PDA

View Full Version : Beryl or Mini Beryl - what to choose

montrala
06-29-11, 06:25
My birthday is coming and my gf together with my parents want me to name what I desire. I tough that it is time to finally get something made in Poland. So I'm thinking to get civilian (semi) version of what our boys use in sandbox. My application will be of course training and 3Gun matches. For know I use 16.5" HK MR223 riffle. As funny as it might sound, I have 0 (zero) experience with AK-based rifles, except firing few rounds out of them or from SVD.

So I'm thinking between getting this:

Radom Sport (http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/?d=116)

http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/img/_164111_karabinek_radom_sport.jpg

and this:

Radom Sport Mini (page is about military version as civi one is new product) (http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/?d=112)

http://en.fabrykabroni.pl/img/_155213_mini_beryl_1.jpg

I plan to use rifle with RDS (Aimpoint Micro most probably). Mini version has rear sight inside rail section that cantilevers over receiver.

So, what do you think?

LettersFromEarth
06-29-11, 10:29
Seeing as I'm married to a Polish girl who is only 5'2"...get the Mini. ;)

The Mini seemed to me, with limited time handling both in Iraq, the better balanced and easier handling weapon of the two.

Glad to know a rifle of this type and quality is available to you, brother.

Please keep us posted as to your decision.

Good luck. :smile:

GermanSynergy
06-29-11, 10:32
I like the looks of the full sized "sport". :D

You guys can sure buy some cool guns in Poland. :cool:

montrala
06-29-11, 10:37
You guys can sure buy some cool guns in Poland. :cool:

Some of us can. And, although some are cool, I would gladly exchange them for wast selection on US market. And US pricing :smile:

mike_f
06-29-11, 13:13
I have limited experience firing a select fire Mini Beryl.

Pros:
More Compact, easier to manipulate in tight spaces than a full size AK-type rifle
Looks cooler

Cons:
More difficult to control recoil than an AK w/ full size gas system
Violent casing ejection w/ NATO spec ammo (about 10 feet in the air and 15-20 feet behind shooting position)
Significantly increased muzzle blast

I think either rifle would do fine at 3-gun matches. Do you want something very different from your HK MR223 or would you prefer an AK rifle more similar in size to the rifle you already own?

montrala
06-29-11, 17:23
Do you want something very different from your HK MR223 or would you prefer an AK rifle more similar in size to the rifle you already own?

It is good point. I have this strange feeling every time I look on my MR223 and hacksaw.... 10.4" is very tempting for HK,

Maybe if I will go for Mini, HK will be safe and can be used as "Match Rifle" while I would use mini for "fun 3Gun shooting" (we do not shoot 3Gun past 100m due to lack of longer ranges big enough to hold more than 1 stage).

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-29-11, 19:35
Get the mini!

NOVARC51
06-29-11, 21:40
Get the mini!

I agree.

montrala
06-30-11, 06:18
But this cantilever rail on Mini... :jester:

If it had same rail as regular version I would not think twice.

Like on this new FB Radom prototype with STANAG adapter (also takes non mil-spec mags like P-Mag):

http://altair.com.pl/files/news/2010/09/i-i10-09-016beryl_03.jpg

helothar
06-30-11, 18:00
the rails look too high up to allow for co-witness of optics, is this the case?

TOrrock
06-30-11, 21:12
Get the mini!

Mini!

120mm
06-30-11, 22:13
I have limited experience firing a select fire Mini Beryl.

Pros:
More Compact, easier to manipulate in tight spaces than a full size AK-type rifle
Looks cooler

Cons:
More difficult to control recoil than an AK w/ full size gas system
Violent casing ejection w/ NATO spec ammo (about 10 feet in the air and 15-20 feet behind shooting position)
Significantly increased muzzle blast

I think either rifle would do fine at 3-gun matches. Do you want something very different from your HK MR223 or would you prefer an AK rifle more similar in size to the rifle you already own?

How much different is the Mini Beryl to the Yugo M92? I've found my M92 to have less muzzle blast and less felt recoil than comparable AKs. We ran my issue M92 next to a regular Yugo rifle just last month and it was amazing.

mike_f
06-30-11, 22:41
How much different is the Mini Beryl to the Yugo M92? I've found my M92 to have less muzzle blast and less felt recoil than comparable AKs. We ran my issue M92 next to a regular Yugo rifle just last month and it was amazing.

I have a semi-only M92. The mini Beryl is pushing 5.56 through a barrel less than 10" (if I remember correctly). The M92 in 7.62 seems to have a lot less muzzle blast.

The mini Beryl I fired seemed to be really over gassed (even for an AK) and the brass flew an amazing height & distance. The M92's bolt carrier assembly doesn't seem move as violently in recoil.

The mini Beryl didn't have a lot of felt recoil, I just think that the differences in the gas system make it more difficult to control compared to a full size AK in the same caliber.

120mm
07-01-11, 07:19
I have a semi-only M92. The mini Beryl is pushing 5.56 through a barrel less than 10" (if I remember correctly). The M92 in 7.62 seems to have a lot less muzzle blast.

The mini Beryl I fired seemed to be really over gassed (even for an AK) and the brass flew an amazing height & distance. The M92's bolt carrier assembly doesn't seem move as violently in recoil.

The mini Beryl didn't have a lot of felt recoil, I just think that the differences in the gas system make it more difficult to control compared to a full size AK in the same caliber.

Check. Thanks.

eternal24k
07-01-11, 07:46
I personally would get the full size, but the mini would earn you more cool points than I can count :D

montrala
07-01-11, 08:10
I personally would get the full size, but the mini would earn you more cool points than I can count :D

Never underestimate power of duct tape, zip tie and cool factor! :lol: Mini it will be then :smile:

Anyway, order is at factory and I will try to negotiate different ralis configuration.

BTW I just learned that Mini was presented at SHOT, without stock, as "Radom Archer Pistol" and as a pistol it can be imported to USA.

eternal24k
07-01-11, 08:14
yes, I am patiently waiting for the Radom imports, very exciting. You Poles make damn fine weapons :smile:

et2041
07-01-11, 08:33
Is it difficult to own weapons in Poland? My wife is Ukrainian and it takes a lot of time and cash (paying the right people) to own any handgun or weapon...and semi-auto is forbidden.

montrala
07-01-11, 09:05
yes, I am patiently waiting for the Radom imports, very exciting. You Poles make damn fine weapons :smile:

But we do whatever we can to not sell them :confused:

Some say that putting all our military industry into one, politically involved, company (Bumar) has something to do with it. Other say, that our military industry just did not noticed that we transformed from communistic country to open market and it is not that army will buy everything they make for any money they want. Actually it is years of work by group of people trying to convince Bumar and FB Radom, that money are laying on streets and they just need to take them (civilian market). If you can imagine manufacturer less open to civi market than HK, you are spot on. But I really hope we can change that.

Is it difficult to own weapons in Poland? My wife is Ukrainian and it takes a lot of time and cash (paying the right people) to own any handgun or weapon...and semi-auto is forbidden.

It is (or was) very difficult, almost impossible. But some of us put lot of effort to change that and we managed to get law changed in way, that basically if individual fulfils all law requirements than can obtain (however complicated it is) sporting, hunting, collector or souvenir type or firearm permit. Problem is Police in some areas of country is refusing to implement new law and Ministry of Interior and Administration prepares new change to law to counteract this (under disguise of providing security for Euro2012 soccer games).

We also try to form something NRA like, but for know govt administration and court refuses to register it using administrative tricks.

CCW permits are still 100% at Police discretions.

w3453l
07-01-11, 23:09

I heard about that a while ago, is there any news?

w3453l
07-01-11, 23:10
I forgot to add, get the mini. If you can't get both

sto lat

Moose-Knuckle
07-02-11, 00:48
Get the mini for the CDI factor alone. :p

eternal24k
07-03-11, 15:30
I heard about that a while ago, is there any news?

aparantly the company (or companies?) were approved and I am not sure beyond that. For all I know things could be pending at customs or pending some sort of ATF approval. If I remember correctly, I.O. Inc was one of the importers (and many years ago Lancaster told me they were working on it, but I do not think that went anywhere).

montrala
07-04-11, 06:32
I will try to get info how it looks at FB Radom side.

montrala
10-16-11, 16:13
So Mini Beryl it is :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NEQW6K0l938/TptC0wXvmMI/AAAAAAAAAF8/9aM4W5qIc_Y/s1600/beryl2.jpg

My Mini Beryl is in "modernized" version, that was developed using combat experience from Iraq and Afghanistan combat missions of Polish troops. This include railed handguard and collapsible buttstock, in place of foldable, but not adjustable one. Barrel and piston are carbon-nitrided instead of chromed, technology employed by FB Radom since 1994. It uses polymer (with polymer feed lips), 30rd magazines, that are made in black on two translucent versions; green and white. FB Radom, by demand of our troops, designed adapter for STANAG magazine, that employs ambidextrous magazine release. Rifle uses traditional front sight, with switchable peep/notch sight at end of cantilever rail over receiver.

Second picture shows rifle in configuration with standard VFG and issue 3 point sling. My target configuration will be quite different to suit my preferences.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ukgHxZtfksc/TptCzLb_BZI/AAAAAAAAAF0/8r1wUwQQTRI/s1600/beryl1.jpg

On last picture I show field stripped rifle, without removing handguard. It is removable, but it sits very tight, because it can be potentially used to mount red dot sight. It does not provide so stable, zero holding, platform as cantilever rail, but allows lower sitting of sight.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nFcgtfqGxDM/TptCxbjfObI/AAAAAAAAAFs/5wLCvHiC2_A/s1600/beryl3.jpg

I did not have a chance to shoot it yet, but I will surely give range report on this soon.:big_boss:

VLODPG
10-16-11, 18:03
Very Nice,

My wife now wants one! :)