PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint CompM3 brightness knob "loose"

kerplode
06-27-11, 13:45
I was doing some periodic maintenance on my LMT last night, and I noticed that the brightness knob on my CompM3 seems a little loose. I'm able to wiggle it a little bit in all directions. The set screws that attach the knob to the switch are both tight. It almost feels like the switch itself is loose, or maybe busted. It still works fine, as far as I can tell, but I don't think it's normal to have play in the knob on an M3.

Should I be worrying about this? Is it possible to pull off the knob and check/tighten the switch itself?

kwilkin
06-28-11, 09:22
It's difficult to know how much wobble there is without getting my own hands on it. I don't recall my (now-sold) ML2 or M2 having much wobble. Maybe give Aimpoint a ring and see what they.

montrala
06-28-11, 09:51
Knobs on M series Aimpoints are designed to have significant play between positions. It is there to protect switch from mechanical damage in case when knob is slammed hard against something or sight hits hard surface. Most of play is in rotation, but there is also some in pull/push direction (but not much).

kerplode
06-28-11, 13:06
Thanks guys!

So the play that I'm feeling in the knob isn't really rotational play between the settings. With it in any position, I can grab the knob and shift it a bit left, right, up, and down. It's hard to describe, but it really does feel like the whole switch body is loose.

I didn't get a chance to mess with it last night, but I'm hoping to be able to look into it more after work. I think I'll undo the two allen set screws, pull the knob, and see if there's a nut under there that needs to be tweaked.

I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Dachs
06-28-11, 13:11
I'd give Aimpoint a call before you go 'tweaking' stuff. You might have a warranty replaceable issue, but if you start taking it apart, you'll void their warranty.

montrala
06-28-11, 13:55
In that case I would contact Aimpoint as well.

kerplode
06-28-11, 15:11
I bought this sight used, so it's no longer covered by Aimpoint's warranty.

I should probably still contact Aimpoint about it, though. I'm sure having them repair it would be cheaper than replacing it should I inadvertently make it worse screwing around with it.

double-d
06-28-11, 17:16
I bought this sight used, so it's no longer covered by Aimpoint's warranty.

I should probably still contact Aimpoint about it, though. I'm sure having them repair it would be cheaper than replacing it should I inadvertently make it worse screwing around with it.

+4

They repaired a three year old RDS that I purchased new. Didn't expect them to do it free but was returned fixed w/o cost.

sinjinhawk
06-28-11, 17:37
My M3 switch knob has been kinda loose since I purchased it new. That's been almost 3 yrs now. At first it did bother me but after a while I got used to like and don't mind it anymore. Red dot is supposed to be turn on 24/7 so it's there when you need them not On/Off position.

BoneCrusher
06-28-11, 21:52
My comp M4s knob is the same way, always works great and hasn't ever been an issue. I think you're GTG.