PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: holster choice for RDS-equipped pistol

Ketsugo314
06-30-11, 11:28
Hello,

To those of you who have had this modification done, what are you using for a holster? Are there any RDS-specific IWB holsters available aside from the OST/Fricke model.

Is it even necessary to have a holster that covers the RDS unit, or is this really a non-issue? I'd like some feedback from people actually running a RDS pistol EDC.
Thanks ahead of time.

- Ketsugo314

C4IGrant
06-30-11, 11:33
Hello,

To those of you who have had this modification done, what are you using for a holster? Are there any RDS-specific IWB holsters available aside from the OST/Fricke model.

Is it even necessary to have a holster that covers the RDS unit, or is this really a non-issue? I'd like some feedback from people actually running a RDS pistol EDC.
Thanks ahead of time.

- Ketsugo314

RCS (MD CUT). Works well.

C4

Ketsugo314
06-30-11, 12:14
Thank you for the reply C4IGrant; pardon my ignorance, but what is the "MD Cut"?

BR,
Ketsugo314

Timbonez
06-30-11, 12:24
Verbatim from Raven Concealment's FAQ: "MD Cut (pistol holster)- The MD Cut holster is designed to be carried OWB and forward of the hip (“two oclock“ for right handed shooters, “10 oclock“ for left handed shooters). The MD cut is a straight drop holster (no forward cant) with a reduced body shield."

FAQ (http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/faq.php)

MrMiller
06-30-11, 14:08
Hello,

Thanks ahead of time.

- Ketsugo314

The unit doesn't need protecting in terms of being damaged so much.

For the most part, unless you are running the new adjustable unit there is probably no issues with having the RMR unprotected.

It might get more belly button lint on the lens though? :p

Doc Roberts has reported problems with the adjustable models in unprotected duty holsters. The units hit on seat belts, etc. and turn the dot down often.

willowofwisp
06-30-11, 17:38
I run a standard raven concealment holster and just trim the bodyshield a bit.

here is a pic

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/5801607873_60c50c7163_z.jpg

DocGKR
06-30-11, 21:45
Holsters for pistols with a slide mounted RDS require a bit of thought; the best I have used so far for off-duty/CCW use are the Fricke Seraphim for AIWB & IWB, along with the Fricke Gideon Elite for OWB (http://dalefrickeholsters.com). Another good OWB holster is the Alessi DOJ-open port. A relatively cheap and easy to acquire holster that works with RDS equipped pistols is the Comp Tac Belt Holster. The Raven RCS and CCC Looper work very well after minor modification to the front edges of the shirt guard and area over the ejection port. For overt tactical/duty carry of RDS equipped pistols, the Safariland 6004 and other SLS variants work well, but require more substantial holster modifications. Unfortunately, the typical Safariland ALS holsters do not work with RDS sights at this time, although there are some new ALS holsters that recently were produced for some SOF guys with G22’s using RDS—hopefully these will be hitting the streets for normal sales in the near future. The Holsters Plus Sure-Lock OWB retention holster does work with RDS sights.

Ketsugo314
07-03-11, 11:51
Thank you to all who took the time to reply, it is appreciated.

DocGKR: I'm interested in the mods for the 6004 rig, likewise, I'm interested in this new ALS holster. My main thought as far as a holster that covers the RDS is to keep any debris off the window, so that if I have to draw the pistol, I don't do so and find something fouling the window. Maybe I'm just over-thinking the issue. I imagine this would be more likely with an exposed holster than a concealed one, as the cover garment would be protecting it....just thinking out loud; I dong have the mod done, so this is all based on speculation.

The Fricke "Seraphim" holster covers it well, the issues I have with this holster (and his others) is that a) the specs say this is an "AIWB" holster, and I don't carry in that manner and more importantly b) I find his holsters to be extremely expensive for what they are, considering you can find comparable holsters from other manufacturers for most of his products for about half the cost. I just have a problem with spending as much for a pretty basic, thick kydex holster that I have for custom leather rigs.

Thanks again to all who replied.

DWood
07-05-11, 14:24
I hit my Raven Concealment Phantom with the heat gun and just inserted my Glock 23. It did not need much shaping. I don't care for apendix carry so I modified what I had.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/DSC_0195.jpg

DocGKR
07-05-11, 21:24
While the Fricke Seraphim holster works well for AIWB, it also makes a fine IWB holster--I typically run mine IWB at 3 o'clock. Maybe I am just a foolish old man, but I find the Fricke holsters to be an absolute bargain, nor have I found many comparable holsters at the same or higher price, let alone for half the cost. Of course, what do I know...

swinkster
07-05-11, 22:29
Reshaping the sweatguard to accommodate a MRDS is an option. This is one of my personally made holsters I remolded for my RMR equipped G19.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_5932.JPG

DWood
07-06-11, 17:49
Reshaping the sweatguard to accommodate a MRDS is an option. This is one of my personally made holsters I remolded for my RMR equipped G19.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_5932.JPG

Nice work swinkster. Have you considering making a pouch for that Nova Tac light? I am looking for something to carry it on the belt rather than in the pocket.

Spiffums
07-07-11, 18:26
While the Fricke Seraphim holster works well for AIWB, it also makes a fine IWB holster--I typically run mine IWB at 3 o'clock. Maybe I am just a foolish old man, but I find the Fricke holsters to be an absolute bargain, nor have I found many comparable holsters at the same or higher price, let alone for half the cost. Of course, what do I know...

And Dale is a great guy to work with.

Don Robison
07-07-11, 18:34
And Dale is a great guy to work with.

I'm probably biased, but I agree. Dale has always gone out of his way to make good gear and happy customers.

STS
07-07-11, 21:16

Again, Doc is full of wisdom and excellent advice. I too have been using a Fricke IWB holster for my RDS Glock 17 and see no reason to look elsewhere. Both times I put a order in, I had it in under one week. The holster is well made and conceals great. I too carry it at 3 o'clock.

dookie1481
07-08-11, 16:49
Nice work swinkster. Have you considering making a pouch for that Nova Tac light? I am looking for something to carry it on the belt rather than in the pocket.

Same here, i can't find a pouch for one anywhere.