not absolutely necessary, but can be of real help for one handed operation. Otherwise, you can use your left thumb on the release, while mainaining your firing grip with your right hand.

seb5
06-25-11, 21:37
The slingslot is considered the proper tecnique. I'm a lefty so use my trigger finger to release the slide lock if not using the slingshot method. As an FYI my duty Glock 23 has dropped the slide on magazine insertion for the last 10,000 or so rounds. In order not to develop that into a habit I now make sure I train with my my 19 and 35 regularly. You might try an extended slide stop. I think Glock purposely developed it to be small to discourage using it as a slide release instead of a slide stop.

Alpha Sierra
06-25-11, 22:00
I just hit it with the thumb of my support hand as I bring it up to its proper place as part of my grip. That way I don't have to change my strong hand grip to reach the slide lock with my strong hand thumb.

Alpha Sierra
06-25-11, 22:02
The slingslot is considered the proper tecnique.
Many top tier trainers would disagree.

blackboar
06-25-11, 22:11
The slide stop is easier to drop with a loaded magazine. I use an extended slide stop and it works very well for me. I am a lefty, so most of the time, I do use the slingshot method, but I also spend time practicing strong hand only or other strong hand only, so in those drills I use the slide stop. When I use my thumb to actuate the slide stop, I find it easier to sweep the thumb in a downward motion, starting the downward stroke from a thumbs up position to give me some momentum. Not sure if that's right, but it does release the slide on a consistent basis.

AngeredKabar
06-26-11, 01:23
I place the point of my thumb that naturally fits on the top corner of the slide stop and firmly and quickly sweep it both down and in. Almost like I'm trying to touch with my thumb, the joint where my pinky is attached to the rest of my hand. It made my thumb raw for a couple days but it's no problem now.

RWBlue
06-26-11, 01:51

Which ones recommend using the Glocks' slide stop as a slide release?

sammage
06-26-11, 02:31
Which ones recommend using the Glocks' slide stop as a slide release?

Larry Vickers would strike me as one, since he designed an extended slide stop.

DOA
06-26-11, 02:41

Please list those "top tier" trainers whom you know for a fact, that teach using the slide stop rather than using the slingshot method.

sboza
06-26-11, 05:03
I'm a glock armorer and we were taught that glock's prefered technique is the overhand method. Glock basically designed the pistol to be ideally racked this way, not via the slidestop or the slingshot method.

Trainers have various opinions but you need to find what works for you. There are 4 basic ways to release the slide for a right handed shooter.

1) Slide stop with primary thumb.
2) Slide stop with support thumb after mag inserted.
3) Slingshot.
4) Overhand.

These are in order of fastest slowest and also most difficult to least. If you train a lot and you can physically do it, 1 is ideal. Buy most people don't train like that and as soon as stress is added, they start messing up that fine motor skill application. That said, 1 is what I use. I train and dryfire regularly an have been able to hit it with acceptable consistently while muddy, oiley, bloody, and while under stress. What constitutes acceptable consistency is up to the shooter.

Again, maybe your finger can't physically use 1 consistently (too weak, fingers too short, etc...). Every method doesn't work for everyone. Try something else. Don't worry about what all the top tier trainers preach as the right method because they will all tell you to use what works for you after showing you the options and giving their pros and cons.

Shawn.L
06-26-11, 06:38
Larry Vickers would strike me as one, since he designed an extended slide stop.

Please list those "top tier" trainers whom you know for a fact, that teach using the slide stop rather than using the slingshot method.

Vickers
Defoor

C45P312
06-26-11, 07:34
Vickers
Defoor

Add Falla to that list as well I think. Been a couple months since attending one of his pistol classes. But I always use the slide stop to release the slide just because it's faster.

Littlelebowski
06-26-11, 08:05
The slingslot is considered the proper tecnique.

No, it is not.

dookie1481
06-26-11, 08:24
I can't believe people STILL argue about this. Use what works the best for you.

Also, search YouTube for top competitive shooters and count the number of times you see them use any method other than the slide release.

Quiet-Matt
06-26-11, 08:42
I've tried the glock extended slide release and it worked great for it's intended purpose, but I hardly got a chance to use it. My thumb always rode on it holding it down and preventing slide lock. I would like to try one of LAV's levers and see if I have the same issue.

Joe Mamma
06-26-11, 08:45

I don't think it's you. I really suggest that you get an extended slide release. Regardless of what technique you use or intend to use, you want to have something that works for you with no issues whenever you use it.

I use Glock's extended slide release and it works fine for me. I've never used Vicker's. But I assume it works fine too.

Joe Mamma

Travis B
06-26-11, 09:17
Are you pressing downward on the slide stop, or pressing inward? Are you trying to drop the slide on an empty mag, loaded mag, or no mag?

I do a combination of downward and inward when pressing it. I have struggled dropping it on a combination of the three, but I can occasionally get it to work with a loaded magazine.

Travis B
06-26-11, 09:17
An extended slide stop is not absolutely necessary, but can be of real help for one handed operation. Otherwise, you can use your left thumb on the release, while mainaining your firing grip with your right hand.

How would left-thumb operation be any easier?

Travis B
06-26-11, 09:18
I just hit it with the thumb of my support hand as I bring it up to its proper place as part of my grip. That way I don't have to change my strong hand grip to reach the slide lock with my strong hand thumb.

My strong hand grip doesn't change when trying to operate it, well other than my thumb moving up.

Travis B
06-26-11, 09:22
I place the point of my thumb that naturally fits on the top corner of the slide stop and firmly and quickly sweep it both down and in. Almost like I'm trying to touch with my thumb, the joint where my pinky is attached to the rest of my hand. It made my thumb raw for a couple days but it's no problem now.

That sounds different that what I currently try so I'll attempt that method. Thanks for the walkthrough, AK.

Travis B
06-26-11, 09:24
What's the difference in the overhand and the slingshot methods?
I'm a glock armorer and we were taught that glock's prefered technique is the overhand method. Glock basically designed the pistol to be ideally racked this way, not via the slidestop or the slingshot method.

I have farm hands that are a bit larger than average, so I really don't think it's a physical inability.

Like I said earlier, the method works with gloves, it's just not as consistent without them. I have no idea what method the top tier trainers use. I used to use the slingshot method until I started trying to use the slide stop, and when it works it's a lot easier for me. I just have to figure out what I need to do to be more consistent with it.

Again, maybe your finger can't physically use 1 consistently (too weak, fingers too short, etc...). Every method doesn't work for everyone. Try something else. Don't worry about what all the top tier trainers preach as the right method because they will all tell you to use what works for you after showing you the options and giving their pros and cons.

RagweedZulu
06-26-11, 10:42
I've attended MANY shooting schools over the years and by far the most common technique is the overhand method of releasing the slide. I recently saw Rob Pincus do a video about the same thing.

The reason that is always given is that it works on EVERY pistol EVERY time. For those of us who switch defensive pistol platforms often, there's no need to hunt around for a little button in the middle of a firefight.

I carry a S&W on duty but mostly Glocks or 1911's off duty. The overhand works with them all and in my humble opinion, is far more reliable, using gross motor skills when under stress. I won't flame those who use their pistol's release, but I've trained myself away from it and I find it works very well.

Heavy Metal
06-26-11, 10:51
using gross motor skills when under stress.

Unless you are using a spear, fine motor skills are always required to operate any firearm under stress. The trigger press and mag release are all fine motor skills.

DocGKR
06-26-11, 11:15
Gross and fine motor skills is a red herring--despite what is commonly believed, pretty much ALL pistol manipulations, including hitting the magazine release and pulling the trigger, are fine motor skills.

For my first decade in LE we were trained to use the overhand method on the slide--works OK, but is slow. Then in the wake of 9/11 we began to get more training from folks in the SOF community who strongly advocated using the slide stop. Thus for the past 10 years we have been using using the weak hand thumb to release the slide stop. Turns out it is definitely faster and just as consistent to release the slide using the slide stop...

On a Glock, I use a Vickers slide stop and release it with my weak hand thumb.

Travis B
06-26-11, 11:19
Gross and fine motor skills is a red herring--despite what is commonly believed, pretty much ALL pistol manipulations, including hitting the magazine release and pulling the trigger, are fine motor skills.

For my first decade in LE we were trained to use the overhand method on the slide--works OK, but is slow. Then in the wake of 9/11 we began to get more training from folks in the SOF community who strongly advocated using the slide stop. Thus for the past 10 years we have been using using the weak hand thumb to release the slide stop. Turns out it is definitely faster and just as consistent to release the slide using the slide stop...

On a Glock, I use a Vickers slide stop and release it with my weak hand thumb.

I'll try out using my support hand, too. Thanks!

jonconsiglio
06-26-11, 11:26
Jason Falla - a short way into the video he goes over the three main slide release methods. He's shooting a Glock.

Personally, I use a standard slide stop, not an extended. At speed, I tend to interfere with extended stops. I'd actually like to find a flat slide stop for my M&Ps similar to the standard on Glocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5bOg-GYKHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

tgace
06-26-11, 11:42
I wrote a blog piece on this a while ago and included some video to show the difference in speed between various emergency reload techniques. I'm obviously no Vickers or Falla, but you can see the obvious speed difference even with me.

http://tgace.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/variations-on-a-themeemergency-reloads/

To add into the mix is the "strip the magazine or drop free" issue. When I first got hired, my dept. trained us to always strip the mag free because our older Glock magazines didn't always drop free. Even though we now have Gen 4's and the new magazines our training dept still sticks with the old technique. In terms of MY speed the difference between reloads can be as much as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x05RcvPMWDk&feature=player_embedded

vs this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-anvUjy4ls&feature=player_embedded

GLOCKMASTER
06-26-11, 11:46
I've attended MANY shooting schools over the years and by far the most common technique is the overhand method of releasing the slide. I recently saw Rob Pincus do a video about the same thing.

The reason that is always given is that it works on EVERY pistol EVERY time. For those of us who switch defensive pistol platforms often, there's no need to hunt around for a little button in the middle of a firefight.

I carry a S&W on duty but mostly Glocks or 1911's off duty. The overhand works with them all and in my humble opinion, is far more reliable, using gross motor skills when under stress. I won't flame those who use their pistol's release, but I've trained myself away from it and I find it works very well.

Well if you can find the little magazine release then you shouldn't have a problem finding the slide release lever.

Seraph
06-26-11, 11:48
Jason Falla - a short way into the video he goes over the three main slide release methods. He's shooting a Glock.

Personally, I use a standard slide stop, not an extended. At speed, I tend to interfere with extended stops. I'd actually like to find a flat slide stop for my M&Ps similar to the standard on Glocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5bOg-GYKHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Great link! Maybe I like it because that's almost exactly how I do it already.