PDA

View Full Version : M&P pro versus standard fullsize

1911-A1
06-28-11, 14:34
Is there any reason not to choose the pro model over the full-size M&P, since their grips are the same length/size? I'm thinking about a fs model for CCW, and the longer slide of the pro seemed appealing.

HuttoAg96
06-28-11, 14:53
Are you going to put the Apex DCAEK in it? I was looking at the same question and ended up opting for the full size over the pro, even though I compete in IDPA with it. The trigger in the pro is better than the stock one, but I have read a lot of opinions that the DCAEK ends up giving you a better trigger than the one in the pro.

Also, the Pro model has "competition" sights that are slanted, so you can't use the rear sight for emergency slide manipulation... that right there was a no-go for me since it is also my carry gun. The stock rear right has a pretty good notch on the front of the rear sight that you can use to manipulate the slide. I threw the DCAEK+RAM into the full size along with a Dawson Precision fiber front sight, and its good-to-go.

kartoffel
06-28-11, 14:56
If you're interested in a long slide M&P 9, the 2 models to compare are the Pro and the 9L.

The 9L has a bevel at the front of the slide where the recoil spring hole is - the Pro is squared off at the same spot. Weight difference is a fraction of an ounce.

Otherwise, the main difference is the Pro costs about one DCAEK more than the 9L, and the Pro comes with a S&W Performance Center trigger. So, basically, the real issue is: whose trigger do you want it in it?

EDIT: HuttoAg adds another good point on the difference in the rear sights. For what it's worth, I ended up with a LE model 9L with proper combat sights, and put a DCAEK in it. And again, this is purely subjective opinion, but the I feel the Apex triggers beat the shit out of anything coming from the S&W Performance Center.

1911-A1
06-28-11, 15:11
The DCAEK's glowing reviews are what got me interested in M&Ps again. I really liked my friend's gun, but didn't like the reset, and I preferred the trigger on my 1911. If the apex parts are all that people claim, I'm on board. I'll probably replace the sear and trigger in whatever model I get, as well as adding aftermarket sights.

HuttoAg96
06-28-11, 15:33
Don't forget the RAM - that's the part that really adds the tactile and audible reset. I installed the DCAEK and played with it before putting in the RAM. I just got into the M&P game myself after carrying a ruger SR9c for over a year... yeah, the Apex trigger is all that. You can easily install it yourself with a $7 punch kit from Home Depot, too.

polydeuces
06-28-11, 20:36
Something tells me those suggesting "regular or regular long M&P" must not have or shot or own a Pro.. But I could be wrong of course.
I have a pro. Love it. Love the trigger, no APEX needed - I shot a "regular w APEX" it so I have some frame of reference.
Love the sights. Love the size.
Only thing considering to add is APEX reliability, which is the same regardless you get pro or regular, so from where i'm sitting go Pro. If you can find one......:eek

jck397
06-28-11, 23:18
At this point, given the market for M&P's, take what you can get and run with it...

I haven't owned a Pro, but I have played with them in stores, and I did send an M&P 9 FS in for the PC action job/PC sear, and when I got an Apex DCAEK for my 40 FS I promptly ordered another one and swapped out the PC sear in my 9. I would say your money would be better spent on Apex guts than wasting your time w/PC parts. I've had Apex parts turn a horrible M&P trigger to an amazing one, and every M&P I get will have them.

WEC
06-28-11, 23:21
The Pro trigger is better than the factory trigger, but it's even better with Apex parts.

I'm saving my Pro trigger components for if I decide to get a 9c in the future.

Don't forget that the Pro is available in both 5" and 4.25" barrel lengths. I prefer the 4.25" barrel length because it comes with straight night sights and no fiber optic stuff. Plus the rear sight is ledged and not slanted for single-hand manipulation drills.

polydeuces
06-29-11, 08:30
Good suggestions. Either way you can't go wrong. If you can get one....
(CDNN has a really good deal, IF they're still in stock...)
At least the APEX parts are still fully stocked. For now.
Lotsa if's. :)

rjacobs
06-29-11, 09:49
I'll probably replace the sear and trigger in whatever model I get, as well as adding aftermarket sights.

Then dont waste the extra money on the Pro because the only differences between it and the regular(either FS or L) are the sights and the sear. You actually dont replace the trigger at all in either gun(unless you get an APEX FSS and trigger kit) since the only difference is the sear and some springs. The actual trigger is the same.

If you want a 5" gun get the 9L, put sights of your choosing on it and an APEX DCAEK and RAM and be done.

If you want a 4.25" gun get the 9FS, put sights of your choosing on it and an APEX DCAEK and RAM and be done.

If you want a 1911 like trigger, get a 9FS with thumb safety(9L's arent available with a thumb safety from what I can find), throw sights of your choosing on it, and get an APEX FSS and trigger kit. I personally wouldnt carry this kit in a gun without a thumb safety which is also what Randy suggests. But this kit gives you a very 1911 like trigger pull and is simply awesome.

polydeuces
06-29-11, 10:16
FWIW - the M&P listed at CDNN has a thumb-safety.

maximus83
06-29-11, 10:34
I own and shoot both a Pro, and 2 FS models. As someone above posted, the Pro is better than factory FS, but a factory FS with a DCAEK kit plus RAM installed, is better than the Pro.

I personally like my Pro and shoot well with it, and I did find that I could shoot it more accurately than a standard FS, especially at ranges of 15+ yards. However, the DCAEK kit leveled the playing field, and now I can shoot FS models with DCAEK actually better than the Pro. If I were buying today, I'd probably just get FS models and add the DCAEK kit. I don't see that the Pro gives any major benefit versus this setup. Perhaps a bit more velocity given that barrel is about 0.75" longer, but even that is not a huge difference.

gundawg
06-29-11, 13:44
Don't forget the RAM - that's the part that really adds the tactile and audible reset. I installed the DCAEK and played with it before putting in the RAM. I just got into the M&P game myself after carrying a ruger SR9c for over a year... yeah, the Apex trigger is all that. You can easily install it yourself with a $7 punch kit from Home Depot, too.

I a recent convert to the M&P line, i now CC a MP 9 compact, and actually liked the trigger, but do plan to order the RAM from APEX because the only thing I would change is the ability to feel the reset in a most positive manner. I plan to also acquire the MP 9 full-size soon to replace my Sig as my bedside gun, since I would like to keep the same manual of arms of something close to it.

For me my main three soon will be Pocket carry-Kahr CM9, IWB-MP 9c, and bedside/home/winter carry – MP 9 full-size.

brutus895
06-29-11, 18:55
I own 4 M&P pistols, 2 fullsize & 2 compacts, and all of them have the apex DCAEK Kits. I've since sold all of my other plastic guns and haven't looked back.

Love 'em!

brutus895
06-29-11, 19:03
oops double tap

1911-A1
06-29-11, 21:24
I played with a compact and a FS in the store today. I liked the c model but felt the grip was too short, and the capacity wasn't quite what I would have liked.

I am sold on the thumb safety, too.

A FS .45 for CCW is tempting. Too bad the capacity suffers there as well. I'll stick with 9mm, I guess.

Skunk Pilot
06-29-11, 23:16
I just finished installing the Apex FSS & Trigger tonight in my M&P9L. It is even better than what I thought it would be. I had to get the newer sear and take out the stupid internal lock so it would fit. Well I didn't want to spend another 30 minutes screwing around with it so popped out the spring and washer altogether. But if you get a NEW M&P, make sure to ask when it was mfg'd. I thought my new M&P9L would of been only like 2-4 months old since it was very hard to find. But it was over a year old (still NIB) and had the older sear and 3rd gen mags. But had the newer striker. Sucked I had to spend money on the newer sear housing though.

Since your name is 1911-A1, I think you might want to get the FSS & Trigger instead. However I do think getting the thumb safety is a good idea, especially if you have used a 1911 for your CCW. As it would just feel more natural to you.

I know I read that they are working to get the FSS & Trigger to 5lbs. with the DCAEK kit trigger spring and possibly a different sear spring. I thought I read Speed Shooters Specialties will offer the trigger spring, or can just get the whole DCAEK spring kit only (http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=882&type=M&P%20Duty%20/%20Carry%20Spring%20Kit). Or maybe G&R Tactical was the one who was going to just sell the DCAEK trigger spring? Of course I've been at reading overload the last few weeks, which might mean I'm mixing things up.

If I carried everyday and actually went out shooting 1-3 times every 2 weeks I would be fine with the FSS & Trigger at 4 lbs. without the thumb safety, even shooting twice a month. But since I don't, then I think you're wise to get the thumb safety. If you just get the DCAEK then I don't see a need, unless again you still carry a 1911 most days.
-----

Update ___ I missed something really big. Saw someone else post about the letter we got with our FSS & Trigger kit. It states:

• Factory TRS and sear spring- 3.0 lbs
• Competition spring kit- 2 lbs (or less)
• Springs included in kit- 4.75-5.0 lbs

So the factory FSS & Trigger makes it a 4.75 lb to 5.0 lb trigger pull. At first I know Randy and Co. was talking about having it set to 4.0 lbs with all their stuff. Must have had enough people email and call in the last few weeks before it was released to have it at 5 lbs just in case they wanted it as a CCW.

I actually put in the Apex Sear spring, so right now I am going to put in the factory sear spring to get to the 3.0 lbs mark. Pushing on them both is noticeable that the OEM one is softer. I actually like that they did the 4.75-5.0 lb from the get go though, more options right away.

1911-A1
07-01-11, 12:28
Well, I got one! After calling five or six dealers, I found two at Cabelas and grabbed one.

It's a black, full size 9mm with an ambi safety. As I was doing the paperwork, a guy came up and bought the last one. Everyone kept telling me that a gov't contract is making them impossible to get right now, and no distributors have them. I think I hear this excuse every time I go to a gun store regardless of what gun I'm looking at.

At any rate, I am pretty impressed with the gun. The only complaint I have is he stippling under the trigger guard is a little abrasive on my knuckle, but that will be an easy fix.

Now to order mags and a RCH phantom holster.

Thanks for the great input, everyone!