PDA

View Full Version : New Carry Options Spend My Money Thread.

davebee456
06-28-11, 22:23
New Pocket Carry Options Spend My Money Thread,

I sold my LCP felt 380acp was not a caliber I was comfortable with when it came to Self Defense.

Sold my Glock 26 stupid but I sold it at a premium because it was OD and I felt it was just as thick as my 19 just printed less.

So..after some research I have decided on these 4, I am leaning on toward the Kahr or Ruger LCR 357.
1.Kahr PM9 9mm.
2.Kahr CM9 9mm.
3.Ruger LCR 357.
4.Walther PPS 9mm.

I read alot of horror stories on the kahr and etc, but on this forum people have had success with the platform, any one with a CM9 has any luck?

skyugo
06-28-11, 22:28
the PPS is looking increasingly appealing to me... seems like the bugs are ironed out, quite a few "serious" guys on this board carry them...
If i do replace my g26 (currently carrying a g19 90% of the time with occasional p7 in a smart carry) it will probably be with a PPS.

F-Trooper05
06-28-11, 22:29
What's wrong with your G19?

brzusa.1911
06-28-11, 22:36
EMP 9mm

davebee456
06-28-11, 22:39
I do carry my Glock 19 now, but it gets very hot in atlanta and it does print in a tee shirt, I like pocket carrying in july and august,

RagweedZulu
06-28-11, 22:40
I agree, stick with the Glock platform. Use the G19 or get another G26. Don't worry about their reliability and youll also not be limited to 5 rounds in a cylinder.

Magic_Salad0892
06-28-11, 23:12
Glock 19, or Kahr PM9.

MichaelD
06-28-11, 23:33
Shot a buddy's PPS this past weekend; very nice little gun. Of the choices you list, that's the one I'd go with.

forgiven
06-29-11, 00:49
Go back to the 26 or a P2000sk.

davebee456
06-29-11, 11:15
I had a P2000Sk That I traded for a Hk45C. I think Ill test out a PPS 9mm, and a Ruger LCR 357.

demkofour
06-29-11, 11:41
For pocket carry, which is what this tread is referring to, I have have had great success with the the PM9 platform. My everyday carry is an issued G19, but for times that I do not carry the G19 (for whatever reason...), I find myself going with the following: A Smith 342Ti in an Alessi pocket holster or a PM9 in either an Alessi or a Desantis pocket holster. The 342Ti is amazingly light and comfortable but frankly I prefer the KAHR as I can more easily carry extra ammo. It's a full power 9mm and I can go not feeling necessarily under armed.
Obviously, YMMV, but my PM9 works for me in the pocket carry role...

gundawg
06-29-11, 13:56
Kahr for size, and the ease of carrying a extra 7 round mag for back up to give you 14 total in a package that you would almost forget is there. If price is no object then PM9, if you like to save about 200$ CM9 works just as well. My next buy is a CM9, and I shot a friends just last week and can’t tell a difference from the PM9.

Funny thing is I turned my friend on to the Kahr line and he got one before I could. I told him to break it down, follow the Kahr Chart to lube it , and rack the slide about a hundred times before you start you 200 round break in. He got it, next day out of box put 150 rounds through it 3 different ammos and not a single issue, two days later another 100 rounds and again not a hiccup.

I am a MP, Sig and HK fan mainly, but Kahr is doing it right these days, and for size, weight, shootablity it’s hard to beat in the CCW market. CM9 is ranging from 405.00-455.00 these days, and is next on my buy list right before my first AR build starts.

Hogsgunwild
06-29-11, 14:28
I have shot the PM9 a good bit and really like the gun.

I owned the PPS in .40 S&W and it too was a great little gun. Felt like a single-stack version of the Glock, trigger and all.

Pocket carried as a BUG and / or as a primary the S&W 340PD for about six years. This is about the size of the LCR and was about 12 ounces. Great gun but I got tired of the five shots only, slow reloads that don't carry well in the other pocket and mostly how a revolver cylinder rubs on my leg plus had a bit more bulge than I'd have preferred.

My solution was the Rohrbaugh R9. Love it as a pocket gun and never looked back. 6+1 of (non +P) 9MM and two extra six round mags in the other front pocket if I wanted them.

Very reliable and very accurate. Worth the nine bills I paid and then some. Much more concealable than the guns that you have listed, at least for front pocket carry.

Otherwise, the PPS and PM9 were accurate and reliable in my experience. I liked them both but they served no purpose for me after buying the Rorhbaugh.

SmokeJumper
06-29-11, 14:44
It's funny that I just saw this thread, because I just sold my LCP too. It sat in the safe and never got carried. I went for my S&W J-frame or PM9 for pocket carry/BUG duty. I was thinking about getting a Ruger LCR in .38Spl with the XS tritium front sight as an additional alternate, should I not have the J-frame available to carry. Any input on the LCR would be great.
As for your questions on looking for a pocket gun, the G26 is a potentially viable candidate, but a bit more bulky and heavier than the LCR,J-Frame, or PM9 making pocket carry hard/uncomfortable, at least for me. The J-Frame and PM9 carry well in ankle or pocket holsters. I carry a spare speed strip with my J-Frame as my BUG and with the PM9 either the 7 rnd. mag or 8 rnd. mag as a reload. Let us know what you end up with.

NOVARC51
06-29-11, 16:41
New Pocket Carry Options Spend My Money Thread,

I sold my LCP felt 380acp was not a caliber I was comfortable with when it came to Self Defense.

Sold my Glock 26 stupid but I sold it at a premium because it was OD and I felt it was just as thick as my 19 just printed less.

So..after some research I have decided on these 4, I am leaning on toward the Kahr or Ruger LCR 357.
1.Kahr PM9 9mm.
2.Kahr CM9 9mm.
3.Ruger LCR 357.
4.Walther PPS 9mm.

I read alot of horror stories on the kahr and etc, but on this forum people have had success with the platform, any one with a CM9 has any luck?

IMO = Ruger LCR 357.

davebee456
06-29-11, 17:26
Its down to the LCR 357 or S&W 642 nolock. I think I am just going to pick the lightest one.

Buckshot TX
06-29-11, 21:43
If weight is an issue, why are you ingnoring the LCR 38spl?

davebee456
06-29-11, 23:05
The only reason I did not want the LCR in 38spl is because there were numerous cases of the aluminum frame of the LCR 38sp being flame cut by the blast of the round. I am not sure if they fixed that on the 38 frame but I know the LCR 357 is a stainless steel frame so this would not be an issue at all.

SmokeJumper
06-30-11, 00:59
I've only read about one case of flame cutting on the .38 spl LCR on the Internet. I would guess this may be possible with hot hand loads or extended shooting sessions with only +P loads. A local dealer told me that flame cutting was a possible issue with the very early models, maybe someone with more expeience on the LCR can chime in. I do know the .357 is defenitely heavier than the .38 and just like with a J-Frame, you won't really want to shoot .357's a lot in it.

davebee456
06-30-11, 01:10
Thanks for the input so I looked at the Walther PPS today and like that too but not for pocket carry,seems the LCR 38 is 13 ounces
s&w 642 is 15 ounces and the LCR 357 is 17 ounces
I just have to decide if the two extra ounces from
the 642 to the LCR 357 is worth it the ability to shoot the magnums.

fhpchris
06-30-11, 02:31
As much as I am a fan of automatics, if you really want a low weight system, I would really be tempted to use a wheelgun over something like the walther PPS.

The S&W 360PD is 11 ounces and 357 mag :)

Drew78
06-30-11, 06:01
the LCR 38 spl flame cutting was a case of a batch of frames missing a heat treamtment step. I have over 600 rds through my LCR 38 with no issues what so ever and not even a hint of erosion above the FC.

jb7304
06-30-11, 08:45
I have a Kahr CM9 which I purchased several weeks ago. I currently have 500 rounds of fmj and jhp through it with no malfunctions. The CM9 is extremely accurate for such a small pistol.

I have been carrying it in a Desantis Nemesis in the pocket of my cargo shorts with no problem.

I added Trijicon night sights which I purchased from Kahr's website. The CM9 has replaced my 442 as my carry gun for the warm months. The sights on the CM9 are a huge improvement over the sights on a J frame revolver.

SmokeJumper
06-30-11, 14:35
the LCR 38 spl flame cutting was a case of a batch of frames missing a heat treamtment step. I have over 600 rds through my LCR 38 with no issues what so ever and not even a hint of erosion above the FC.

Thanks for that clarification, all LCR owners I've spoke with as of late sing nothing but praises for the little Ruger .38.

Buckshot TX
06-30-11, 22:10
My understanding is that the flame cutting issue was solved during the 1st year of production. I only have a sample of one, but I've shot the snot out of mine with no observable mechanical wear.
I've found the LCR 38 to be more comfortable recoil-wise than the 342s & 642s I carried for many years (my belief is that the polymer subframe is absorbing some of the shock). I've found that the average out of the box LCR action is as good a well tuned J frame, & the distance between the backstrap & the trigger face is ergonomically much more correct for the average male hand than the J. I, myself have NO desire to shoot magnums out of the steel LCR, but I'd much rather do so than the alloy Smiths.

davebee456
07-01-11, 00:58
I decided on the LCR 357 due to this is the last handgun I plan on buying (untill the new striker fired Hk 9mm) and its like getting two for one, I will load it up with 38+p gold dots most likely.

so thank u all for your input and etc.

See you soon when I debate buying a my 2nd AR
1. DDM4v3
or
2. BCM Lower and Midlength CHF Upper!