PDA

View Full Version : Serious issue with bent M&P 45 mag SPRINGS

MSteele
06-29-11, 22:26
I have purchased 8 mags for this M&P from 3 different places. The top 3 coils of the springs bend at were the wider spring section tapers off to the narrower coils. This ends up causing the slide to not lock when the last round is ejected. I have 3 14rd mags and 5 10rd mags so far this has happened to 2 of the 14rd and 3 of the 10rd mags. All 5 mags failed at today's range visit.
Is this a common issue with M&P mags?
Do they outsource the springs for their mags or are they made in house?
S&W customer service is great and they are sending me new springs for the 10rd mags, no 14rd springs in stock, but still concerned this will keep on happening.
I keep 3 mags loaded at home at all times and rotate them once a month after each range visit, is it not good to keep the mags loaded for that long?
Thanks for any advise!!!

cathellsk
06-29-11, 23:26
I'm currently experiencing the same issue with mine, although its only 1 mag out of 5 (10rd) and I only have one 14rd mag. It bent backwards in the same spot you mentioned. If you bend it back to where its supposed to be it pops back again after you load it. Makes it damn near impossible to load the 10th round and causes the follower to get stuck in the tube like the older crap CheckMate mags for Berettas.

I called S&W and they sent me new springs, only 3 though. The original springs were purple at the top, the new ones are green. Obviously they know there is a problem if they have a new color to tell them apart.

devilsdeeds
06-30-11, 07:24
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76665

cgcorrea
06-30-11, 07:43
I experienced a similar issue, in which the bend developed in that same spot in one of my 10 round mags and one 14 rounder, which in my case caused the follower to stop rising, leaving the remaining 3 or 4 rounds in the mag to just sit loosely inside. I called S&W about it and they sent me 2 new 10 round mag springs. I switched out the spring and then experienced the same thing about a week later. I then switched that spring out with the other new spring. I have not had any issues whatsoever since. I was not able to get a 14 round mag replacement spring either, as they were out of stock at that time as well.

DJK
07-01-11, 09:00
I experienced a similar issue, in which the bend developed in that same spot in one of my 10 round mags and one 14 rounder, which in my case caused the follower to stop rising, leaving the remaining 3 or 4 rounds in the mag to just sit loosely inside.

+1 :( July 1st and rotating magazines. Pulled the 10 rounder that was in my .45 and had the same problem. Purple on top. Didn't have the problem two weeks ago at a training session. Very scary. All the rest looked ok. Time to call S&W.

cgcorrea
07-01-11, 09:36
+1 :( July 1st and rotating magazines. Pulled the 10 rounder that was in my .45 and had the same problem. Purple on top. Didn't have the problem two weeks ago at a training session. Very scary. All the rest looked ok. Time to call S&W.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I found out. Definately a WTF moment. I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm guessing it might just be a bad batch of springs that was put out or something. Hopefully it won't happen again. But like I said, I haven't had any problems since.

MSteele
07-02-11, 00:08
The worst part of the hole thing is that out of all my mags I can only rely on 2 of them. Went to the range today and more failed, have to use a UpLuLu mag loader to load the mags not even all the way. I hope the new springs fix this problem, honestly concerned as this is pretty much my primary. Ordered a few more since they are only $25 each for 10rd and 14rd mags.
Thanks for all the input!!!

MSteele
07-02-11, 12:28
Just received the new springs from S&W, they shipped them fast. These have the green tips, lets hope these get the job done. Will report back once I run them at the range.

MSteele
07-06-11, 18:00
Ran 250 rounds through the mags with the new springs (green top) and all is good. Still waiting for the 14rd mag springs those bend every time I load them. Just purchased a new 14rd and it's still holding up.

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 19:57
Ran 250 rounds through the mags with the new springs (green top) and all is good. Still waiting for the 14rd mag springs those bend every time I load them. Just purchased a new 14rd and it's still holding up.

How are those green tops working? I had the same issues I posted today I also noticed I only had one green top spring

backfist
12-04-11, 19:07
I also had some bent springs; two of the three were from my duty rig. I emailed S&W, no response back. I finally got through to CS and their LE rep.

Springs were sent and installed. Ironically, one of the bent springs was green tipped like the sent replacements.

We'll see how these work...