PDA

View Full Version : Man Up! Ruger LC-9 Owners time to come out of the closet

PA PATRIOT
07-02-11, 17:38
Ok Gentlemen,

I know there has to be more then a few Ruger LC-9 owners out there since the pistols current retail is right around $319.99 and the little 9mm pistol is building a reputation for outstanding reliability.

So come on and out your selfs and tell us what you think of the LC-9

http://gunsforsale.com/ghg/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ruger_LC9_01.jpg

http://gunsforsale.com/ghg/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ruger_LC9_06.jpg

Tokarev
07-02-11, 21:36
Is there any specific information you're looking for?

skyugo
07-02-11, 21:49
hmm.. that price point does make it sort of appealing... anybody do a 2000 round challenge on one yet?

exiledtoIA
07-03-11, 09:58
Just got mine, can't really tell you much since only 150 rounds thru it.
Mine has shown a preference for 124 grain loads. recoil is snappy which was expected given the guns lack of weight. So far no malfunctions. If you get one strip and clean it before you shoot it.
Roger ships it with a load of preservative everwhere.

BGREID
07-03-11, 12:03
I am still considering one of these.

RagweedZulu
07-03-11, 21:38
I just bought one for my mom for $319. She recently took a CCW course and wanted one of mine to carry. Negative! I'm not a huge fan of the 9mm but I'm sure it will serve her well.

Recently shot a friend's LCP and was not very impressed by that loooooooong trigger reset. Hope the LC9 is slightly better.

luvmy40
07-03-11, 22:29
I'm on the fence, so to speak. My wife has a Taurus 709B which has every feature I would look for in a single stack 9mm except for the the distance between the trigger and grip. Even for my average sized hands, the trigger is too close to the grip for comfort.

The PPS is a fore runner for me as is the LC9. I would like to say that the trigger is secondary for me but to be truthful, I am much more comfortable with a single action than a double action. Which is making me lean toward the Walther over the Ruger.

BGREID
07-03-11, 23:57
I'm on the fence, so to speak. My wife has a Taurus 709B which has every feature I would look for in a single stack 9mm except for the the distance between the trigger and grip. Even for my average sized hands, the trigger is too close to the grip for comfort.

The PPS is a fore runner for me as is the LC9. I would like to say that the trigger is secondary for me but to be truthful, I am much more comfortable with a single action than a double action. Which is making me lean toward the Walther over the Ruger.

I am waiting to see the Kimber SOLO but it does cost twice as much.

rathos
07-04-11, 03:57
hate the trigger and the safety. It is pretty accurate and my friend's hasn't had any issues in about a 1000 rounds. It is a little snappy due to the lack of weight. Because of the trigger it is hard to shoot fast, and when shooting fast the false reset point catches me sometimes. If you shoot it like a revolver then you don't get too messed up. For my money I would spend the little bit extra and go with the CM9 from kahr.

C4IGrant
07-04-11, 09:32
I'm not a huge fan of the 9mm but I'm sure it will serve her well.

Sidetrack! What is it about the 9mm you do not like?

C4

fiddly_foo
07-04-11, 09:40
Have to agree with the person who said the lcp has that longgggggg trigger reset... other than that the lcp is a great little carry gun in the front pocket and if I remember when I was shooting it the slide doesnt stay open on the last shoot can be 100% wrong if I am don't get all mad just correct me and I'm sorry .. Going to try the lc9 soon...

a1fabweld
07-04-11, 11:27
The LC9 wasn;t out when I bought my LCP or I would have gotten it instead. My LCP is a cool little gun. I CCW it most because of the compact size. When I first bought it I didn't care much for it. After having about 500 rounds down it & getting used to it, I shoot it very well now. It's never given me any problems & has fed & ejected every round which ranges from reloads to PMC to Remington. But enough about my LCP.

fiddly_foo
07-04-11, 12:38
I think thats what would happen to me to. The first time I shoot it there were some good things with the bad but the more rnd's. I put down range and got use to it the more it would grow on me for a great little pocket gun . I always run across the street and order food at this kick ass chicken place but hate putting on the belt the holster and my 45c when I could just through the lcp in my front pocket and out the door. And were I live in Bpt. CT I do need it just to cross the green 200 yd's. across the street..

DemonRat
07-04-11, 13:25
My wife is 5'1" and has small hands would you recommend this for her as a CCW. She can shoot my Springfield Armory XD .40 S&W just fine but its a double stack and is kinda large for her hands. I have been looking for a handgun for her and saw the Ruger LC9. Just curious didn't want to start another thread on this handgun just to ask this question.

She has been wanting a Kel-Tec and I want her to have a handgun that has a better name behind it. I am not to sure about those little handguns as we went looking at some of them at a gun store by me and I took it and cocked it and then hit it on the palm of my hand. It was if I just pulled the trigger on it. The hammer fell striking the firing pin. I am glad it was empty. Not sure if this is is just that one handgun that did it or if there all just junk. Any help from here would be appreciated. As i have spent many an hour reading the forums here since I have joined and you all know way more then I do. lol

MagpulWhore
07-04-11, 13:49
I just got one and am very happy with it. it is rather small, but despite its size it manages to fill the hand nicely. I have slightly larger hands I really like the extended floor plate. I could do without the large loaded chamber indicator, but it really does not distract you in any way and the safety probably is not necessary with the long DA trigger pull, but again not really an issue. The pull was consistent from take-up to release and is similar to a double action revolver. The reset is a bit confusing as there is a noticeable click about halfway through that seems like the trigger has reset, but it does not actually reset until the trigger is released entirely.

I had great luck at the range. The little pistol is surprisingly accurate for a lightweight gun with a short sight radius. Felt recoil was also very manageable. I put about 350 rounds through it using several different types of ammunition. To my surprise there were absolutely no failures to feed, fire, or extract. Not even a hiccup. Most ammunition used was 115 grain FMJ; two magazines of Horniday jacketed hollow point . The only issue I had was that the slide failed to lock back on the last round most of the time, I would say 8 out of 10 magazines fired failed to go to slide lock. Perhaps after a little more breaking in this will work itself out.

I am very impressed with this little 9mm. I am using it as my every day carry gun now. It is hard to find mags and holsters for it , but Desantis does make a holster for it and this place Battlehard concealment (http://www.battlehardcs.bigcartel.com), looks like they make a little Kydex holster for it.

titsonritz
07-04-11, 14:41
1. Beta-bugs, every manufacturer has had issues with newly released designs/pistols to a varying degree, Ruger just seems to get bit more often.
2. Manual Thumb Safety: I prefer no safety. If you’re going to have a manual safety at a frame mounted, downward actuation is the only accept one IMO. So while not a deal breaker it certain is not a preference.
3. Non-Captive recoil spring: While not a big thing it just one more something to deal with and possibly lose. (Spring go boing, that’s what they do)
4. Stupid loaded-chamber indicator: I not a fan of job specific loaded-chamber indicators to begin with but this one is probably the most hideous I’ve seen to date. IMO they are just adding more little parts, thereby introducing something else to break, for no real gain. I mush prefer the Glock (and many others) approach and combine it with the extractor. (Probably should be move down The Ugly)
5. Not a real double action it has a hammer but lacks 2nd strike capability, what’s the point? (Probably should be move down The Ugly, too)
6. Key lock Safety – No way, no day will I own firearm with one of these hunks of junk. It is a true instant deal breaker to me.
7. Key needed for Disassemble – From the owner manual, page 2; 5. Using a finger or a “soft” tool, push the takedown plate down (see Figure 10A) to expose the takedown pin (see Figure 10B). 6. Insert the Ruger key into the slot on the right side of the frame (see Figure 11A),
and push the takedown pin out the left side of the pistol (see Figure 11B). Com’on, really?
8. Overly complex, way too many small unnecessary parts just waiting choke with no real gain. It’s got more parts then a 1911 for crying out load. From the myriad of safeties, the chamber-load indicator, takedown plate and a DA that isn’t really a DA this pistol possess too much BS.
9. Size – It is too big to be a real pocket pistol, (which is to me is a main criteria for a light weight, small, slim single stack), may as well pack a Glock 26. It is not big enough or high capacity enough for my idea of a primary CCW. It is kind of and awkward, useless size.

It just has too many strikes against it in my book. I realize Ruger is playing the “lawyer and oppressive state approved game” with all the little bells and whistles and there are those that welcome such features for the fuzzy and warm safe delusion factor. I just have no such issues and do not require a pistol designed for that purpose.

ETA:
10. Magazine disconnect safety, another deal breakers.

Tokarev
07-04-11, 15:27
I've found, in shooting hot defensive ammo, that I will more often than not cause the magazine to self-eject. The tip of my index finger pushes against the magazine release just enough to release the mag. Usually my pinky finger will keep the mag in place but that's not always the case. Add a magazine disconnect and I've got a failure to fire!

RagweedZulu
07-04-11, 20:39
Sidetrack! What is it about the 9mm you do not like?

C4

I'm just not a big fan of the 9mm for EDC since I can easily carry a pistol in .40 that is the same size, albeit less rounds, but big deal 13+1 or 15+1. I'm not a hater, I used to carry a Sig 228 and then bought my wife a G19 for home duty, but I carry .40 on duty and as a rangemaster, get a lot of free, top shelf HP ammo. Off duty I occasionally carry a .45 in either the G30/21 or a simple but rugged Kimber Custom II.

My deciding factor was watching some of my shooters one day "ping" steel poppers, knocking some down along the way. The guys putting .40 and .45 downrange smacked the poppers with a loud "bong" and knocked em down almost every time. Made me realize the difference in power behind these rounds. Would I carry a 9mm and feel pretty well armed? Sure, but since we have choices, I have chosen the larger calibers for a lot of years now and have learned to shoot them well.

F-Trooper05
07-04-11, 20:53
I... get a lot of free, top shelf HP ammo.

That's all you had to say.

RagweedZulu
07-04-11, 23:20
That's all you had to say.

It's a very cool perk Troop! I have a garage full of Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot. My agency, a typical wasteful state agency, shoots the same stuff at the range as we carry for our duty loads. The is no such thing as hardball range ammo here. It simplifies things, precludes officers from accidentally going back on the road with range ammo and allows a few of us to help them "dispose" of it!

PA PATRIOT
07-04-11, 23:55
I decided to purchased a Ruger LC-9's as the price was right and I was able to pick my pistol out of several that just arrived at my local FFL.

First impressions were as many stated that the loaded chamber indicator is ugly and just not necessary, Ruger stated that untold people asked for Ruger to include this feature on the pistol through Rugers "Tell Us" program but I personally think the real reason was that Ruger wished to market this pistol in restrictive states such as CA. and NY. and nothing more.

As to the magazine disconnect and frame mounted safety both are also just another attempt for Ruger to a target a selective buyers group who live in restrictive states but as long as they don't affect my shooting or the appearance of the pistol then they don't bother me at all.

But looking past the chamber indicator the pistol is good looking with smooth lines and decent sights, slide to frame fit is excellent.

The trigger pull mimics a revolver being smooth and non stacking at 6 pounds. The slide release, safety and magazine release are well placed for my hand size and easy to manipulate with the thumb.

Once I have the chance to fire a thousand rounds Thur her I'll report back.

Here is some decent pictures on this site.
http://gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9.htm

DWood
07-05-11, 12:40
I have one and will carry it once I have fired it enough to confirm reliability. It will go in the pocket instead of a J frame for those quick trips when I don't want to carry something bigger. The safety doesn't bother me at all as the long DAO is "safe" without having to engage the safety.

Gunut
08-23-11, 19:57
Thanks for the input have to take a 2nd look at the trigger

huntswithweim
08-24-11, 10:05
I bought a LC9 in june and sold it about two weeks ago. IMO the trigger is brutally long and I could not get over it. I really wanted to like the gun but it just didn't work for me.

Vegas
08-24-11, 11:33
I have no experience of either gun yet but does anyone think the Kahr CW9 would be a better choice at $365? The Kahr would be more reliable?

Beat Trash
08-24-11, 13:18
I was looking at one. When dryfiring it, if I let the trigger go about halfway forward, there was a distinctive "klick", as if the sear had reset. If I started to pull for a second shot, I couldn't move the trigger. I had to let the trigger go farther forward.

I guess with a lot of practice, I could get around this quirk of the trigger. But to me, this was a deal breaker.

I've owned a Kahr PM9 since about 2005. Mine hasn't had any issues, other than maybe being a bit too small for my hands. I'd probable look at the Kahr CW9 if I were interested in a smaller 9mm.

I recently bought a Walther PPS 9mm. It's more expensive than the Ruger, and bigger. But the PPS is unbelievably accurate. I only have 300 rounds through the PPS so far, but it ran without issues so far.

TriumphRat675
08-24-11, 13:43
I was looking at one. When dryfiring it, if I let the trigger go about halfway forward, there was a distinctive "klick", as if the sear had reset. If I started to pull for a second shot, I couldn't move the trigger. I had to let the trigger go farther forward.

The LCP does the same thing; this is a deal breaker for me. I ride the reset on both Glocks and M&P's and don't want to have to worry about locking the trigger up if I ever really need it.

munch520
08-24-11, 14:39
Went through an overhall in the past few months in an effort to align calibers, got everything to either 9mm or 5.56

Throughout the process I looked at the LC9...from Ruger's point of view, it makes sense to try and bridge the gap between pocket pistols and compacts with the LC9 but I don't like it at all.

-As mentioned, loaded chamber indicator is useless and unsightly. It's mine, I loaded it...thus I know when it's loaded and always handle it as such. No idea what the point of LCIs are.
-The trigger reset, as mentioned, is fluky and too long
-Why is a thumb safety needed on a double action, heavy triggered pistol?
-Size was the biggest deal breaker for me. If I want a pocket gun I think CM9/PM9, S&W Bodyguard, LCP, Sig238. And if I want something larger, easier to shoot, more capacity, and more accurate...I bypass the LC9 and look straight to a compact Glock, M&P, etc.

I have no experience of either gun yet but does anyone think the Kahr CW9 would be a better choice at $365? The Kahr would be more reliable?

No idea about reliable but I just got a CM9 (smaller than the CW9) for $450 and I found it to be a nice middle group between the CW9 and PM9 from size and price aspect.

Vegas
08-24-11, 14:49
No idea about reliable but I just got a CM9 (smaller than the CW9) for $450 and I found it to be a nice middle group between the CW9 and PM9 from size and price aspect.

I haven't seen the CM9 at the local store but will check one out when I can as it sounds interesting. They don't seem to be able to keep Kahr's in stock lately.

Indy5000
08-24-11, 17:13

The Kel-Tec PF-9 does the same thing. I'm used to the long trigger reset on my S&W 642 but the click in the middle of the PF-9 reset puts my brain into M&P 9C mode and I think the sear is reset. I'm not sure if the PF-9 will be sticking around because of this.

How is the trigger reset on the Kahr line of pistols different than this? Is it more Glock/M&P like?

ColdDeadHands
08-24-11, 17:15
While looking for a "hot weather carry" I checked them out but decided on a S&W 642 instead.

tpd223
08-24-11, 20:20
IMHO trigger rest is the absolute worse reason to pick or not pick a pistol.

Riding the reset is also a bad idea..

Anyway, the LCP is a Kel Tec PF9 with a better polish and more "safety" features, but much less of a warrantee.

From having owned both I'd go with the KT and save some money at the front end.

munch520
08-24-11, 20:28
How is the trigger reset on the Kahr line of pistols different than this? Is it more Glock/M&P like?

Close but it's longer. From my experience with Kahrs, they all have great triggers.

Denali
08-24-11, 21:49
I have not heard that these pistols are "outstandingly reliable," quite the contrary, I have heard that they are finicky feeders with terrible triggers and a stupid loaded chamber indicator.

Not even on my radar....

Vegas
08-25-11, 02:11
Anyway, the LCP is a Kel Tec PF9 with a better polish and more "safety" features, but much less of a warrantee.

I have shot both of these pistols and didn't like the trigger or snappiness on either of them. It took a lot of concentration for me to shoot accurately with them. Anything over 5 yards and I would not feel confident about hitting the bad guy. Ymmv of course.

I have yet to get around to shooting the Kahrs but will do so when my CCW comes through. Hoping they are better for me as I would like something for the pocket that I could be confident with if push came to shove.

PA PATRIOT
08-25-11, 23:16
I'm going to have to see what causes that double click during the trigger reset of the LC-9, I have read that it may have some thing to due with the magazine safety but I wont know until I tear the gun down.