PDA

View Full Version : centerpoint 2-7 illumincated recticle scope

manofsteel
07-01-11, 16:33
I was at the range today shooting my new smith and wesson mp15 sport with iron sights, shoots great, but there was another guy there who was shooting a sig 556 that he had mounted a center point 2-7 illuminated recticle scope on and he was drilling the bullseye with it at 75 yards every shot, said he had it on a 30-06 hunting rifle and it holds zero everytime he shoots it.
I looked it up on the internet when i got home and actually saw it online at walmart for less than 100 bucks. all the reviews seemed great, but at that price, can that be a good site to put on a ar15, i liked the fact that it had a low power setting and could zoom it up to 7x for longer shots. Thought about putting one on my smith because i liked the illuminated recticle and at the low setting of 2x, when i shot his sig, it was like using a a red dot site. any thoughts? Going to a gun shop tomorrow that has aimpoint sites, curious if they have anything with varialbe zoom and illuminated recticles? Any suggestions from experience with something similiar to the center point, just having a hard time believing that at that price could be very good quality, i have bushnell 3-9 40mm silver tropy scopes on my hunting rifle and 44mag pistols so also looking at bushnell for my smith
Thanks

Th3Revreant
07-01-11, 22:10
tried a centerpoint scope on a hi point carbine a long time ago when i was playing around. reticle was too thick to use at long ranges, didnt hold zero on anything other than a 22. Just food for though. Could save you 70 or 80 bucks you could save for a decent sight in the future. You can find nice aimpoints or acogs on here at the ee for cheap. Just keep and eye out.

manofsteel
07-01-11, 22:37
looking at a bushnell, had good luck with them on my other guns, wanting low power, possibly a 2-6 type. going to look at some aimpoint tomorrow.

tiktat
07-02-11, 00:29
I have a centerpoint on one of my ar's. No complaint's here. I use it for hunting and its always been good to me. I bought it after reading lots of good reviews.

manofsteel
07-02-11, 19:51
thanks, took my smith and wesson mp15 sport to the range this morning, shoots great, iron sights at 50 yards could keep all of them in a group about the size of my fist. Actually picked up one of the centerpoint 2-7 illuminated recticle scopes last night at walmart and my son put in on the sig 522, zeroed it in this morning on his sig, then just for the heck of it, took it off, mounted it on my smith and did not try to zero it, just put the cross hairs on the center of the target at 50 yards, it shot about 3 inches low and a little to the right on my smith, but what impressed me was that it was about a 1-1.5 inche group, after shooting the 30 round clip, was just one big hole, have to admit, know its not one of the name brand 300 dollar scopes, but was impressed, the web site and package says it recoil proof on shotguns and larger caliber rifles. Not trying to be cheap, seems like some folks think because i got a 585 smith and wesson mp15 sport instead of a 1000 gun with a forward assist that you might be trying to be cheap, but there where about 10-12 other folks at the range this morning and from talking with a couple of them, they have never had to use the forward assist and has been shooting for years, actually a group of 7 of us was on one side and they all said they never used the forward assist was impressed with the smith sport. still not decided on a scope yet, gonna do some more research, but just may take my sons centerpoint and get him another one for his sig 522. Any suggestions on a see through type scope rings that would allow using the iron sights as well?
Thanks, great site

ucrt
07-02-11, 23:26

Here's how I've always explained it....

A good pair of glasses will cost you at least $250+ and for that price they aren't water-tight, shock-proof, dust proof plus they don't have magnification, variable power, adjustable crosshairs, repeatable crosshairs, ... now add illumination, bullet compensation,...
A scope is much more complicated than a pair of glasses...how do you think someone could build quality optics for less than the price of a pair of glasses?
You will have to pay for decent scope and none of the ones mentioned so far in this thread are what I would consider high-quality (or even basic quality).

Concerning optics...A high price is not a guarantee of high quality but a low price is an absolute indicator of low quality...no way around it...period!

But maybe it's just me...

wetidlerjr
07-03-11, 18:54
If ANY under $100 scope holds up over the long run (5K+ rounds) on anything other than a 22LR then it is an anomaly rather than a standard. You, simply, "Get what you pay for". There is no free lunch. :cool: