PDA

View Full Version : reloader

bornhunter04
06-28-11, 03:08
What's the best place to buy a dillon? Order it directly from the company or is there someplace that sells them wholesale? The google genie isn't working for me today..... Any body have any thoughts on the hornady progressive if i don't want to pony up for a dillon?

Thanks in advance.

Boxerglocker
06-28-11, 03:31
What's the best place to buy a dillon? Order it directly from the company or is there someplace that sells them wholesale? The google genie isn't working for me today..... Any body have any thoughts on the hornady progressive if i don't want to pony up for a dillon?

Thanks in advance.

There is Brian Enos and M4carbine member chadbag both Dillon dealers. I would go with either these... I believe both will offer free shipping for orders over $400 (BE for sure) there is no real wholesale discounters for Dillon equipment, though I've heard if you have a C&R Graf's gives a discount.
I'm am admitted Dillon fan, have friends that had issues with the LNL priming system for SPP's and casefeeder problems with small base cases (9mm and .223).
It all depends on your requirements and budget. YMMV.

bornhunter04
06-28-11, 04:00
though I've heard if you have a C&R Graf's gives a discount.

You mean a curio's and relics right? Thanks for the info so far, i'll check out brian when i get a chance.

duece71
06-29-11, 04:21
I can't seem to get a clear picture on what exactly is included with a Dillon press. A local gun range has an XL650 for $560 but I have a feeling this does not include very much stuff. When I try to order from the website, it seems that all of the "extra" stuff can be ordered at the same time......big increase in price for the whole "package". I think a call to Dillon is in order.

bornhunter04
06-29-11, 04:33
I can't seem to get a clear picture on what exactly is included with a Dillon press. A local gun range has an XL650 for $560 but I have a feeling this does not include very much stuff. When I try to order from the website, it seems that all of the "extra" stuff can be ordered at the same time......big increase in price for the whole "package". I think a call to Dillon is in order.

I do believe your right. I priced this straight off of the dillon website.

i'm looking at is a 550, w/ the following addons: spare parts kit, 1" wrench, .40 s&w dies, .223 case gauge, 1 - primer pick up tube, primer flip tray, digital calipers, and case lube.

total cost shipped: $645.58

I still need a digital scale and figured i'd get an extra die plate to make life a little easier. Definitely alot of cash.....

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-29-11, 09:19
I get mine on craigslist you have to be patient but between me an my buddy we have 6 and not a single one cost more than 250. Four of them are 550s and 2 are 450s. You see them for sale hear and there.

I started by calling dillon and telling them what I wanted to load and they gave me a price my jaw droped and I said no thanks and started looking for used ones.

Good luck

duece71
06-29-11, 13:56
I get mine on craigslist you have to be patient but between me an my buddy we have 6 and not a single one cost more than 250. Four of them are 550s and 2 are 450s. You see them for sale hear and there.

I started by calling dillon and telling them what I wanted to load and they gave me a price my jaw droped and I said no thanks and started looking for used ones.

Good luck

Hopefully they are not used like a "slightly" used Corvette or Suzuki GSX whatever. :)
I may go that route, I just don't want any problems is all. I am sure Dillon would help out if I bought a sloppy joe used XL650.

Boxerglocker
06-29-11, 14:38
These days Dillon presses hold thier value so well. To me it's not even worth the wait. Though I keep fund aside for "toys" If I were to be in the need for a 550 right now I would just buy one new from Enos.
The reality is if I was to buy one new for $450 now rather than hold out for a month to find one used for $300 on CL/Ebay. It would be a wash. In one month I could easily load 1000 round of even 9mm and save that $150 over buying factory, more in larger calibers.

chadbag
06-29-11, 15:00
Dillons hold their value pretty well. When I see them used they are pretty close to new in price, though they may have some of the add-ons included. You may get lucky though. Guy dies, his wife does not know what all his man-stuff was and sells it off cheaply.

The XL 650 is $556.95 in most calibers. That does not include dies but includes EVERYTHING else you need press-wise. That does not mean there is not anything you might want that could cost extra, but in terms of needing, it is all there: press, auto powder measure system, auto priming system for both large and small primer, low primer alarm, one primer pickup tube in each size, and all the non-die small and caliber specific parts for one caliber (so called "conversion kit"). That is all included in the price. Case feed is not needed but if you want it (and you will), the hopper costs extra ($217.95) but the actual feed mechanism itself is included in the basic press with a feed tube. Only the automatic case hopper part is separate.

Non press stuff you need is extra. Things like scale, flip tray, caliper, manual.

Dillon will charge you $25 in shipping. Some other places will give you free shipping on your order when you buy a progressive press or certain dollar level for the order.

You won't see much discounts on Dillon stuff at retail due to two factors: 1 is Dillon policy -- their MAP pricing that dealers follow if they want to remain dealers is MSRP. The other reason is that the dealer discount is not huge like it is for some other gun related items, so, after paying credit card fees, paying shipping from Dillon to your shop/warehouse, and often paying free shipping to the customer, there is not a lot left in the first place. No one (except Mike Dillon who gets the wholesale and retail markups) makes a lot of money selling Dillon presses.

sorry to anyone who has tried to call in the last day or so. Besides sickness in the family (kids were last week, wife this week plus I had a few symptoms), are alarm system had an issue yesterday and I spent the day trouble shooting it and driving around to find a piece I needed so I was not around to answer phone calls and return calls.

bornhunter04
06-29-11, 15:59
Thanks for the input. I've followed dillon off and on for several years now and i always wondered why their prices on the website don't fluctuate much or why you never see any promo's listed. Guess now i know!!

My advantage here is that it's going to be a month or two before i can get my bench built and get setup to load, so if i can look around and keep an eye out i might be able to save a few $$$ I knew i'd get some good answers here! Thanks guys!

duece71
06-29-11, 16:21
All,
I hear your word and its all good. I didn't think about S and H, that could jack up the price significantly. With all of the options I want (maybe more research is in order) my bill was over $1000 for a well equiped XL 650 in 45 acp. Thats getting pricey but being able to save money from buying factory is the reason I want to start reloading anyway.
Thanks again.

1_click_off
06-30-11, 20:39
I purchased mine from Brian, I have since recieved more info from chadbag just trying to help out with with my press and reading other info chadbag has given to other users. If I could do it again, I would purchase from chadbag as he seems to be a straight shooter and is willing to help whether you purchase from him or not. Plus no matter where you get a new one from the total investment will be +/- $30 of each other.

I have no relation to chadbag or get any kickbacks off of him, just wish I would have purchased from him due to the help he has provided in the past.

You will be very happy with the Dillon. I have a 550b with a few add on's