PDA

View Full Version : Colt SP6940 Upper Good to Go?

kerplode
06-29-11, 01:04
I'm looking to replace one of my carbine uppers with something nicer. It's a CMMG, and while it's worked OK so far, it's just not in the same quality class as my LMT and BCM uppers. I've been eyeing a Colt SP6940 upper, but I haven't found much info on them. A search here just turned up a couple of threads, one of which was mostly an argument regarding "mil/le only" rollmarks. There was some mention of the SP rifles being identical to the LE models, however. I'm assuming this carries over to the separate uppers, and that being Colt they're GTG, but I thought I'd ask before I start spending money.

And yes, I realize I should be spending money on training...With any luck, one of these days my schedule will free up and I'll be able to arrange a couple days to attend a good class. :smile:

cqbdriver
06-29-11, 05:07
I have a LE6940. I can’t speak to any differences between the LE & SP, but I doubt there are any. The LE6940 is a real nice shooter. There are only 2 things that I dislike about it:
- Carbine length rail & no way to change.
- The lower rail is removable. It doesn’t lock up tight on my rifle and moves fwd & aft a little. Doesn’t affect function, but it is slightly annoying.

bsmith_shoot
06-29-11, 05:30
As far as function and reliability is concerned, they are very GTG. I might look into a 6920 if I had any intentions of ever doing any modifications though, theyre cheaper, and easier to work with.

Iraqgunz
06-29-11, 08:12
I would advise against the 6940. You are stuck with the rail and without special tools or someone with those special tools you will not be able to make changes.

I would go with something else.

C4IGrant
06-29-11, 08:23
Colt LE and Colt SP come DIRECTLY from Colt Defense. They are the same in every way.

C4

kerplode
06-29-11, 14:49
Thanks guys! Need to do some more thinking/research and decide what direction I want to go...

d90king
06-29-11, 15:10
I had a 6940 for a short time and IMHO there are better options available in todays marketplace... The mono rail was the killer for me and you are stuck with no way to improve upon it. Great rifle as far as quality etc but I don't think it was as well thought out as it should have been for todays AR market.

I will say it was remarkably accurate. If you want a mono upper check out the LMT MRP which gives you just enough rail space IMHO. 9" is my minimum for my shooting style.

markm
06-29-11, 15:13
I will say it was remarkably accurate.

Pappabear has one and the thing is ridiculously accurate. He was going to have SAW cut it down to an SBR, but the thing shoots so well as is, he couldn't do it.

C-grunt
06-29-11, 15:41
A couple buddies at work have them. They are well made and very accurate but you are stuck with that rail. If you like that rail then it would be a good option. If you have ever thought about something longer/different I would just get a 6920 and mod it.

d90king
06-29-11, 15:43
Pappabear has one and the thing is ridiculously accurate. He was going to have SAW cut it down to an SBR, but the thing shoots so well as is, he couldn't do it.

That would be bad ass! I have seen one done and it was very nicely executed and IIR SAW did it... The short rail with no FSB makes it tough though... Its like your hand falls off a cliff.

Mine was a no joke sub MOA carbine...

scottryan
06-29-11, 16:50
They need to come out with a 10" rail with 11.5" barrel.