PDA

View Full Version : Your Rights...A Lesson From History...

SteyrAUG
06-30-11, 14:20
Most people with a basic knowledge of history know about the Magna Carta. It is a famous document where the first rights of "free men" were established under a ruler and they became subject to "the law" rather than the "ruler."

The 1215 Charter required King John of England to proclaim certain liberties, and accept that his will was not arbitrary, for example by explicitly accepting that no "freeman" (in the sense of non-serf) could be punished except through the law of the land, a right which is still in existence today.

But what most people don't know was that these "liberties" were later stripped away one by one with various repeals until only 3 of the original 37 clauses remained by the late 19th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta#Repeal_of_articles_of_the_Charter

The repeal of clause 26 in 1829, by the Offences against the Person Act 1828 (9 Geo. 4 c. 31 s. 1),[42] was the first time a clause of Magna Carta was repealed. With the document's perceived inviolability broken, in the next 140 years nearly the whole charter was repealed, leaving just Clauses 1, 9, and 29 still in force after 1969.

Most of it was repealed in England and Wales by the Statute Law Revision Act 1863, and in Ireland by the Statute Law (Ireland) Revision Act 1872.[42]

And that is how a citizen can become a subject.

Irish
06-30-11, 14:37
And that is how a citizen can become a subject.

It's funny how history repeats itself.

Moose-Knuckle
07-01-11, 00:55
There is a reason why our public schools and universities no longer teach on such subject matters.

The masses have been conditioned to be obedient sheep.

GermanSynergy
07-01-11, 10:56
There is a reason why our public schools and universities no longer teach on such subject matters.

The masses have been conditioned to be obedient sheep.

Yup- sheeple and being the "good Germans" of the future.

Abraxas
07-01-11, 12:22
It's funny how history repeats itself.

Funny is not the word I would use.

Irish
07-01-11, 13:48
Funny is not the word I would use.

I'm in total agreement but I couldn't find the "dripping in sarcasm" smiley icon.

wes007
07-04-11, 14:03
we are a dumbass malnourished nation and its going to take more than a few government spending cuts to fix this absolute f*ckin mess were in. The problem is that no one can mention it because it quickly gets labeled a "conspiracy". Well guess what, its not a conspiracy anymore and its a sad truth that people are finally starting to wake up and realize.