PDA

View Full Version : selling a suppressor you own...

f.2
10-21-07, 15:12
Greetings. Is this how a suppressor sale to another person works? Can is currently form 4'd to me of course.

- ensure buyer is in a NFA friendly state

- send in form 4 paperwork and my $200.00 for transfer from me to my local class III dealer

- when approved / stamped form 4 comes in the mail, have my local class III dealer form 3 it to the buyer's class III dealer

- when that is approved, my dealer sends it to the buyer's dealer

- when it arrives, buyer starts form 4 paperwork to transfer can to him

Does that sound about right?

Derek_Connor
10-21-07, 16:12
Essentially yes, that is how it would be done..

Only thing amiss is I think when you transfer the can to your SOT its on a form 3, not a form 4, semantics in this case.....

SHIVAN
10-21-07, 16:48
You can apparently transfer on a Form 4 from you to the receiving dealer.

Then the buyer's dealer can Form 4 it to him. It saves you a step.

Derek_Connor
10-21-07, 17:21

oh...interesting..so class III items do not need to transfer out of state from an existing sot?

as long as when they enter the state they are going to a current sot holder?

SHIVAN
10-21-07, 18:42
Roger that....

So long as the Title II item is going to a Title II FFL, you should be good to go.

I have done two of these in the last 6 months. Both approved without a hitch.

One to Utah and one to Ohio -- from Virginia.

You can do it the way that is described in the original post, but that costs you some time.

f.2
10-21-07, 20:17
SHIVAN,

So if I read this correctly I can get the SOT / class III info (for filling out the form 4) from the buyer's dealer, form 4 it to that dealer directly? Saves me a step and the $50.00 NFA transfer fee that my dealer will charge me. I can completely bypass my dealer.

I take it I would have to check with the buyer's dealer to see if they'll go this route.

SHIVAN
10-21-07, 20:22
In my two cases, I provided the item's serial number, manufacturer address, caliber, and my personal data to the out of state FFL/SOT. That dealer then sent me a signed/partially completed Form 4.

When I got it, I signed it, and forwarded it to BATFE directly with the $200 check.

In a few weeks you will get that completed Form 4 back at your address of record. Then you ship the item via FedEx to the dealer on the Form 4 with proper insurance.

Both of mine went off without a hitch.

f.2
10-28-07, 18:50
I spoke with Tim McCulley and Scot Ferguson, NFA examiners, and they both told me that I could form 4 the can to the buyer's class III FFL. Tim said that I did not have to include a copy of my trust, or a citizenship form, or fill out the back page of the form 4 - transferee questions, certification / signature. In this case, the transferee is the buyer's FFL and I am the transferor. So I included the form 4 and the check. We'll see what happens.

Renegade
10-28-07, 19:45
Greetings. Is this how a suppressor sale to another person works? Can is currently form 4'd to me of course.

- ensure buyer is in a NFA friendly state

- send in form 4 paperwork and my $200.00 for transfer from me to my local class III dealer

- when approved / stamped form 4 comes in the mail, have my local class III dealer form 3 it to the buyer's class III dealer

- when that is approved, my dealer sends it to the buyer's dealer

- when it arrives, buyer starts form 4 paperwork to transfer can to him

Does that sound about right?

Skip the xfer to a local FFL, and send it direct to *any* (except C&R) FFL in the buyer's state. Does not have to be SOT. Can be useful if buyer does not have an SOT nearby.

f.2
11-30-07, 13:40
SHIVAN,

My form 4 is approved and should arrive in a day or so. Is there a FedEx method of shipping (overnight, 2 day, etc.) that is required, or can I go with ground to ship my suppressor + approved form 4 to the OH dealer?

In a few weeks you will get that completed Form 4 back at your address of record. Then you ship the item via FedEx to the dealer on the Form 4 with proper insurance.

Both of mine went off without a hitch.

SHIVAN
11-30-07, 15:22
I used FedEx Standard Overnight as they will actually cover their insurance obligations if something happens en route. You should be able to call them and confirm their rules. UPS will not cover MG's from what I understand. Not sure about suppressors.

f.2
11-30-07, 18:44
Thanks.

I used FedEx Standard Overnight as they will actually cover their insurance obligations if something happens en route. You should be able to call them and confirm their rules. UPS will not cover MG's from what I understand. Not sure about suppressors.

f.2
12-09-07, 20:52
Sale went without a hitch. As advised by the examiners, all I sent in was 2 copies of the F4 and the check. No trust or anything else. Sent the suppressor to the buyer's delaer via FedEx overnight standard - believe it was $35 and change. Now the buyer runs his F4 to the ATF.

Form 4 Sent: 27 October 2007
Check Cashed: 30 October 2007
Pending Date: 23 November 2007
Approved Date: 28 November 2007
Form 4 Received: 03 December 2007

There were a couple Federal days off thrown in there.

gaspipes
12-12-07, 21:31
Man what kind of suppressor was it that you wanted to pay $200 to get rid of it and the buyer paid another $200 tax to buy used?

f.2
12-12-07, 21:56
One that didn't work out.

Man what kind of suppressor was it that you wanted to pay $200 to get rid of it and the buyer paid another $200 tax to buy used?