PDA

View Full Version : Saiga bullet-guide question

northern1
06-28-11, 19:18
So I just traded 2 WASR's one of which had a horrible front sight for a converted Saiga with nice wood furniture. I'm not sure of who did the conversion but it looks clean and has a Krebs shepard hook installed along with the bullet guide obviously. Sorry for lack of pics but it doesn't apear the bullet guide is welded at all. Can I trust just it being held in with a screw with it being such an important part to reliable feeding and what I'd have to imagine being a high wear/abuse part. Does Arsenal weld them at all ?

kartoffel
06-28-11, 19:34
Ideally, a Saiga bullet guide should be riveted. Welding heat can affect the temper of the trunnion and receiver. See if you can back the screw out and find a rivet to fit in the existing hole.

EDIT: adding link to a relevant thread with pics on another forum. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/32436-tony-need-help-with-sgl-10-bullet-guide/

northern1
06-29-11, 05:05
Oh wow bud, thanx for the link. My BG is held in with a hex screw and there is no nut on the bottom side so it could back out on me. Not too happy to discover that but now I know my options. I'm going to colaborate with my brother and way those options out.

One more qustion though...... If I can't muster up either the balls or the proper equipment how well would I be served with some JB Weld on that hex screw ? Good, bad or satisfactory solution ?

kartoffel
06-29-11, 09:59
Wouldn't worry about JB Weld. Staking and peening the screw head might be the way to go. The screw or rivet holding the BG in doesn't need insane strength, you just don't ever want it to come loose. A couple of good divots around the edge of the screw head with a center punch is better than nothing, plus it'll give you a set of witness marks if the screw ever starts to back out.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesak/ak47build/akrivets.jpg

northern1
06-29-11, 16:00
Lmao. Classic pic. Thanx again bro

zacii
06-29-11, 20:11
My bullet guide is just screwed in. I'm sure that it would be fine if you used some loctite, or staked the screw.

I can't remember if I use loctite, or not. I'll have to check and see.

It has yet to fail me, though.