PDA

View Full Version : Helping a friend

GIJew766
06-30-11, 21:47
Ok folks. I'm no rookie when it comes to the AR or firearms in general, but I value y'all's opinions.

I have a buddy of mine who works in the local political game as an advisor and whatnot. He's a Marine vet and a generally good guy. He's been out of the Corps for about 7 years and he approached me today saying he wanted to get back into shooting. Hasn't touched a gun since leaving the Corps and asked for my recommendations for a rifle that he can get back into the swing of things with. He's looking to start off just getting the fundamentals back at first, then move to longer range and precision work as he gets back into it. Here's what I told him to start off:

Colt 6920 (that happens to be sitting in a local shop for about $980) with either the carry handle on, or if he feels like it, a KAC BUIS that is sitting in my box of parts. I have some GI mags and PMags I can part with for a friend until he gets his hands on enough. Buy plenty of ammo and maybe, if he intends to use the rifle as a HD gun in the near future, swap out the handguard for an MOE one with a piece of rail for a light. Told him to keep it simple until he has his skills back, then figure out what he needs as he goes. Told him to hold off on an optic until he's good on his irons again, then nab a red-dot or an ACOG if that's what he chooses.

When he asked about eventually going to longer, precision shots, I told him to save his pennies and pick up a Mk12 upper from Monte.

Anything else y'all think I should tell him before I take him over to the store tomorrow?

H

TOrrock
06-30-11, 21:49
I think you pretty much nailed it.

Well done.

GIJew766
06-30-11, 22:24
Awesome.

PS: Thanks for the Galil dreams I'll be having tonight. Might have to pull out the mattress cover just in case the G3K shows up in the dream too...:jester: