PDA

View Full Version : Return to Zero - Really?

Det-Sog
06-29-11, 13:21
I did a search, but did not fond the reference that I am looking for.

I am one of those people that had one optic on my first carbine mounted there for 20+ years, and never took it off. It worked fine, so I had no reason to change it out. Fast forward 20 years....

I have recently upgraded to an TA-31 ACOG, but may need to switch back and forth between that and a no magnification RDS. I'm thinking of a nice Aimpoint.

My solution would be to just buy another AR and put the RDS on it. The wife will have no part of this. So, when these things say RTZ, does this really mean RTZ? Or does this mean within one or two MOA after reinstall? Experiences?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-29-11, 13:28
Well in my experiend with nightforce bases and rings on my precsion rifles. I have experience zero shift in my system when changing out optics.

On my carbine I routinley pull off my eotec and run iron sights and re instal it. I have done this at least 50 times with no shift in zero at 50 yards or at least not enough to worry about with a weapon I have never employed beyond 200 yards.

I have some other mounts from DD and larue but I have never tried it whith them.

C4IGrant
06-29-11, 13:35
I did a search, but did not fond the reference that I am looking for.

I am one of those people that had one optic on my first carbine mounted there for 20+ years, and never took it off. It worked fine, so I had no reason to change it out. Fast forward 20 years....

I have recently upgraded to an TA-31 ACOG, but may need to switch back and forth between that and a no magnification RDS. I'm thinking of a nice Aimpoint.

My solution would be to just buy another AR and put the RDS on it. The wife will have no part of this. So, when these things say RTZ, does this really mean RTZ? Or does this mean within one or two MOA after reinstall? Experiences?

One of my favorite topics. Will they return to zero? Yes (assuming it is a good brand).

The question I always ask though, is how would you know?? Meaning:

1. Barrel accuracy: 2-4" Groups
2. Ammo accuracy: 2-4" Groups
3. 2 or 4 MOA Dot (if using an Aimpoint)
4. Shooter's capability: 2-4" Groups

C4

fuse
06-29-11, 13:37
Most if not all DD mounts are non return to zero.

Det-Sog
06-29-11, 13:51
One of my favorite topics. Will they return to zero? Yes (assuming it is a good brand).

The question I always ask though, is how would you know?? Meaning:

1. Barrel accuracy: 2-4" Groups
2. Ammo accuracy: 2-4" Groups
3. 2 or 4 MOA Dot (if using an Aimpoint)
4. Shooter's capability: 2-4" Groups

C4Thanks Grant!

Specifically, as long as the RTZ falls in the muck of the tolerances that you just mentioned, correct, I would not notice. I am man enough to admit that my shooting skills will be the weak link in the chain.

If a good mount (open to suggestions) will accomplish this, I see no problem in going this route.

Now, just to start saving money. I was browsing Aimpoints on your site this morning. Like with the ACOG, I'll save up a bit and do it right.

Thanks everyone!

Failure2Stop
06-29-11, 14:02
I have seen LaRue mounts return to within 1 MOA of initial zero over 10 shots.

Singlestack Wonder
06-29-11, 14:13
Using ACOGS with ADM mounts, I've never experienced an issue with them returning to zero.

C4IGrant
06-29-11, 14:33
Most if not all DD mounts are non return to zero.

You can actually get these mounts to return to zero. I use a calibrated Toque wrench and withness marks.

C4

shootist~
06-29-11, 14:40
Same here on ADM mounts on two Aimpoints - close enough you could not tell at 100 Yds. (Only one has been off numerous times, however.) Set them pretty tight and marked the rail # on the mount so you can't forget.

LaRue with a magnified optic on a rifle with enough accuracy to tell has been within a half MOA or less on several occasions.

My Bobro *might* have been off as much as two MOA once but with windy conditions at the time, it's hard to say.

masakari
06-29-11, 22:26
Get a larue mount for your acog and you wont regret it. Mine returns to zero perfectly when swapping for my trijicon reflex.

JSantoro
06-29-11, 22:48
So, when these things say RTZ, does this really mean RTZ? Or does this mean within one or two MOA after reinstall? Experiences?

Given the devices you are talking about and a good mount for each, it means, all other things being equal, within .5MOA.

The TA51 mount on the TA31 is a decent mount, presuming consistency in each mounting, same with any torsion mount.

I concur with the LaRue suggestion, with ADM being next in line. Both will do what you want. If you're not concerned with toolless/QD capability, the LT-100 and similar variants allow you to select the VFZ option.

fuse
06-30-11, 09:47
You can actually get these mounts to return to zero. I use a calibrated Toque wrench and withness marks.

C4

Pretty cool. They are not advertised as rtz, is what I meant.

ra2bach
06-30-11, 10:58
my T-1 on a DD mount returned to zero or at least as near as I can determine at 50 yards.

SA80Dan
06-30-11, 13:59
Both my ADM and Bobro mount seem to come back very close (1 MOA, as far as I can tell). Whether its exact or not - Grants points and shootists weather comment stand, especially as I run an absolute 200 meter zero with a confirmed dial up to a 300M zero and am a bit OCD about it. The further your actual zero, the more chance you'll detect a very slight shift. If I was limited to shooting at 50 yards, I think I could pull the scopes on and off all day and wouldn't notice a difference.

Det-Sog
06-30-11, 20:19
Thanks for the great intel everyone. This was exactly what I wanted to know.