PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider it handicapping yourself by sticking to three calibers only?

gundawg
06-29-11, 14:42
This is not a caliber war, but more a observation in expanding my know how, education and collection of all things that go BOOM. I recently made a hard choice and moved my concentration from .357 sig, to 9mm since I chose to carry 9mm in my EDC and fact is I shoot the 9mm better. Funds are limited as well so I am not much of a collector, every gun I have gets used and has a purpose, and felt it was best to build up your stores of what you like to shoot and will use.

The three calibers I have narrowed things down to are 9mm, 5.56/.223, and .308, because over all they address a need. I have started hoarding my 9mm which is up to about 2,500 practice rounds, and 800 SD rounds(Hornady, Gold dot, and HST). I have already put in a order for a few different types of 5.56/.223 to test through my new AR that i hope to build within the month, and now I am looking at a .308 down the road in a AR format.

The reasoning behind all this is I feel when you spread yourself around between every caliber under the sun you take away in some measure how good you can become in 2 or 3 calibers. Just thinking out loud and wondered what many here thought.

Boxerglocker
06-29-11, 15:07
I consolidated to all 9mm for all 6 handguns in the last 2 years. I load and shoot 2-2.5k a month and it makes a significant impact in my budget. I used to load .40 and.45acp as well keep components in reserve should a good deal come my way. I also load 600-800 rounds of .223/5.56 a month. For me it makes sense and allows me to shoot all I want. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all, occasionally a buddy will load me a .45 1911 for a local match and I find that transitioning is not an issue. My guns though all 9mm are in both Glock and 1911 platforms. I also have a S&W MP 15-22 that I buy bulk ammo for for training, comes in handy at our local club were the bays available are small at times. We run 1/3 scale targets or 6 inch steel for TAC rifle practice.
I keep up to 10K of 9mm and 5K of .223/5.56 reloading components always on hand. Another 800-1000 of 9mm and 5.56 factory FMJ and 300 rounds of 9mm and 5.56 SD on hand in reserve. I also keep about 300 rounds of 12 gauge 00 buck and slugs for my Remington 870 tactical.

Palmguy
06-29-11, 15:10
I consider it more a mark of efficiency than that of handicapping yourself. Think of it as an application of the SIMP principle (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70)...

brzusa.1911
06-29-11, 15:12
I have 4 calibers, but only need three.
EDC - 9mm
Outdoors - 10mm
HD - 5.56

I have .45acp just because I like 1911s :D

rob_s
06-29-11, 15:13
I expand and contract re: caliber choices.

What I've found to be more,or at least as, important is consolidating on platforms.

I can standardize on the AR and get:
.22 training gun - teaching new shooters, ranges with caliber limitations
9mm subgun - subgun matches, indoor ranges
5.56 SBR - general use
30 BLK suppressed SBR - home defense
6.8 SPC hunting rifle - hunting
.308 long-range precision - precision
and on
and on

gundawg
06-29-11, 15:38
i have to admit the 12ga would serve a huge purpose and i would have to add that, in fact maybe before the .308 if i had to stick with 3 only. It’s partly my fault in being taken over by the Black gun craziness that has swept me up the past few weeks that i left out 12ga.

I think the 12 ga can handle some things better than a 9mm, or 5.56, and the 5.56 can be effective up to a range that most people consider a long shot.

So if stuck with 3 it would be 9mm, 12ga, 5.56, if four add .308

duece71
06-29-11, 16:27
Good discussion. I have been trying to do the same with respect to the number of different calibers. 9mm and 45 are my handgun mainstays (one .357 but it is more of a collector). .308 and .223/5.56 for rifle and 12 gauge for shotgun. I don't feel the need to go to .40 or .357sig or any others (.380, .32acp...). More calibers would become like the .357, just one more caliber that I feel I have to keep up on.

sinister
06-29-11, 16:40
Unless you have a job requirement that requires you only shoot three calibers you're handicapping yourself.

What are your training goals and ultimately why are you training?

I routinely shoot:

and .338 Lapua Magnum.

Every few years I shoot 9mm (military and National Match bullseye shooting) and 12 gauge -- more for 3-gun competition or breaching refresher than anything else.

Hoarding is neither shooting nor training.

RWBlue
06-29-11, 17:13
I applaud the idea, but I have never been able to do it.
In a survival situation, you could do sidearm, shotgun and then a rifle. I don’t think that most people would consider this under gunned.

You have limited your woods guns (hunting/survival).
You have limited your ability for African safari.
You have limited your ability for experimentation.

I try to buy guns in the cartridges they were made for AND/OR for a purpose. By your choices you will not get an AK in a prefered setup. You will not be getting a 1911 in the traditional setup. You will not be ....

My suggestion is to have primary calibers and/or cartridges. Buy it cheap and stock it deep for these and then have other cartridges/guns for specific purposes. I have a 458WM. I use it to keep elephants away. I only have 100 rounds of ammo for this rifle. It is enough. Since I purchased it, I have not seen any elephants in my back yards.

rob_s
06-29-11, 18:45
Hoarding is neither shooting nor training.

This is true, but on the civilian side combining all three is prudent. Especially when one tries to hedge costs and buy low, shoot high. :D

d90king
06-29-11, 19:01
Yes. Why would you ever want to limit your firearm selection based on a 3 caliber rule. Are you talking about some "zombie" type of reasoning?

I shoot:
9mm Glocks
.45 38 Super and 10mm 1911's (I rarely shoot 38 Super and 10mm but I like to when I feel like it)
5.56 AR's V93
6.8 AR's
7.62X39 AK's and VZ 58's
.308 Bolt's
12/20 gauge Shotguns

I can't think of a single platform that I would want to do without and thats only 8 platforms....

gundawg
06-29-11, 19:05
My hoarding is more about buying in bulk to keep prices down. On a good week I can go through 200-300 rounds of 9mm, so on the low end that is about 9,000 rounds a year.

mizer67
06-29-11, 20:13
I don't limit myself to just 3 calibers, but most of my training is done with just 3:

9mm
5.56mm
.22LR

Simply for cost. Used to shoot .40 S&W in place of 9mm, but am transitioning over.

I do give a lot of consideration before adding a caliber, and even more for a platform, simply because the logisitcs train gets longer, costlier and more complex.

Stump70
06-29-11, 20:23
I've always been of the mindset you shouldn't really need any more than 5 firearms that you know, love,cradle when the missus isn't there( or when deeply asleep;)) and shoot all the time.
.22lr
Pistol in 9mm or .45ACP(option for .40 if you must)
AR type weapon
Shotgun
.308 or .30-06 that can reach out and touch stuff.

Anything more is weight that needs to be carried and other calibers that need to be fed that others might not have as far as interchangeability.Missions change, these seem to fill the gaps when needed.

MHO

duece71
06-29-11, 21:07
I've always been of the mindset you shouldn't really need any more than 5 firearms that you know, love,cradle when the missus isn't there( or when deeply asleep;)) and shoot all the time.
.22lr
Pistol in 9mm or .45ACP(option for .40 if you must)
AR type weapon
Shotgun
.308 or .30-06 that can reach out and touch stuff.

Anything more is weight that needs to be carried and other calibers that need to be fed that others might not have as far as interchangeability.Missions change, these seem to fill the gaps when needed.

MHO

You too??? :p:D

gundawg
06-29-11, 21:20
Just glad to see no matter what forum I read I always see a basic appreciation in the thing we all love , guns and ammo

ST911
06-29-11, 22:02
The only calibers I seem to shoot are .22LR, 40SW, 38SPL, .223/5.56, .308/7.62, and 12ga. 12ga is minimal. Everything I hunt, or have need to defend myself against, can be managed by these calibers. When the job stops furnishing 40SW, those guns will be 9mm.

Other calibers may be useful for some, but my needs are met with the above. Were I to undertake a safari, or really-big game hunting, I would make other choices.

ccosby
06-29-11, 22:46
I'd say in a way you are. I can see focusing your selection down to a few types for the majority of your collection but you never know what you might want out of it. 22lr for very cheap target practice, a 357 revolver, a classic 1911, etc.

It makes sense to try to organize your firearms to limited calibers when possible but having the odd balls in the mix can be good.

During the last ammo scare I could pretty much shoot any of the major pistol calibers I could find because I had guns in all of them. That being said I still generally focus on 45's. If I ran across a bunch of 9mm though I could pick it up and run guns with it.

gundawg
06-30-11, 08:21
In thinking more on this, if this ideology holds up in my eyes, then it would be beneficial to actually have at least two of every firearm I choose or at least a second one that is very similar to my main in case the first malfunctions In a way you can’t repair it. Also a good idea could be to seek out as much knowledge and be able to make repairs to most of your firearms.

So for me if I choose the M&P line and whatever caliber(9mm,.40,.357sig,.45) I prefer , and then the 5.56 + .308 in AR formats and then learning how to make every repair on those two platforms would go a long way in just being prepared.

Beat Trash
06-30-11, 10:06
I'd consider adding .22lr. Both in pistol and rifle, it is an effective training tool. And it's fun and cheap to shoot! My kids can go through a brick in an outing. And even with today's prices, it's cheaper than many other activities.

I own some guns that I keep for sentimental reasons or because I really like the design. The 1911 is one of those.

For these guns, I will keep on hand a small amount of ammunition.

As I don't hunt (no moral objection,ect., just don't have the time or desire), so I don't have the need for a hunting round.

My needs center around LE work / personal defense. Most of my shooting is with 9mm and 5.56mm. So the bulk of my ammunition that is purchased and stored is in these two calibers.

I do not limit myself to a certain number of calibers. But I have consolidated my guns that I use and train with, both by type and caliber. This has consolidated my ammo purchases by probably 90%.

MistWolf
06-30-11, 13:59
Your choice of calibers is a handicap only if it keeps the shooter from doing what they need or want to do. The calibers listed- 9mm. 223 & 308 are all good choices and the combination covers a wide range of shooting situations.

If the shooter is willing to consider other calibers, such as a 12 gauge for scattergun work, 22 rimfire for small game or a big bore for dangerous game as needed, it's not a problem at all. If the shooter insists to stay with the three choices to the point of using one or all inappropriately, it's not only a handicap, it's could even be considered irresponsible

bornhunter04
07-01-11, 00:27
I think it's a good idea. Considering if you are on a budget it makes more sense to consolidate calibers. Yes, we all love to pull the trigger on anything that goes bang. We all like to shoot things in whatever flavor they come in. However, consider, you can get multiple platforms in calibers that serve your needs then you can buy a box of shells for that round and feed multiple guns...... I stock up on 12 ga. birdshot/slugs (i have 3 of these and one is a rifled deer gun). 5.56, 40 s&w, .22 lr and .308. These serve all my purposes, from carry - HD - Hunting everything in the midwest. Best yet they are popular rounds so they're easy to come by in a pinch. I keep a few boxes on hand of the other odd calibers i own but those guns don't get shot much mainly due to time constraints/ammo availability/cost. I think the op is on the right track. I'd love to stock up on ammo of every caliber known to man and a gun for each caliber but this isn't feasible/sustainable.

My other rule is simple too: I 'acquire' at least one gun a year since i've turned 18. So far my collection is growing very steadily :D

On a side note, consider in a SHTF scenario or dangerous game invades your domain and you had to disable a vehicle or punch through a bear, a Hornady SST deer slug should do the trick. Those damn slugs don't expand just cut a nice half inch hole and just keep going!:jester:

kerplode
07-01-11, 12:30
I love owning and shooting all kinds of guns, so I've never been all that successful at consolidation efforts. I see the upside, but I tend to like to diversify.

There are a couple calibers that I use more than others (9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39), but I stock lots of different stuff. There is some overlap, but some calibers do things other won't do as well, and it's nice to have some diversity if there are shortages or whatever.

I remember a year or so ago I couldn't find a box of 9mm anywhere, but 40S&W was readily available. Had I limited myself to just 9mm handguns it would have been harder to practice. Sure, I could reload, but these days my time is precious and I'd rather not be stuck in the basement pulling a press handle. Having several pistols chambered for 40 in the safe allowed me to still practice when I had time.

sgtjosh
07-01-11, 12:40
This valid issue seems to be the maintenance and logistics of stockpiling multiple calibers.

Fundamentals of shooting are fundamentals of shooting. I am a little confused about being "good" in a caliber. If you are proficient in a weapons system, the caliber should not be too important as long as it is adequate for the task at hand.

gundawg
07-01-11, 13:58
This valid issue seems to be the maintenance and logistics of stockpiling multiple calibers.

Fundamentals of shooting are fundamentals of shooting. I am a little confused about being "good" in a caliber. If you are proficient in a weapons system, the caliber should not be too important as long as it is adequate for the task at hand.

The "good" part for me came from having the same platform in two calibers, again this is a limited window or experiment i think you can say, and i see the point of others that if one of my chosen calibers became scarce i would be at a disadvantage. Back to the good part, I have a Sig SP2022 in both 9mm, and .357sig, for me I was able to put two well placed shots from my 9mm as opposed to one of .357sig in the same amount of time from concealment.

I could see collecting a few different caliber guns for those times when one of my chosen calibers is not available, but maybe still adhering to my idea of buying the bulk of my ammo in .22lr, 9mm, 12ga (Slug/buck/bird), 5.56/.223, and .308

davestarbuck
07-01-11, 17:20
Handicapping? Hell no.. You are better off for it. Both in terms of economy and your development as a shooter.

As for me... I keep:

.380 acp- My EDC is a Ruger LCP, works well for my concealment needs.

9mm-For the Glock 19 and my 9mm AR upper, 95% of my practice is in this caliber.

.223-For home defense and hunting of deer and hogs.

.22 lr-For the 10/22 and my MK III. Great for bringing friends (new shooters) out to the range. I also have conversions for the AR and G19.

I have other guns, in other calibers, but I'm slowly selling them off.

-dave

DemonRat
07-03-11, 04:58
I feel I am handicapped as I only own 3 calibers.
22lr - 10/22 and a Norinco/Interarms ATD (Browning copy)
40 S&W- Springfield Armory XD 5" tactical
30-06- Remington 7400

I would like to get another rifle but funds are limited. I have been looking into several calibers but not set on any particular one yet. I have been looking into a shotgun the Saiga 410 has been one I have been thinking of getting as it would be good for home defense and hunting.

rjacobs
07-03-11, 10:00
I own at least one gun in each of what I consider a very common ammo type:
9mm
.45acp
.223/5.56
7.62x39
12g
20g

I want to get a .308, just havent yet.

While I dont shoot the 7.62x39 SKS very often, I have it and a couple thousand rounds of surplus ammo I bought years ago(I think I paid $50/thousand), just in case. I am familiar enough with it that I could pick it up and use it at any time and get adequate results if the situation demanded it. However it runs stripper clips so its not very fast(correction, I am not very fast with stripper clips) which is why, for me, it is not a first line gun.

I mostly shoot 9mm, .45 and .223 and own several guns in each caliber. I also load for those and keep an adequate supply of components on hand for each and an adequate supply of loaded ammo for. These are my go to first line guns.

I shoot 12g mostly now, but I have an older 20g 870 that could be dusted off if need be and I think I have 1000 rounds of bird shot for it. I have a couple thousand rounds of 12g 7.5 shot range ammo and about 1000 rounds of 00 buck. Need to find some slugs and ill be set.

I think those are the most common rounds that would be found, in the US, in a SHTF scenario that you could find ammo for, trade your ammo for other goods, etc... which is the main reason I haven't branched out into some more non-main stream rounds.