PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 Shims for AAC Mount

JadeRaven
06-28-11, 23:29
Anyone know where I can pick up some shims to mount up a Brakeout that I have that didn't come with the shims? Would a hardware store carry this?

I know I can order them from AAC, but it's killing me to spend $5 for a few slivers of metal plus $10 shipping. Really $15 isn't terrible when I'm spending $1300 on a silencer and a mount but it seems like I could get for a few cents at a hardware store but I don't know the specs. :o

I've been told that rocksett and a crush washer will do the trick but when the can is on the line I want it to be as solid as possible.

Tanks :D

JasonM
06-29-11, 07:26
if your brakeout didn't come with shims, call or email Mike Mers:
mers@advanced-armament.com or 770-925-9988

He'll send you a shim pack for free.

DON'T use hardware store washers or a crush washer!

JadeRaven
06-29-11, 10:15
Oh yeah I had asked Mike about it but I don't know if it's y'all's fault or not since I got it second-hand. New, but not from a dealer.

My dealer sold me another brakeout that came with the shims between the instructions. So who knows.

Thanks though!

ccosby
06-30-11, 23:04
Most places sell the kits for like 5 bucks plus shipping. I think gemtech only charged me 5 bucks for shipping instead of the 10 aac quoted you. Almost everyones I've seen are the same set.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/muzzle-device-alignment-set-58x24-p-474.html

I had a ps90 flash hider I wanted to order from gemtech so I just added a few sets of the shims to the order. Figured I'd rather have a few packs sitting around.

I will say the sets have generally 3 "sets" of shims. I big one, a small one, and a bunch of medium ones. The medium ones are not all the same thickness. Didn't have an upper block so I had a local hk smith install the peal washers on one of my uppers. He used a set of digital calipers and figured out the middle ones were in a few sizes.

JadeRaven
07-01-11, 11:03