PDA

View Full Version : 308 7.62x51 realoads extraction issues

supermoto917
06-26-11, 10:46
What's up folks, 1rst post in the forum been lurking for quite some time now but finally have a question worth asking. After a few AR's I finally got a 308 from POF shoots great with new factory brand ammo and new brass reloads but having issues with a batch of rounds that would fail to pull ( extract ) from the chamber and would also blow the primer out. Had that happen 3 time out off 100 rounds. One more thing I noticed is with the other rounds that shot flawlessly were rated 2550 fps as to the ammo having issues M80 specs 2750 fps. Could it be that being a hotter load it's making the used brass expand more thus making it that much harder to extract? Question B as the rifle breaks in will it be able to shoot the hotter round or maybe it's just a bad batch of reloads. thanks in advance !

shootist~
06-26-11, 11:18
What are the specifics of the reload?

Assuming the primer pockets were not over swaged, blowing primers is a sign of excess internal pressure - maybe even poor headspace or improperly re-sized brass. Even excess length on the brass, if not trimmed.

Something else to check on is regulating/adjusting the gas system for the different load.

supermoto917
06-26-11, 11:35
What are the specifics of the reload?

Assuming the primer pockets were not over swaged, blowing primers is a sign of excess internal pressure - maybe even poor headspace or improperly re-sized brass. Even excess length on the brass, if not trimmed.

Something else to check on is regulating/adjusting the gas system for the different load.

The load I'm having issues with are 147 grain FMJBT 2750 fps , the other ammo i have shot out of the same rifle were 168 grains to 175 but only 2550 fps and no issues with them. I'm trying to get a hold of some new 147 grain 2750 fps rounds to see if the batch of ammo is bad.

jackinfl
06-26-11, 11:42
Supermoto,
I am going to assume you are not reloading yourself. Am I correct? If not there are so many variables. Head space, COAL and consistency in powder being thrown.

Look into www.southwestammunition.com there products seem to be running very well for people. Their run and gun ammo looks to be very afordable.

Best of luck.

supermoto917
06-26-11, 12:00
Supermoto,
I am going to assume you are not reloading yourself. Am I correct? If not there are so many variables. Head space, COAL and consistency in powder being thrown.

Look into www.southwestammunition.com there products seem to be running very well for people. Their run and gun ammo looks to be very afordable.

Best of luck.

not reloading at all at this point. got the ammo from tactical ammunition and have had awesome luck with their 5.56 and new brass 7.62 rounds but the realoads are giving me issues. i might have to give them a buzz tomorrow trade them in with the new brass option they sell. Wouldn't the head space being off give me issues with the other rounds as well.

shootist~
06-26-11, 12:32
That reloaded ammo is dangerous in your rifle, and I'll bet the primers in your fired brass are flattened as well - another serious danger sign.

I would return (including the brass as proof) and ask for my money back. In any event don't shoot any more - regardless of what brass they claim to use. You are risking a kaboom, otherwise.

In 7.62/.308, just switching from U.S. commercial to mil brass will cause a significant pressure spike. Been there, done that myself, btw.

ETA: Effective headspace can be affected by improperly sized brass and/or untrimmed brass that runs into your lands - even if your rifle's headspace is in spec. But is sounds like bad ammo to me.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-26-11, 12:44
Shootist

Nailed home every point I was going to make after I read your post. Dont shoot that ammo. Hot loads have no place in gas guns. If you intend to start reloading for your self read as much as you can before you start and enlist the help of and experienced reloader.

supermoto917
06-26-11, 15:29
making a call 1rst thing in the morning, I recounted the total ammo purchased and I only shot 30 rounds and 3 of them failed to extract and primers blew out, got the 3 rounds that failed to eject all packed up ready to go. @ shootist I don't think I have the option to regulate the pressure chamber ( piston gun ) but thanks I didn't even know if that was an option on my rifle or not. I am trying to get a hold of new factory or Mil surplus 147 grain @ 2750 fps just to follow my hunch on the bad reload batch. I hope they don't pull this no guarantee on reloads mumbo jumbo. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Called the company and they will send me the call tags to get the ammo back. had 2 choices full refund or replace with re-loads from brand new brass unlike the the once I got having the issues. Glad they are a stand up outfit. From now on it's New brass ammo for the 308 boom stick.