PDA

View Full Version : M&P can you do this to any other gun?

Mr. Smith
07-02-11, 09:54
I just got this done for a customer and thought you would like to see some pics.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/MRP/100_3649.jpg

The slide is done in nickel boron with a RMR, night sight front sight and a black rear.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/MRP/100_3651.jpg

It has laser grips and a threaded barrel for a can and some trigger work.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/MRP/100_3659.jpg

What do you guys think about the package for a home defense gun?

It is for the lady of the house.

C4IGrant
07-02-11, 09:59
Very nice Joe!

C4

Mr. Smith
07-02-11, 11:22
Thanks it was fun to do.

DBH
07-02-11, 11:30
Excellent job.

Seraph
07-02-11, 11:32
That's hot! I guess its suitability for the lady of the house is dependent on the lady herself, but, if she doesn't want it, I'll take it. :D

(I'm predicting the lady of the house will say it's too complicated, and that the customer will end up having to keep it for himself. Poor guy.)

ccosby
07-02-11, 11:33
Never seen one where they kept the rear sight when a holo sight went on. How usable is it?

KhanRad
07-02-11, 11:43
Very nice. It's only a matter of time before RDS mounts become standard on handguns, just as they have for rifles.

CaptainDooley
07-02-11, 12:39
Trim that beavertail back a hair and give a little relief under the trigger guard and it would be perfect. Very, very nice.

I keep bouncing back and forth between having this done or getting an Aimpoint for my carbine. This seems infinitely more practical, since this would be the gun I would have on me in the event of a defensive situation (more than likely).

skyugo
07-02-11, 13:06
tac'd out! but still looks clean, and certainly functional.

needs an x300. :cool:

Mr. Smith
07-02-11, 14:01
Thanks guys.

loupav
07-02-11, 16:19
Excellent work!

SteveL
07-02-11, 16:32
Nice work. I'm also curious how usable the rear sight is with the RMR behind it.

Norseman
07-02-11, 17:03
That is very nice! If you dont mind me asking, is the rear sight custom made? It has a cool national match quality to it.

Again awesome work!

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-02-11, 19:18
Nice! With the RDS and extended mag that is pretty close to an Open gun. Any suggestions for a comp that will fit an M&P threaded barrel?

JHC
07-03-11, 15:08
Very nice. It's only a matter of time before RDS mounts become standard on handguns, just as they have for rifles.

To do that new sights will need to evolve to remedy the long learning curve at close range speed.

kwelz
07-03-11, 15:17
I got a chance to play around with this gun before the NB finish was applied. It is F-ing sweet. So much so that I purchased another M&P with the intend of having this done to it.

The Irons are still usable although it takes a minute to get used to the sight picture. Once you get your head around it however you realize it is no different than an AR with a lower 1/3 co-witness.

Did you ever figure out a package price for this work Joe? I know it takes a lot of work.

bmg
07-03-11, 15:55
How tall is that front sight compared to the standard one?

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-03-11, 16:39
Pretty awesome!

Quinn
07-04-11, 00:11
I keep bouncing back and forth between having this done or getting an Aimpoint for my carbine. This seems infinitely more practical, since this would be the gun I would have on me in the event of a defensive situation (more than likely).

This. I am contimplating the exact same thing. Just unsure if a RDS on a handgun would really be practical for self defense because from what I gathered from other threads it is hard to find the dot at close range.

SWATcop556
07-04-11, 01:18
Looks like great work. I wish the NiB could be done in a matte black vs the "pimp gun" silver.

Timbonez
07-04-11, 02:17
Looks like great work. I wish the NiB could be done in a matte black vs the "pimp gun" silver.

While I agree that I don't like guns with a silver color to it, that NiB finish looks very flat and non-reflective. It isn't like a polished or brushed chrome finish.

That pistol looks outstanding.

SWATcop556
07-04-11, 02:51
Completely agree, I just wish it was more descreet. My Dept. has a weapons policy of no two tone or stainless weapons (less of an issue now that we went to a Glock only weapons policy). Would be nice to have the benefits of the NiB and still fall in policy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-04-11, 02:59

It would be silly stupid expensive, but couldn't you take an NiB coat a gun and then paint the NiB coating on the outside of the gun with Cerakote and leave all the internals NiB coated?

This. I am contimplating the exact same thing. Just unsure if a RDS on a handgun would really be practical for self defense because from what I gathered from other threads it is hard to find the dot at close range.

There is a whole thread or threads on RDS on handguns here. There is nothing magical about an RDS. I have one on my MP9 FS and you still have to point the gun where you want it to hit. A RDS is not a maagic aiming point that hovers out in the ether. It is more forgiving than irons- where you need your head, two sights and the taret aligned. The window of the screen gives you just that much 'wiggle' room to get the RDS 'sight picture'. If you are not in the right area- and I have not defined what this means yet for my vision and RDS set up at a given distance- you don't see the dot and you get people 'fishing' the pistol around. If you point the gun at your target, the red dot is there and you can fine tune your shot. In all that I've read, the RDS may not even be faster at all up close, but further away it is a big help- and also helps older people or people with poorer eyes by having the aim point and the target in the same plane.

Work2shoot
07-04-11, 08:05
It would be silly stupid expensive, but couldn't you take an NiB coat a gun and then paint the NiB coating on the outside of the gun with Cerakote and leave all the internals NiB coated?

I read certain paint and coatings work well with the NiB.

Mr. Smith
07-04-11, 08:29
I have used cera-kote on the NB finish in the past it gives you the best of both worlds.
The work on this gun takes some time the rear I used is the standard colt 1911 rear.
You can use a lot of different rear sights in that dovetail and with a night sight front it makes for a nice sight picture.

canucksvt
07-04-11, 08:52
Very nice job Mr. Smith. I look forward to the day I can set up an appointment with you for some wheelgun work.

Mr. Smith
07-04-11, 09:07
I would love to help you.

WillBrink
07-04-11, 10:15
I just got this done for a customer and thought you would like to see some pics.

Tarzan want!!!!! :cool: