PDA

View Full Version : Front sling mount point?

m4brian
06-30-11, 19:28
Currently I have a DD M4 with the sling QD attachment point on the rear. In dry firing the weapon, this position is fine for shooting and dropping the weapon to the side to engage with a backup, but not for then throwing the weapon back over the shoulder to carry on the back. A mount point forward on the rail - in a similar position to an AK allows you to do just that. Any drawbacks to mounting forward on the rail behind where my support hand grabs, or on the FSP? (I guess DD put the hole in the rear for a reason).

kartoffel
06-30-11, 19:33
You could always put a 2nd QD socket on the front of the handguard somewhere and switch around to suit your needs.

nimdabew
06-30-11, 22:21
I personally like the magpur RSA and an HK hook for the front point. It is still technically QD, rattles a little more, but gives more tactile feel that it is locked in than a QD socket. I still use a QD on the rear though.

13MPG
06-30-11, 23:08
You could always put a 2nd QD socket on the front of the handguard somewhere and switch around to suit your needs.

This is what I have done on my two DD uppers with Omega X rails. I placed Gear Sector sling mounts about 3” forward of the factory QD socket.

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-01-11, 09:17
I've been running a Midwest Industries Quick Detach mount for over a year now. My family own a cattle ranch so I try to get out walk in the evenings, I sling my rifle and go. So it gets used daily. No problems.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=80