PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo Channel - 6/27 10pm ET

ForTehNguyen
06-27-11, 17:02
anyone going to watch this?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/doomsday-preppers-6202/Overview

sapper36
06-27-11, 21:16
Watchin it now. That pool/greenhouse is pretty cool.

goneshootin88
06-27-11, 23:00
That show was great. One of the guys has a pretty good youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/southernprepper1#g/u
How sweet would it be to have the last guys bunker?! I now have something to inspire towards.

Moose-Knuckle
06-28-11, 04:20
I DVR'ed it, go'n to watch it with the Mrs tonight.

shaneinhisroom
06-28-11, 14:39
I also DVR'd it. Was playing into my beauty sleep hours :lol:

Paraclete comes
06-29-11, 00:31
wish I had seen that one, anyone know where to find it?

Moose-Knuckle
06-29-11, 04:09
Okay, watched it. I was impressed that the show did not paint these people as some right wing whackos. Out of the four families the last two are really the only ones that a have snow balls' chance in hell to survive some cataclysm as they are the only ones that had any means to defend their hearth and home. The last guy profiled had an awesome bunker but it is 120 miles (by car) from his family’s house. It did me good to see him pack an FAL.

docsherm
06-29-11, 05:52
Anyone have an internet link to watch it? I am in the Stan do I don't get TV, well AFN but that just sucks. :lol:

Horsehide
06-29-11, 07:24
Not a bad show at all...
My favorite moment though, was when the lady who has a food delivered at night stressed the need for discretion.
"Loose lips shink ships" she added.
Would someone please let her know she was featured on a TV show...:nono:

Paraclete comes
06-29-11, 07:41
Yeah really, has her full name and city too! I was dying last night after I watched it. For those of you that want to watch it go to youtube.com I found it after a little searching last night.

Not a bad show at all...
My favorite moment though, was when the lady who has a food delivered at night stressed the need for discretion.

docsherm
06-29-11, 08:25
Thanks I found it. :smile:

Irish
06-29-11, 09:24
Thanks I found it. :smile:

For everyone else here's part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPepJpadbo&feature=related

docsherm
06-29-11, 09:51
I just watched it and I have to say that I was pleased that they did include the security aspect of it in their evaluation. They should have hit on that a little more with the first group. From what I could tell they had no defense plan. Did I miss something of did the second group not have any water plan? Unless the third group was on an Interstate I think that their “experts” were way off. What do they want; Hescos and claymores? :blink:

Jteck31
06-29-11, 10:14
Yeah, I think they had the right format for the show. Didn't make the people look too crazy. It seems that this type of information is finding itself more and more into the mainstream. Should give the unaware individual the sees it something to think about.

Redmanfms
06-30-11, 08:27
Okay, watched it. I was impressed that the show did not paint these people as some right wing whackos. Out of the four families the last two are really the only ones that a have snow balls' chance in hell to survive some cataclysm as they are the only ones that had any means to defend their hearth and home. The last guy profiled had an awesome bunker but it is 120 miles (by car) from his family’s house. It did me good to see him pack an FAL.

The lady who was all concerned about OPSEC:rolleyes: was shown teaching her children how to shoot. So the bunker nut, the joint family farm and the OPSEC lady were all shown engaging in at least some sort of defensive behavior.

I'd give it to the hippies in the first segment and the joined families at the end as to whom I think would "make it" should something major happen. The OPSEC lady is really just a hoarder and she's basically ****ed if she has to relocate or her hoard runs out and the bunker nut was basically a hoarder that located his hoard in a hole in the ground over 100 miles from his primary residence.

None of them struck me as being terribly proficient in either firearms or their use, but that could have just been an oversight/editing problem on the part of the producers of the show.

Moose-Knuckle
06-30-11, 23:32

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Idiot. :D

I'd give it to the hippies in the first segment and the joined families at the end as to whom I think would "make it" should something major happen.

The family was more focused on donning their MOPP kits than self defense and firearms. In his BOB the father had a sling shot and a .22LR handgun. When he actually mentioned self defense he held up a large hunting knife. :rolleyes:

None of them struck me as being terribly proficient in either firearms or their use, but that could have just been an oversight/editing problem on the part of the producers of the show.

I noticed that too, I figured that either the people did not want to show their firearm “collections” and self defense mind set on TV or the producers just didn't want the show to go in that direction. In the third group with the two families, one of the fathers was a veteran of Iraq so I would ass-u-me that he would have some training and experience with firearms that he can pass onto the others. I noticed they mostly had ARs so he would be familiar with that platform. The last guy with the bunker stated he trains on multiple platforms, it showed him shooting a bolt gun at distance and carrying an FAL. I don’t think the average firearm ignorant person would just go and buy a long gun like that with out some fore thought on the matter.

Redmanfms
07-01-11, 00:50
The family was more focused on donning their MOPP kits than self defense and firearms. In his BOB the father had a sling shot and a .22LR handgun. When he actually mentioned self defense he held up a large hunting knife. :rolleyes:

I didn't actually catch that part because I was channel flipping, I didn't think they (the hippies) had made any reference to self-defense. Yeah, a knife for defense is pretty silly.

Why I thought they'd "make it" had less to do with defense than it did with the fact that they are already working on serious food and water production projects.

Jack-O
07-01-11, 00:55
looks like someone (first guy) has more money and internet than actual real sustainable supplies or plans that reflect reality or skills to back them up.

His biggest success story is also his biggest weakness... being the only guy on his block with preps.

there is something to be said for the "peace of mind" that comes from having a bunch of shit stashed in your house. at least he'll feel good about things right up until SHTF for real.

recon
07-05-11, 18:55
The next showing/repeat of this program is July 30th at 8PM.