PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster ACR Review

topgunpilot20
07-01-11, 06:32
Background

I was one of those guys that started saving money once the Magpul Masada was first announced at SHOT 2007. I read every magazine article, found every picture, and scoured every SHOT video and interview on the new rifle since it was the first rifle in a string of releases of non-AR15 semi automatic rifles that actually impressed me. The Masada was the first rifle to incorporate enough extra features to successfully draw my attention away from the AR15.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_01_web.jpg
Bushmaster ACR Basic comes standard with polymer handguard, fixed stock, and Magpul Backup Iron Sights. ACOG TA33 is attached using a Larue Tactical Mini-ACOG mount.

I started saving up my pennies and waited for the Masada's release. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. I became extremely nervous when the Masada design was licensed to Bushmaster. I've owned Bushmaster rifles, have a lot of experience trying to diagnose coworker's problems with theirs, and know Bushmaster's sketchy reputation with their AR15 platform—specifically the lack of QC conducted during production. I also recognized Bushmaster's lack of ingenuity when it came designing their own rifles and AR15 variants that were not a direct copy of production Colts. However, I did trust Magpul and hoped that they retained enough oversight to keep Bushmaster from screwing up the Masada.

I was eagerly awaiting the January 2010 ACR release with cash in hand. However, the initial price was so outrageous that it only took about 10 seconds to become completely disillusioned with a rifle that I had been waiting 3 years for. I cursed Bushmaster for destroying the only non-AR15 rifle that had caught my interested, washed my hands of the rifle (and company), and secret hoped the ACR would be a spectacular failure just to spite the company that destroyed the Masada.

Once my anger finally subsided a bit, I kept tabs on the ACR's development out of curiosity. I observed Bushmaster's reaction and kept track of the user AARs. I discovered that, despite the botched release and questionable Bushmaster decision making, I still really liked the concept and features of the production ACR. Finally, a year and half after its release when Jetguns offered the ACR Basic for $1600, I decided to acquire the rifle I had waited four and half years for.

First Impressions

I went with the Basic model because I prefer the plastic fore end to the rails. The plastic fore end is longer, more comfortable, still free floats, and felt lighter side by side with the Enhanced. I also really liked the fixed ACR stock—it's the exact same length that I normally adjust all of my AR stocks. When comparing the Basic and Enhanced side by side in a local gun store, the Enhanced indeed felt a bit front heavy like the online reviews suggest, but the Basic balances much better near the front of the mag well. In the store, the Basic did not feel heavy at all. As nice as the 6lbs ARs are to carry around, I actually prefer the shooting characteristics of rifles in the 7 to 8lbs range. The ACR Basic felt good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_05_web.jpg
The plastic handguard provides an extra couple inches of grip toward the muzzle end over the shorter railed handguard. Those few inches can make a drastic difference in recoil control using a far forward support hand grip.

The closest AR configuration to the ACR Basic that I own is a Daniel Defense with 16” M4 profile barrel, 12” rails, CTR stock, and iron sights only. The rifle has perfect weight and balance for me. I discovered that both the DD and ACR had the exact same balance point just in front of the mag well. However, the ACR was indeed a tad on the heavy side at 8lbs 5oz compared to the DD's 7lbs 4oz on my digital fish scale.

All that said, I'm not sure how people expected any piston rifle to be lighter than an AR. The whole point of the AR's direct impingement system was to save weight, so I don't know why anyone expected to save more weight by going back to a piston. The SCAR cut weight by using a lightweight barrel, but the same could easily by done to the ACR or for that matter to the AR to make it even lighter.

That brings me to the barrel profile: it's retarded. There is absolutely no reason to use an M4 profile barrel on the ACR. The fact that Bushmaster engineers sat around shooting all sorts of barrel profiles and decided that the M4 was best proves they they don't know what they are talking about. Not only is the useless M203 cutout an eye sore, but shifting the barrel mass away from under the handguards toward the muzzle puts that mass where it is most useless and single-handedly causes the front heavy feeling that users complain about. There's just no reason for it, and it reeks of ignorance.

The 1/9 barrel twist is another puzzling feature. The 1/7 twist has become the industry standard for serious rifles due the guaranteed stabilization of heavier OTM bullets that offer increased accuracy and wound potential. Also, for a rifle with ambitions of military service, the inability to stabilized the issued tracer bullet is a deal breaker. While the 1/9 twist will probably work fine for most civilian users, there's absolutely no reason to not go with the 1/7 that will definitely work for all users. The fact that Bushmaster designers by their own admission do not believe that anyone wants a 1/7 barrel further illuminates their ignorance.

Bushmaster forwent chrome lining the barrel and chamber in favor of Meloniting the inside and outside of the barrel as well as the action components. This should allow a more accurate barrel since it offers the corrosion resistance of chrome lining with the uniformity of unlined barrels. If the Melonite proves to be as corrosion and wear resistant as Glock's similar Tennifer treatment, then I look forward to taking advantage of it, especially with the self lubricity that Bushmaster claims. If the Melonite lives up to its promises, then it definitely looks like a step in the right direction.

As a left handed rifle shooter, the ACR's ambidexterity was a huge selling point. I love the ambidextrous safety, magazine release, and bold release, but I am unsure why they stopped there. The front QD sling attachment point is ambi, but the rear is not. While swappable, it seems like a no-brainer to go fully ambi from the get go. Also, the same can be said about the single point sling attachment—while it's also swappable, the design easily lends itself to a simple fully ambi conversion. Seems one could take a second single point sling attachment, bore out the threads, use two screws that are just a bit longer, and voila: fully ambi single point sling attachments. I went ahead and swapped the single point sling attachment to the right side of the rifle. I left the rear QD cup in place since I prefer attaching the rear end of two point slings to the outer side of the rifle.

Similarly, the charging handle is also swappable instead of ambi. While swapping the charging handle to the right side works well for me, it will not work well for everyone else that I hand my rifle to. While configurable for left handed shooters, it is at the expense of right handed shooters that may use the same rifle. I use zero left handed/ambidextrous controls on my AR15s because I want to be able to successfully operate any AR I pick up. I wish that I did not have to worry about the same thing on a rifle that claims to be ambidextrous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_top_01_web.jpg
The ACR's controls are mostly ambidextrous. However, the charging handle and single point sling loop were swapped to the right side of the rifle for left handed compatibility.

However, I do like the charging hand location. It does not reciprocate and the location makes it quick to operate. On the right side of the rifle, it does not obscure the visibility of the ejection port for left handed shooters like it would if it were directly above it. The forward location is also out of the way of optics. Some have criticized this location due to forward mounted IR lasers obscuring the charging handle, but if my choices are being obscured by optics versus being obscured by an IR laser, then I believe Bushmaster made the right decision due to the number of rifles equipped with optics versus the number equipped with IR lasers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_03_web.jpg
The forward charging handle position was completely out of the way of mounted optics. However, optics compatibility may be at the expense of IR laser compatibility for some users.

The ACR attributes its modularity to the quick change stock, fore end, and barrel. The stock and fore end are absolutely ingenious; while both are rock solid, they can each be swapped simply by pushing a single pin. As someone who has changed a lot of AR stocks and fore ends of the years, the ACR was gleefully beautiful in this regard. As I mentioned earlier, the stock was the perfect length and had a nice thick rubber contact pad. The adjustable cheek comb worked well with the included Magpul iron sights in the low position, and I could see the high position being more comfortable with higher mounted optics. I really liked the feel of the Basic fore end—especially the length since I prefer a far forward hold with my support hand. The longer Basic fore end was much more comfortable than the shorter railed fore end of the Enhanced. I am not sure why Bushmaster went with a shorter rail on the Enhanced instead of sticking with the original Basic fore end length.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_04_web.jpg
The fixed stock length felt perfect. Only the bottom pin in front of the single point sling loop needs to be popped out to replace with the folding stock.

The quick change barrel was neat. However, I believe that tool less quick change barrels are highly overrated on semi automatic rifles. 30 second barrel swaps to different barrel lengths or even different calibers are meaningless when it still takes a a 30 minute range trip to rezero the sights. The ACR's wire ratchet doesn't appear to weigh much, so I don't really see any downside unless it affects accuracy.

I have heard complaints about the integral polymer pistol grip. However, I like the grip, and it offers superior strength to a removable one. The standard Magpul texture works well, and the included CR123 battery core is a nice touch. Speaking of polymer, the selector, magazine release, and bolt release are all polymer. Since they wear against metal surfaces, I would prefer to see a metal selector and magazine release. The bolt release has a polymer grip surface attached to an actual metal bolt release, so I do not see any problems there. The bolt release was easily manipulated on an empty magazine and with no magazine. The bolt hold open manipulation offered by the ACR's bolt release solves a huge AR weapon manipulation for right handed shooters. I also noticed that both sides of the mag well interior have cutouts that allow any debris caught around the action to fall around the outside of the magazine and out of the rifle.

First Range Trip

The first outing with the ACR was brief. I did not have much time and only had access to a 25 yard range. Mostly, I just wanted to make sure I did not got a factory lemon that would give me problems from the get go. In an effort to test the Melonite's self lubricity, I did not clean, oil, or perform any other preventive maintenance on the ACR before shooting, and I plan on leaving it dry and dirty until failure. I zeroed the small aperture on the MBUS at 25 yards then switched to the large aperture for some familiarization fire and ammunition function testing at 10 yards. I only had time to shoot 100 rounds consisting of 20 rounds of lacquer coated Hornady Training .223, 40 rounds of polymer coated Wolf, 20 rounds of brass Winchester Q3131A 5.56mm, and 20 rounds of brass Speer .223. I did not have any malfunctions with any ammunition.

I quickly noticed the mechanical sight off set at 10 yards. Rounds were impacting over 3” low compared to the 2.5” off set of the AR. They were so low that I shot an additional group at 25 yards to confirm that the sights were not loose (they weren't). I later measured the height over bore of the irons with a dial caliper at 3.15” which is a half inch higher than irons on an AR. I adjusted my POI and continued. A trick I use with iron sights on the AR at close range is to look over the rear sight and line the tip of the front sight with the top of the rear aperture. This carried over successfully to the ACR despite the height over bore difference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_02_web.jpg
The ACR's height of over is .5" taller than the AR. However, the ACOG TA33 bullet drop compensator was dead on at 250 and 500 yards using 75gr ammunition.

The recoil on the ACR was different. Some have characterized it as more than the AR, but I'm not prepared to make any conclusion yet. It does it indeed feel different though—no doubt due to the piston system's heavier reciprocating mass and heavier recoil springs. Muzzle rise did not seems excessive, but it seemed a bit more erratic than the AR—the muzzle seemed to jump side to side more during recoil. That said, controlled pairs and triplets were effortlessly kept inside the 6” circle at 10 yards. I plan on breaking out the shot timer doing a much more exhaustive comparison on my next range trip before making any conclusions.

My only complaint during this range trip is the heat buildup at the front of the handguard. Since I prefer a far forward support hand grip for maximum muzzle control, my support hand grips the fore end in front of the front sight with my thumb over the top and my index finger actually on the front side of the fore end. Unfortunately, the places my hand directly around the piston where all of the heat collects. A couple magazines of ammunition at a fairly quick rate of fire conducting one up drills, controlled pairs and triplets, and multiple target engagements left the front of the handguard quite uncomfortable to grip. Not impossible, just not comfortable—my hand did not actually burn. Moving my hand midway back on the fore end completely alleviated the issue, so shooters who do not shoot with their support arm fully extended should not have any problem.

I also found that the bolt release was much more difficult to manipulate when closing the bolt on a full magazine. Several times I resorted to hitting it with my support hand thumb which was easy every time. I've heard that the bolt release gets easier with use. We'll see. The magazine had a bit more play inside the mag well than I'm used to with AR15s. I tried firing a few rounds will pressing down, down and forward, and down and rearward on the magazine and did not have any problems. More testing on that is planned.

Second Range Trip – Close range comparison of AR15 vs ACR

I had a rifle bay all to myself for my second range trip, so I had much more freedom to evaluate the ACR during some close range drills. The close range evaluation comprised of three Viking Tactics drills plus a Bill Drill and a par time drill, and I performed each drill three to five times with each rifle recording each drills' total time, average split time, average target transition time, and reload time when applicable. I video recorded the last relay of each drill—sometimes the relay videoed was the fastest, and sometimes it wasn't. Unless otherwise noted, all hits were center A zone on a standard IPSC target.

Again, the comparison AR15 was a Daniel Defense M4 which is the AR15 most similar to the ACR that I own. It has iron sights, 16” M4 profile barrel, 12” free floating rails, Magpul CTR stock, and A2 flash hider.

2x2x2 Drill – Two rounds each at three targets at 5 yards.
DDM4 – Average total time: 2.38 sec; Average split time: .18 sec; Average target transition: .62 sec
ACR – Average total time: 2.54 sec; Average split time: .20 sec; Average target transition: .62 sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODrKL8o92Z8

El Prez Drill – Two rounds each at three targets, emergency reload, two rounds each at three targets at 10 yards.
DDM4 – Average total time: 10.26 sec; Average split time: .26 sec; Average target transition: .74 sec; reload: 4.78 sec
ACR – Average total time: 9.33 sec; Average split time: .22 sec; Average target transition: .75 sec; reload: 4.12 sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wduBTBCPxdk

Triple Threat Drill – Three rounds chest, one round pelvis, one round head each on three targets at 5 yards.
DDM4 – Average total time: 7.21 sec
ACR – Average total time: 6.85 sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYmtUWBMO4

Bill Drill – Six rounds on one target at 10 yards.
DDM4 – Average total time: 2.13 sec; Average split time: .29 sec
ACR – Average total time: 1.86 sec; Average split time: .22 sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZyUVertPU

Par Time Drill – Maximum number of A zone hits in 2 seconds from 7 yards.
DDM4 – 8 rounds (1.75 seconds used)
ACR – 10 rounds (1.95 seconds used)
Note: The split times during the DDM4 run would have allowed one additional shot before the par time expired, but my sights had drifted out of the A zone so I did not break the shot. However, 8 A zone hits is about my average with this rifle. The Par Time Drill was the only test performed with only one relay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iKKX_Fc-QE

Compilation video of all drills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TqSEoVne1E

I noted after my first range trip how different the ACR's recoil felt compared to the AR, and the above drills allowed my to evaluate it much further. First, the ACR unequivocally does NOT have more recoil than the AR in my opinion. However, probably due to the larger interior reciprocating mass, the shooter does feel more going on during the ACR's recoil impulse. The ACR actually had a much less mild rearward impulse, or kick, against my shoulder compared to the AR, and it also has considerably less muzzle rise. The tradeoff, however, was that instead of a muzzle rise, the ACR exhibited more of a side to side muzzle shake. My guess is that the shake is induced first by the bolt carrier bouncing off the buffer at the front of the stock after extraction then slamming back forward after chambering the next round.

The effect of the AR's muzzle rise versus the ACR's muzzle shake is apparent in the average split times of the above drills. Firing only two rounds at closer ranges (2x2x2 drill) was quicker with the AR due to the relatively tall A zone on the standard IPSC target since I do not have to wait for the muzzle to recover during muzzle rise before breaking my second shot and still attain an A zone hit. However, as the distance or number of rounds in succession grew larger, the AR's muzzle rise had more of an effect since I had to wait a bit longer for the muzzle to recover—firing before complete recovery would throw shots higher above the A zone. While that second shot may have still been an A zone hit at close range, the 3rd, 4th, etc may not have been without allowing the muzzle to recover.

Conversely, the ACR's side to side muzzle shake kept moving steadily back and forth with additional rounds and did not continuously jump one direction or another. This meant that additional shots did not result in addition muzzle drift due to recoil. Throughout today's range trip, I was becoming more accustomed to the ACR's recoil and became better as controlling the muzzle shake. I believe that with more practice, it can be greatly minimized resulting an overall better muzzle control compared to a non-braked AR.

This muzzle control manifests itself during the Par Time Drill which is a drill I use to evaluate my grip and stance as well as measure the effectiveness of recoil reduction devices like muzzle brakes. The drill is simply testing how many rounds I can put into the A zone from 7 yards in 2 seconds. As shown during today's test, 8 rounds is about average using a good stance and no muzzle brake. My personal best is 10 rounds using a 16” midlength AR with PWS FSC556 muzzle brake. However, my first attempt with the ACR equipped with A2 flash hider was 10 rounds in the A zone in 1.95 seconds. Since I have never gotten that many with any un-braked rifle, I find this promising.

The transition between targets felt slower with the ACR, but the shot timer proved that the differences were negligible. I had first thought the extra forward weight of the ACR's piston system was slowing the transition times, but after seeing the shot timer results, the difference I was feeling may have simply been do to my support hand being closer in on the ACR's 10.5” rail as opposed to the DDM4's 12” rail. I prefer a far forward grip and have long arms, so I find a 12” handguard optimal.

The reload times demonstrated during the El Prez (short for El Presidente) was very telling. Being a left handed rifle shooter, I found the ACR's bolt release very convenient. Due to the occasional difficulty of releasing the bolt with the trigger finger after inserting a full magazine that was exhibited during my first range trip, I released the bolt using my support hand (right) thumb after inserting the new magazine instead. Nevertheless, emergency reloads were still much faster (.66 seconds on average) than an AR even with the relative unfamiliarity with the ACR platform.

To keep cross compatibility with the AR platform, I continue to release the magazine using my support hand (right) thumb to operate the magazine release on the right side of the rifle instead of the ambi control on the opposite side. Similarly, I also operate the left side of the selector and keep my strong hand (left) thumb on the left side of the receiver during firing just like I do with an AR.

I wish I could report about the excessive heat build up at the front of the handguard during sustained firing that concerned me during my first range trip. However, the Texas summer heat was so relenting that I had to don a shooting glove on my support hand to hold either rifle after only a few minutes of laying in the sun.

Once I had completed all of the close range testing, I mounted a Trijicon TA33 ACOG in Larue Tactical mount and zeroed at 100 yards. I only had 25 rounds remaining to zero the optic, so I was not able to perform any further testing today. I can note, however, that the 5 shot groups were averaging 2 to 2.5 inches during zeroing using steel cased Hornady 55 grain Training ammo. Please remember that this is not match ammo and does not qualify as a rifle accuracy evaluation.

Again, no lubrication or maintenance was completed with the ACR before, during, or after this range trip, and no malfunctions were experienced. The rifle's round count is currently 285 rounds. Much too soon to draw any conclusions about reliability.

Conclusions from second range trip: The ACR is certainly a capable close range rifle, and any claim about excessive recoil can be put to rest; the ACR is at least a 2.5 MOA rifle.

Further range testing planned: accuracy evaluation using match ammo, silhouette engagement out to 500 yards.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

**UPDATE** 7-13-11

Third Range Trip – 500 yards

I am one of the lucky few to live less than 30 minutes from a 1000 yard range, and I finally got to take advantage of it with the ACR today. I fired 175 rounds of 55gr and 75gr Hornady steel case training ammo mostly from the bench. Using my new TA33 ACOG in Larue mount, I first confirmed my zero with the 55gr ammo at 100 yards. Using 10 shot groups today, I discovered that my zero was actually almost an inch off to the left. I corrected the zero for a centered group, but I was a bit alarmed at the size—most of hits were in about a 1.5” clump in the center, but there were several hits a bit more sporadic around the edges that extended the extreme spread of the groups to almost 4 inches.

Now to be clear, the TA33 is not really a precision optic—it has only 3x magnification and I have trouble being very precise with the chevron reticle. However, 4 inches at 100 yards still seemed a bit large from the bench. Since the 55gr is not precision ammo, I switched to the 75gr hoping to see a drastic reduction in group sizes.

I was disappointed. While there was a 1” cluster of 5 or so hits in the center, outliers on each side gave the 10 shot groups an extreme spread of 3 to 4 inches. Remembering accuracy problems noted by previous ACR users due to under-torqued barrel nuts, I slipped off the handguard and tightened the barrel nut as hard as I could with hand pressure. The barrel nut ratchet had been directly at 6 o'clock, and I was able to tighten it three clicks to about 6:30. I reinstalled the handguard and resumed shooting.

Thankfully, I noticed a drastic difference—the 75gr 10 shot groups were just under 2 inches. While that may not seem like any great feat, 10 shot groups are much more telling of a rifle's inherit accuracy than 3 or 5 shot groups, and their consistency does not allow the shooter to cherry pick groups to post on the internet. I could have easily picked several combinations of 5 hits from each group and proclaimed the rifle sub-MOA “all day long.”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_barrel_01_web.jpg
The barrel nut ratchet needed to be tightened a few clicks to the 6:30 position. The factory 6 o'clock position was not tight enough and resulted in poor accuracy.

Due to the better long range performance, I re-zeroed with the 75gr then made another 10 shot group with the 55gr to check the point of impact difference. The 55gr impacted 2 MOA right of the 75gr, and the elevation was dead on. Also, the 10 shot groups of the 55gr shrunk to just over 2”.

Now I moved on to the Larue targets at longer range. Remember, Larue targets are only 11” wide, so they present a much smaller target than full size 19” wide silhouettes (that are also proportionally taller). The 250 yard Larue targets were cake along with the 12” and 8” plates next to it. I moved on out to 500 yards and had my wife spot any misses for me. Surprisingly, I made a first round hit on the 500 yard Larue target. The ballistic calculations I had made beforehand indicated that the TA33's stadia lines after 200 yards would be about 25 yards short at each distance factoring in the 75gr bullets and the ACR's extra height over bore, so the hits I was making with a dead on 500 yard hold confused me at first. Finally, I remembered that the ACOG's stadia tree is calibrated for meters, so using it in yards instead just about canceled out the difference.

After the first few hits, the wind picked up and fluctuated between calm and 5 mph full crosswind which can push a bullet laterally a foot at 500 yards. I chased the wind a bit and still kept up a good hit ratio on the Larue target with misses only left or right by mere inches according to my spotter. A full size silhouette would have given me nearly 100% hits. I loaded up some 55gr, and, correcting for the 2 MOA horizontal point of impact shift, was able to make hits on the 500 yard Larue target as well using the 500 meter stadia line (albeit not quite as often as the 75gr).

For giggles I tried for the 750 yard Larue target, but since the TA33 stadia tree only goes 600 meters, I was holding well off into open space. After expending half a magazine to get 2 hits, I decided to stop wasting ammo and move on.

Having done all of today's shooting from a fairly stable position using a front rest on the bench, I tried some 500 yard shots from prone unsupported resting off the magazine. While I did not experience any failures using the magazine as a monopod, the magazine did exhibit a lot of front to back play inside the magazine well. This created a very unstable platform and made hits much more difficult. My hit ratio dropped from 80% to about 20%. However, I was crammed between two concrete benches and did not have room for a solid prone position, so this may be less of an issue from a proper stance.

When I was finished shooting, I removed the handguard and checked the barrel nut torque. The nut appeared to have loosened 1 click but was still tighter than when I started the day. I was not too concerned since the nut had just barely engaged that last click when I had tightened it, and it obviously did not have a problem hitting a 2 MOA target at 500 yards.

Conclusions: The barrel nut needs to be tightened as much as possible or accuracy will suffer—factory tension may not be enough; the ACR's 1/9 barrel with stabilize 75gr bullets; the ACR is easily capable of hitting a man size target out to 500 yards.

Total round count: 460 rounds. No malfunctions, lubrication, or cleaning to date.

Further testing planned: accuracy evaluation using match ammo and precision scope; practical accuracy from field positions.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

**UPDATE 7-22-11**

Fourth Range Trip – 1 MOA

I went to test some reloads in my Larue OBR 7.62 today, and the ACR accompanied me. Before shooting the OBR, I removed the US Optics SN-3 1.8-10x scope mounted in Larue OBR mount and replaced the ACOG TA33 with it on the ACR. The zero was very different from the OBR, so it took quite a few rounds to find paper. Once I did, I fired a 5 shot group of Hornady 75gr TAP which is the only match ammo that I had on hand. Using a machine rest, 10x scope, and match ammo, I was finally able to achieve a 1 MOA group with the ACR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_group_01_web.jpg
100 yard group using Hornady 75gr TAP. This group was fired from a machine rest using a US Optics SN-3 1.8-10x scope.

At this point, I was dying to stretch the OBR's legs, so I replaced the USO with the TA33, verified the ACOG's zero was still on with a 10 shot group (it was), and moved on to shooting the OBR. The 10 shot group used to verify zero at 100 yards was 2" using Hornady 75gr Training ammo. I should note that the ACOG using a Larue mount retained a perfect zero verified with 10 shot groups at 100 yards after being removed from the ACR and replaced. Also, while moving the USO between rifles, I accidentally dropped it 4 feet onto the concrete floor. I remounted it, and it still fired within 1 MOA of zero at 100 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_bench_01_web.jpg
The ACR is mounted in the machine rest used for accuracy testing. The 100 yard targets are visible at the top right.

Only 40 rounds were fired though the ACR today, but still no malfunctions. Since 75gr bullets are the top limit of a 1/9 twist barrel, I plan to retest the bench accuracy using some lighter weight match ammo.

Conclusions: The ACR appears to be 1 MOA capable with match ammo.

Total round count: 500 rounds. No malfunctions, lubrication, or cleaning to date.

Further testing planned: accuracy evaluation using lighter weight match ammo.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

**UPDATE** 8-7-11

Fifth Range Trip – IDPA Carbine Match

Today I competed in a local IDPA style carbine match with the ACR. Since all of the targets were within 25 yards, I removed the TA33 ACOG and used the stock Magpul sights. The round count was right around 100 rounds, and I used PMC X-Tac 55gr M193 5.56mm throughout the match. Again, no cleaning or lubrication was performed, and I did not experience any failures.

As previously demonstrated, muzzle climb was minimal, and the recoil exhibited more of a side to side shake which made close in shooting almost like shooting a braked rifle. The ACR's weight and balance kept the muzzle fairly stable while shooting on the move—especially compared to the 6lbs AR I shot at the last IDPA style carbine match. That said I'm not a proponent of shooting while moving under most circumstances outside of close quarters room entry type tactics.

This match provided a painful reminder of my first range trip: mechanical sight off set. I can normally negate the 2.5” sight off set of the AR15 outside of about 15 yards, but I definitely cannot with the ACR. At 15 yards, there was still a 3” off set between my point of aim and point of impact. This resulted in several clusters of shot groups just below the "A” zone for the first half of the match, but I finally figured it out near the end. Aiming for the neck provided a center chest hit at around 10 yards.

Several emergency/slide lock reloads were performed during the match, and the ACR's bolt release made them much simpler for me since I shoot rifles left handed. Again, I use my support hand thumb to depress the bolt release instead of my strong hand trigger finger since the extra leverage makes it much easier.. Although the ACR offers an ambidextrous solution, I continued to push the magazine release with my support hand thumb to keep continuity with the AR platform.

The rifle was kept in the shade when not in use, and I never experienced any heat buildup on the handguard during the 20 round (average) stages.

Match video available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pelvkx6GyZU

Conclusions: Mechanical off set must still be accounted for at 15 yards, the ACR runs 5.56mm pressure ammo fine, the ACR bolt release offers beautiful relief for left handed shooters.

Total round count: 600 rounds. No malfunctions, lubrication, or cleaning to date.

Further testing planned: precise mechanical off set POA/POI mapping from 3 to 25 yards.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

**UPDATE** 8-17-11

Sixth Range Trip – Magazine Monopod Test

I made a trip to the range today with some coworkers for some drills with our duty handguns and rifles. We shot mostly handgun with a little AR work, but I brought out my ACR when we finished for a quick test to see if it had any problems shooting prone off the magazine.

The Texas Hill Country is currently under severe drought, so the already hard, rocky ground is devoid of any give or cushion to absorb impact. There is a quarter inch of sand/gravel on top, but it offers no impact protection from the hard surface underneath. This is as hard as the ground gets without moving to a stone/concrete surface.

I was eager to test the magazine monopod issue since the ACR has gotten such a poor reputation for not functioning while resting on the magazine even though I have never heard any first hand accounts of this problem aside from Travis Haley's single comment on Facebook about an ACR malfunctioning once after dropping to prone. Since this comment caused such a stir, I decided to drop to prone and fire using the same method that he teaches. I have personally seen him demonstrate the technique at a Magpul Dynamics carbine course (great course by the way), and I watched that segment on the DVD before heading to the range just to be sure.

I went a hair slower than Travis usually demonstrates since I was doing it five times in rapid succession and did not have any knee/elbow protection. However, I came down just hard with the magazine taking the brunt of the impact, so I do not believe that it was any less stressful on the weapon.

I dropped to prone using the magazine to break my fall and fired four rounds using the magazine as a monopod then repeated for a total of five time. I did not experience any malfunctions and was using 5.56mm PMC X-Tac 55gr M193.

Magazine monopod test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Hv-WBsYXI

Conclusions: The ACR does not appear to be inherently incapable of using the magazine as support in the prone position.

Total round count: 625 rounds. No malfunctions, lubrication, or cleaning to date.

**UPDATE** 12-9-11

Accuracy Assessment

Tried out some lighter weight match ammo from the bench today. I used the same setup as before: mechanical rest from the bench using a US Optics SN-3 1.8-10x on 10x magnification set to be parallax free at 100 yards. The ammunition used was Federal Gold Medal Match using 69 grain Sierra Match King BTHP bullets, and Federal Tactical TRU using 55 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP bullets.

The ACR definitely preferred both loads to the heavier 75 grain Hornady training ammo. I fired two 10 shot groups of each load which is all I could afford at $10 per group. The ACR seemed to prefer the 69 grain FGMM with extreme spreads of 1.35” and 1.65” for an average of 1.50”, while both groups of the 55 grain TRU were exactly 2.00”.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/Guns/ACR/ACR_group_69gr_01_web.jpg
1.35" 10 shot group using Federal Gold Medal Match loaded 69 grain Sierra Match King BTHP bullets which proved to be the ACR's preferred load. Exhibiting the statistical validity of 10 shot groups to assess accuracy, the 5 shot cluster inside the larger group was under half an inch which would have been a dishonest accuracy assessment of the rifle.

I consider inch and half 10 shot groups good accuracy for a service rifle, especially considering the 800 rounds worth of copper and carbon fouling that were not removed from the barrel before the evaluation. While 1 MOA precision is certainly desirable, non-dedicated precision rifles that exhibit consistently repeatable 1 MOA precision are rare in my experience. While lucky 5 shot groups are fairly common (there were 5 shot clusters under .5” using both loads), they do not offer enough consistency for an honest evaluation. Therefore, at $1 per shot, I did not waste any money them.

Conclusions: The ACR offers good inherent accuracy for a service rifle.

Current Status

I took the ACR with me to a recent six day CSAT rifle instructor school, but I mostly used my work rifle (Noveske N4) since I was there for work to learn about teaching the AR platform. However, I did pull the ACR out briefly during some practice time to run drills and engage steel out 300 yards. I only put about 100 rounds through it which, along with some practice before the class, brings the total round count to 900 rounds with no malfunctions, lubrication, or cleaning to date.

More to follow . . .

kest_01
07-01-11, 07:01
Good write up so far, definitely look forward to hearing more about this as I too was very interested in this gun before Bushmaster took it over.

Buck
07-01-11, 07:04
Nice review...

"I feel like kicking a baby..." :lol:

B

HarvMcNasty
07-01-11, 14:25
Thank you

arjohnson
07-01-11, 20:59
Good reveiw. I also just recently bought an ACR basic tan, so far I shot 400rnds of mixed ammo from fed & win brass and tula steel case with zero issues.

I'm planning on putting a 1-4x scope on it to do some 100-300 yd shooting to see what kind of accuracy I can get.

I have a LMT 14.5" that I get sub MOA with 5 shots using Hornaday steel case. I'm not expecting that from the ACR but then again I didn't expect it from the LMT either.

variablebinary
07-01-11, 21:34
If the ACR had shorty barrels and spare parts, I would own one now.

Overall, I like the ACR.

topgunpilot20
07-02-11, 00:17
I have a LMT 14.5" that I get sub MOA with 5 shots using Hornaday steel case. I'm not expecting that from the ACR but then again I didn't expect it from the LMT either.

The 55gr or 75gr?

I've had good accuracy with the 75gr stuff, but haven't gotten anything near match quality with the 55gr in any rifle. That said, 2 MOA is good for any 55 gr training ammo which the Hornady was made to compete with.

I plan to try the 75gr in the ACR during my next range trip.

arjohnson
07-03-11, 21:58
The 55gr or 75gr?

I've had good accuracy with the 75gr stuff, but haven't gotten anything near match quality with the 55gr in any rifle. That said, 2 MOA is good for any 55 gr training ammo which the Hornady was made to compete with.

I plan to try the 75gr in the ACR during my next range trip.

55grn. I really could not beleive the accuracy I got from it.

topgunpilot20
07-13-11, 16:32
Update 7-13-11 on OP.

mkmckinley
07-16-11, 02:00
Outstanding review. I appreciate your comment about the quick change barrel feature being overrated. I came to the same conclusion with regard to the SCAR. I'd rather have the AR's quick change upper system and not have to rezero optics. I also enjoyed your comments on the ergonomics and ability to work the controls, I think a lot of the time those things are skipped over. thanks for contributing to the site.

JeepDriver
07-16-11, 08:01
Excellent write up. Thank you.

I've been interested in the ACR for just about as long as you. I've been watching the prices on GunBroker and watching the reviews online. As things shake out and the prices come down I find myself thinking more and kore about picking one up.

Skyfire1201
07-16-11, 12:33
Great write up, thanks for the info!

connorh
07-16-11, 13:02
Nice write up. Just to let you know, I find it much easier to read (and follow) something when a few pictures are thrown in. But other than that, awesome!

ForTehNguyen
07-16-11, 14:52
yea the barrel isnt its tightest at 6oclock, I tightened mine a little past 630

Zog
07-17-11, 00:16
There is a review of an SBR'd ACR here:

Www.tacticalelitist.com

topgunpilot20
07-17-11, 16:50
Nice write up. Just to let you know, I find it much easier to read (and follow) something when a few pictures are thrown in. But other than that, awesome!

Pictures added in OP just for you. ;)

connorh
07-17-11, 17:57
Pictures added in OP just for you. ;)

awwwwwww, thanks! :smile:

All jokes aside, it does look and "follow" much better. Plus, the pictures are awesome!

jamaicanj
07-17-11, 19:41
Nice review. Thanks for sharing

topgunpilot20
07-18-11, 21:27
There is a review of an SBR'd ACR here:

Www.tacticalelitist.com

Nice.

I plan to eventually SBR mine and shorten the barrel to 12.5". Planning to wait until it has proven reliable though as I'm sure it will void the warranty.

topgunpilot20
07-22-11, 18:27
Fourth range trip update in OP.

If anyone has any further evaluation idea please let me know.

decodeddiesel
07-23-11, 01:00
Thank you for such a well executed and unbiased review.

I will admit, I was in the Masada Kool-aid Camp big time back in 2008, but was very disappointed when I actually held and fired an ACR for the first time.

The platform does have potential as you and Sturmgewehr from the Military Arms youtube channel have demonstrated.

Also glad to hear your SN-3 was OK, a 4 foot drop onto concrete is no joke.

topgunpilot20
07-23-11, 01:15
Also glad to hear your SN-3 was OK, a 4 foot drop onto concrete is no joke.

My wife was there spotting for me, and she started flipping out when I dropped the SN-3--she knows how much I paid for it. I told her not to worry--that's why it costs so much.

decodeddiesel
07-23-11, 02:49
Lol, nice.

Tactical-Nut
07-23-11, 11:35
I read an article about this rifle and it got horrible reviews. Travis Haley of Magpul said it was one of the worst things that he has ever shot. It had malfunctions left and right. Bushmaster made it cheaply and didn't listen to what Magpul had to say about it. Bottom line this rifle is one of the biggest duds in firearms history.

connorh
07-23-11, 11:47
I read an article about this rifle and it got horrible reviews. Travis Haley of Magpul said it was one of the worst things that he has ever shot. It had malfunctions left and right. Bushmaster made it cheaply and didn't listen to what Magpul had to say about it. Bottom line this rifle is one of the biggest duds in firearms history.

First off, the magazine you read is basically a walking advertisement for surefire. Also, this weapon is in the gen. 1 stage. I've never seen a new weapon without at least some minor issue. Considering this is your first post, I imagine you are just trolling. The article was a joke anyway. Let me know if you want me to go on...

cjt50
07-23-11, 14:17
OP, thanks for posting your shooting experiences with the ACR.

I one of those idiots that bought one a year ago, enhanced black, when they 1st came out. In fact it was a year ago today.

Numerous range sessions and 4420 rounds later, I'm still statisfied with it. It has held up very well. Is it perfect, no. Would I buy it again, yes, especially now the price is more realistic than it was a year ago.

Palmguy
07-23-11, 14:57

If you are responding to something as long as the OP is, please don't quote the entire block of text and pictures. It's totally unnecessary.

decodeddiesel
07-23-11, 14:59

Yes Haley made those comments, and I agree that in it's current form the rifle suffers from numerous short comings. However, I for one really think the rifle has potential.

JOHNO
07-23-11, 15:34
I went ahead and edited the quote out.

topgunpilot20
07-24-11, 00:41
I read an article about this rifle and it got horrible reviews.

The article in question is "Missing in Action" by Cameron Hopkins published in the Summer 2011 issue of Surefire Combat Tactics magazine.

The article is a joke. Here's the main points it makes:

The ACR will never amount to anything because the SCAR already existed beforehand.
Travis Haley once shot an ACR that jammed.
Pistons, rotating bolts, and interrupted thread barrel attachments have been used before.
The ACR is currently available in .223/5.56 only.
One demo ACR shot 4 MOA with non-match ammo, another shot 1.5 MOA with non-match ammo, and a third shot 3 MOA with non-match ammo.
None of the 3 ACRs had a malfunction during test fire.
Bushmaster won't make money on the ACR because it's not an AR15.

There is no real rifle evaluation except for a handful of groups from the bench using non-match ammo.

Travis Haley of Magpul said it was one of the worst things that he has ever shot. It had malfunctions left and right. Bushmaster made it cheaply and didn't listen to what Magpul had to say about it. Bottom line this rifle is one of the biggest duds in firearms history.

Here's what Travis Haley actually stated:

Tyler Long
travis quick question and anyone can answer to if they please, Im taking a poll SCAR L or ACR
May 9 at 12:26pm · Like ·

Travis Haley SCAR
May 9 at 1:45pm · Like · 2 people

Travis Haley SCAR is far more accurate and reliable. I could certainly do without the reciprocating CH but I can get over that considering I have been very happy with the performance of the SCAR in classes and testing. I have broke every ACR I have ever touched with simple weapons manipulation.
May 9 at 2:57pm · Like · 2 people

David Uh Winning Alayon Makes me glad I never bought 1. The ar platform hasn't been replaced as our main service rifle for a reason
May 9 at 5:54pm · Like

Ed Driver Travis SCAR or M4 haha ?
May 9 at 7:40pm · Like

Travis Haley Don't get me wrong Ed, I am always looking for the next best thing, thats my job, but unfortunately I haven't seen it YET
May 10 at 1:02am · Like

Ed Driver Travis what broke on the ACR
May 10 at 1:10am · Like

Travis Haley short answer: Cant put any pressure on the mag when firing, spring tension issues, true barrel issues, accuracy issues, over insertion of mags, eats Pmags, weird malefactions, just a lot of no go criteria issues that unfortunately haven't been fixed yet.
May 10 at 1:26am · Like

David Uh Winning Alayon So the Remington "milspec" variant is the same?
May 10 at 1:27am · Like

Travis Haley yes that was the MIL variant...
May 10 at 2:37am · Like

Tyler Long yeah im always looking for the next best thing, i finsihed my SR556C as a SPR a while ago im just looking another great weapon that i can make my CQB carbine
May 10 at 9:51am · Like

David Uh Winning Alayon thats weak sauce travis. the guys at magpul paraded this thing around as the greatest thing since sliced bread and internet porn. and essentially its an overpriced wiffle bat with with a 30 round mag. weak sauce
May 10 at 9:55am · Like

Hans Kristoffer Jones Have you any experience with FN's F2000 series rifles?
May 10 at 1:13pm · Like

Danny Stewart i wonder what that dream weapon system will be that everyone loves and is good in every enviorment.. i could only dream. haha
May 11 at 12:14am · Like

John Ro shouldn't have let bushmaster near the Masada...
May 13 at 10:44pm · Like · 1 person

Travis Haley That is true the Magpul Masada was a very promising weapon system
May 13 at 11:39pm · Like · 4 people

ForTehNguyen
07-24-11, 08:54
The Sturmgewhere guy said on one of his vids he prefers the ACR over its competitors

decodeddiesel
07-24-11, 15:11
The Sturmgewhere guy said on one of his vids he prefers the ACR over its competitors

Coming from him that is quite an endorsement. I know within the next 6 months I will be purchasing either a SCAR or an ACR. Right now I am strongly leaning toward a SCAR because it is lighter, 1 in 7 twist, chrome lining, better balance, less recoil, and I feel a far far more developed weapon system.

Things on the SCAR I am not crazy on are the "standard" AR style bolt catch/release (please Magpul, make a BAD for the SCAR), the short rail, and the $800 - $1000 premium over the ACR.

ETA: I wanted to be clear, I felt my original post was not clear enough. Although I am favoring the SCAR I am by no means set on it. It is reviews like this that allow me to make an informed decision one way or another.

I have been looking at some of the work ADCO has done shortening, and contouring ACR barrels and it is damn impressive. It drops 1/4 pounds from the front of the rifle, which I think would help the balance and weight a lot. Also I think Marvin Pitts will do ACR barrel work. Having the barrel dimpled behind the gas block, contoured in front, and shortened to 14.5 would help the gun a lot.

topgunpilot20
07-24-11, 21:13
Coming from him that is quite an endorsement. I know within the next 6 months I will be purchasing either a SCAR or an ACR. Right now I am strongly leaning toward a SCAR because it is lighter, 1 in 7 twist, chrome lining, better balance, less recoil, and I feel a far far more developed weapon system.

Things on the SCAR I am not crazy on are the "standard" AR style bolt catch/release (please Magpul, make a BAD for the SCAR), the short rail, and the $800 - $1000 premium over the ACR.

I agree on the AR bolt release, short rail, and cost being the significant detractors of the SCAR and those specifically kept me from buying one.

The SCAR does have nice weight and balance, but the weight and reduced recoil are unfairly compared to the ACR since the SCAR comes equipped with a lightweight pencil barrel and muzzle brake--both of which could be added to an ACR (or AR) giving the exact same results.

The SCAR's main strengths IMO are the superbly engineered gas system and extensive government funded testing and refinement.

decodeddiesel
07-25-11, 00:29
I agree on the AR bolt release, short rail, and cost being the significant detractors of the SCAR and those specifically kept me from buying one.

The SCAR does have nice weight and balance, but the weight and reduced recoil are unfairly compared to the ACR since the SCAR comes equipped with a lightweight pencil barrel and muzzle brake--both of which could be added to an ACR (or AR) giving the exact same results.

The SCAR's main strengths IMO are the superbly engineered gas system and extensive government funded testing and refinement.

It seems we are really on the same page on this. Here are some of the thoughts I have had on both platforms after a limited handling and test firing.

I would have to say that another strength of the SCAR is that I prefer the SCAR stock to the ACR stocks. I have handled both the folder and the (better IMHO) fixed stock. Even so, this is still nitipicking as the ergonomics on the ACR are still very nice. I would probably go for a Coyote Basic then upgrade to the folder down the road if I felt it necessary.

If I got a SCAR I think I would probably have the barrel chopped at 14.5 and have a Surefire Break pinned on so as to be closer to a MK16. It seems that with all of the goodies I would want on the SCAR...Magpul MIAD, Magpul Safety, then Branham Rail, etc. it would easily become a $3000+ project. In the end though it would be a hell of a rifle.

With the ACR it seems you are looking at $1500 initial investment, say $300 for the barrel work, add a Surefire Break for $240, you are at $2000++. I seem to prefer the fixed ACR stock over the folder, but the folder does add some good functionality (mainly to fit the rifle in a smaller bag for camping, back packing, etc.) as well as some LOP adjustment. Also if 300BLK barrels started rolling out for the ACR that would be a big draw to the rifle. A 14.5" 300BLK ACR would be pretty awesome. I could not really think of a much better rifle for camping/hiking/backpacking or just survival.

The ACR safety really sucks. I played with one for a while at my fun store and I would either need to machine it down ala KAC, or replace it. If B.A.D. came out with a 45 degree ambi-safety for the ACR it would be a serious winner. Similarly, the weapon could use a Giessel trigger IMHO.

Still though when you compare to something like a Colt 6920, DD M4, or a BCM 16" middy it is a hell of a lot of money.

topgunpilot20
07-25-11, 00:37
I would have to say that another strength of the SCAR is that I prefer the SCAR stock to the ACR stocks. I have handled both the folder and the (better IMHO) fixed stock. Even so, this is still nitipicking as the ergonomics on the ACR are still very nice. I would probably go for a Coyote Basic then upgrade to the folder down the road if I felt it necessary.

I didn't really like either the SCAR or ACR folding stock. Surprisingly, I liked the fixed ACR stock the best followed by the folding ACR stock then the SCAR stock.

However, if/when I SBR the ACR I'll probably add the folding stock.

The ACR safety really sucks. I played with one for a while at my fun store and I would either need to machine it down ala KAC, or replace it. If B.A.D. came out with a 45 degree ambi-safety for the ACR it would be a serious winner. Similarly, the weapon could use a Giessel trigger IMHO.

You're not the first person I've heard complain about the ACR safety. I haven't had any issues, but since I shoot left handed I keep my thumb on the same side of the weapon as the rest of my hand to keep commonality with the non-ambi AR platform. Curious that Magpul makes a replacement SCAR selector but not one for the ACR.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-11, 00:40
Really an interesting choice between the rifles. I think the SCAR is the better rifle, but the ACR seems to have a better chance of getting accessories like a 300blackout barrel or even spare parts in general. The thing that concerns me is that both of these are orphan guns right now right? Neither has been picked up by a military yet, right?

Here's hoping that they release the MIL Remington version that is lighter and SBR and 300Blackout barrels get released. That would make the decision a lot easier.

topgunpilot20
07-25-11, 01:07
The thing that concerns me is that both of these are orphan guns right now right? Neither has been picked up by a military yet, right?

The SCAR was tested heavily by SOCOM and even issued for a short time. However, SOCOM stopped issuing the SCAR Lights earlier this year since there was not a significant enough advantage over the M4 to justify the extra cost and logistics. However, SOCOM still plans on using the SCAR Heavy.

Iraq Ninja
07-25-11, 02:58
However, SOCOM stopped issuing the SCAR Lights earlier this year since there was not a significant enough advantage over the M4 to justify the extra cost and logistics. However, SOCOM still plans on using the SCAR Heavy.

I thought the main reason was it made more financial sense to go with the SCAR H and then add the 5.56 adapter, then to stock the H with the L.

topgunpilot20
07-26-11, 14:50
I thought the main reason was it made more financial sense to go with the SCAR H and then add the 5.56 adapter, then to stock the H with the L.

The military has never said that AFAIK. After the cancellation, FN tried to entice them with that idea, but they didn't bite according to Kit Up.

http://www.military.com/news/article/spec-ops-command-cancels-new-rifle.html

http://kitup.military.com/2010/06/socom-cancels-mk-16-scar.html

jamaicanj
07-26-11, 15:32

Is a 5.56 adapter available for the civilian SCAR 17? I have not seen one advertised. If it is, how much is it and where does one order it from?

Thanks
J

Iraq Ninja
07-26-11, 15:58
None yet, but it is rumored to be in the works and makes sense for the military.

decodeddiesel
07-26-11, 17:33
Is a 5.56 adapter available for the civilian SCAR 17? I have not seen one advertised. If it is, how much is it and where does one order it from?

Thanks
J

It is not available to civilians.

ForTehNguyen
07-26-11, 17:47
You're not the first person I've heard complain about the ACR safety. I haven't had any issues, but since I shoot left handed I keep my thumb on the same side of the weapon as the rest of my hand to keep commonality with the non-ambi AR platform. Curious that Magpul makes a replacement SCAR selector but not one for the ACR.

put ambi controls on an AR, youll have the same problems with it poking your hand. Holding my AR left handed with the safety selector in the fire position it pokes my hand

topgunpilot20
07-26-11, 18:19
put ambi controls on an AR, youll have the same problems with it poking your hand. Holding my AR left handed with the safety selector in the fire position it pokes my hand

Since I shoot rifles left handed, my firing hand is always on the selector side--ambi or not. However, my hand is positioned lower than normal to make room for my thumb to ride the selector on the left side of the rifle, so it doesn't poke my hand.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-26-11, 19:29
None yet, but it is rumored to be in the works and makes sense for the military.

Conversion kits and adaptors are fine for training, but I'm leary about running one in a class, let alone if my life was on the line. Look at all the issues manufacturers have with single set up weapons, and now you want to add complexity all over again?

I saw in the Rifleman mag a closer pic of the Penderson device for the 1903. A 30cal 'Ciener' kit (what is a common/cheap 30 cal ammo?) for an SR25 platform is more appealing to me than a 5.56 kit.

I have an LMT MWS and while the barrel swap is cool, if you are radically changing barrel length and application, you most likely changing optics that have a new zero, and maybe even the stock set up. Changing calibers adds just more complexity.

Let's hope Remington tweaks the ACR to solve its problems, or HK gets more customer (civilian) friendly before the rifles become historic footnotes.

topgunpilot20
08-07-11, 15:41
IDPA style carbine match update in OP.

Link to the match video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pelvkx6GyZU

CaliberClark
08-13-11, 18:37
is there a good dependable company that is sbr-ing these?

ForTehNguyen
08-13-11, 21:34
some people got ACR SBR barrels done from http://www.adcofirearms.com/

topgunpilot20
08-13-11, 23:37
is there a good dependable company that is sbr-ing these?

Like ForTehNguyen posted, ADCO is shortening the stock ACR barrels.

ADCO has told me that they can shorten the stock barrel to 12.5" without any effect on reliability. The gas piston must be modified if you want it shorter than that since the gas system is similar in size to a midlength AR.

opmike
08-14-11, 15:42
Along with SBR'ing, ADCO of course offers re-profiling of the barrel to something less ridiculous. So, why didn't Bushmaster go with this profile originally? :rolleyes:

This is a pinned 14.5, if I am not mistaken.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/DSM118/003-1.jpg

Sensei
08-14-11, 19:57
Along with SBR'ing, ADCO of course offers re-profiling of the barrel to something less ridiculous. So, why didn't Bushmaster go with this profile originally? :rolleyes:

This is a pinned 14.5, if I am not mistaken...

I curious as to the weight savings of this modification.

buddyhoohaw
08-15-11, 09:34
I curious as to the weight savings of this modification.

I had ADCO cut mine to 14.0" however I passed on the reprofiling based on cost savings as I believe the weight savings is negligeable when chopping to 14.0". Note that SF brake is permanently attached by 1100 degree solder.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/ACR/ACR-04.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/ACR/ACR-05.jpg

Cheers

topgunpilot20
08-19-11, 04:12
Magazine monopod test update in OP.

Test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Hv-WBsYXI

topgunpilot20
12-09-11, 03:45
Accuracy assessment update in OP.

Tokarev
12-18-11, 11:57
Here's my ACR basic model. It's got about 200 rounds through it so far including a mag or two with a Gemtech HALO attached. The rifle has been used with GI and Troy magazines with no issues. No issues with mono-podding or over-insertion

The only change so far is the AAC blackout. I have the folding stock on order but haven't received it yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/utf-8BaW1hZ2VqcGVnXzIuanBn-1-1.jpg

Tokarev
12-18-11, 11:57
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/P1000351.jpg

cspackler
12-21-11, 00:53
Nice review topgun. Figure I'd pick one up when the price settles and Bushmaster makes a few changes. Everything has almost come around with the basic being offered with folding stock and the price is closer to reasonable now.
Thought I recognized your name from AR15.com, then watched the videos you have at ARC in Manor - I still have that M&P45 you sold me almost 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't get to shoot much these days so it mostly just sits in the safe missing all the fun it had with you. Maybe I'll take it with me tomorrow. I still haven't tried the TX Tac matches there either.

variablebinary
12-21-11, 14:17
The Masada was supposed to be a light weight, modular, inexpensive carbine

The ACR is not light, not modular and expensive.

The merits of the design, or downsides, always seem to take a backseat to the overall design failing to be what was intended.

Tokarev
12-22-11, 09:41
I might have spoken too soon.

I've been using my rifle in a more dynamic fashion lately and have found that I can almost always induce a double feed during an out of battery reload. I've tried the same magazines in an AR-15 with no issues. The amount of force I'm using is about the same as I'd normally use to seat a full magazine on a closed bolt. I'm not hammering on the mags or beating them into place or anything like that.

I've sent these videos to BFI. Hopefully they'll be able to find a solution to this.

Please see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZBzOAVCfit8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E6NuwH75RyM

ST911
12-22-11, 12:08
I've sent these videos to BFI. Hopefully they'll be able to find a solution to this. Please see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZBzOAVCfit8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E6NuwH75RyM

Hijack: Thank you for posting a video which exemplifies safe gun handling. It's such a welcome change from the youtube norm.

/hijack

ForTehNguyen
12-24-11, 10:09
i tried it out on my ACR. Mine does not pop rounds on PMAGS or USGI. However on Troy FDE mags they pop out, this is textbook feed lip spreading. When I try to put those FDEs in my AR15 there is some drag but no popping out. The Troy BLACK mags work fine, no popping out in the ACR and no drag in the AR15 magwell.

My theory is since the Troy FDEs feed lips are spreading, they are actually supported in the AR15 magwell with the tight fit, so it wont pop out rounds. Not so on the ACR, which has a looser magwell.

I just wont use my Troy FDEs in my ACR now. Another example of non black polymer being weaker than black polymer.

Tokarev
12-24-11, 10:24
i tried it out on my ACR. Mine does not pop rounds on PMAGS or USGI. However on Troy FDE mags they pop out, this is textbook feed lip spreading. When I try to put those FDEs in my AR15 there is some drag but no popping out. The Troy BLACK mags work fine, no popping out in the ACR and no drag in the AR15 magwell.

My theory is since the Troy FDEs feed lips are spreading, they are actually supported in the AR15 magwell with the tight fit, so it wont pop out rounds. Not so on the ACR, which has a looser magwell.

I just wont use my Troy FDEs in my ACR now. Another example of non black polymer being weaker than black polymer.

I actually don't think this is related to the mag well but rather the upper receiver.

If you look at an AR's upper, the feed lips are supported by the bottom of the ridge that the bolt carrier runs on. The ACR doesn't have this ridge so there's nothing there to support the feed lips and help keep them from spreading. With that said, it could be related to the tightness of the mag well but I think the lack of support for the feed lips is the most likely culprit.

Note the ridge inside the upper:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/P1000402.jpg

Tokarev
12-24-11, 10:26
The ACR's upper lacks anything to stop and/or support feed lips:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/P1000406.jpg

Magazine's lips supported in the AR:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/P1000404.jpg

No support for the top of the mag in the ACR:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Bushmaster%20ACR/P1000407.jpg

ForTehNguyen
12-24-11, 10:35
small update: my foliage green pmags somewhat exhibit the spreading fed lips, you can see the rounds get slightly dislodged when slamming the mag, but not near where they would pop out. I slammed my mags pretty hard in my tests. However on the next insertion the rounds right themselves in the mags. Kinda weird. On my black and coyote PMAGs, I couldn't get the rounds to pop out even when slamming them pretty hard. Same with the USGI and Troy blacks.

My theory is the unsupported feed lip design in the ACR combined with non black polymer mags could combine together to get one of these malfunctions. None of my black mags have that tight fit in my AR15's magwell, only the colored ones and some more than others. All of my PMAGs are stored without the feed lip covers on if anyone was wondering. It is known that non black polymers are weaker than the black polymer.

I noticed you used an OD pmag in the video, could you repeat the test with black polymer mags of each type if you have them. The ACR is designed for pmags also, so the magwell will have larger dimensions than a typical AR magwell since pmags are slightly larger.

ptmccain
12-24-11, 10:39
A very good write-up and review! Thanks for the hard work you put in on this.

I love me those ACRs.

Tokarev
12-24-11, 10:57
...could you repeat the test with black polymer mags of each type if you have them. The ACR is designed for pmags also, so the magwell will have larger dimensions than a typical AR magwell since pmags are slightly larger.

I actually did use a black PMAG but the right feed lip cracked all the way along its length and would no longer hold rounds on that side of the magazine. It could have already been cracked and repeating seating finished it off.

ForTehNguyen
12-24-11, 11:14
oh ok for some reason in the lighting it looked OD, it was a different shade than the ACR

Tokarev
12-24-11, 11:18
oh ok for some reason in the lighting it looked OD, it was a different shade than the ACR

The one in the video is a green Rev M. The black one I used was a black Gen I mag.

I didn't use it in the video because it was cracked so badly it would no longer retain rounds on the right feed lip.

Tokarev
12-24-11, 12:20
I've got two old C Products stainless steel mags that don't get used much nowadays. Not that there's been anything wrong with these mags but I'd kind of forgotten I had them. Anyway, I've loaded them up and have been seating them into the rifle with the bolt locked back with no issues. Fast or slow it doesn't make a difference and the rounds stay in place inside the magazines like they should.

If I were to use my ACR in as a patrol or duty carbine I'd make sure I tested my magazines thoroughly and carried steel magazines with the rifle for serious use.

As always, YMMV.

Wormydog1724
01-21-12, 20:18
My new ACR.

Put 120 rounds suppressed through it today with no issues. Accuracy wasn't to impressive but I plan trying a different optic. Hopefully I got it zeroed good enough for a Rifle/Pistol match I am attending tomorrow which calls for 150~ rifle rounds. Will report back with any issues I encounter.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/fef662ab.jpg