PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen4 Ext. Mag Catch

sgtlmj
07-03-11, 09:50
I'm enjoying my Gen4 G17, and have been shooting it in competitions as well as just plinking. I haven't had any of the issues some folks have reported with the Gen4's, even with cheap-o ammo. My only issue is that the new "extended" mag button is too flush with the frame and actually harder to activate than the earlier generations. I used to run the Vickers button on my other Glocks.

Someone finally came out with an extended Gen4 button, so I picked one up. As expected, it was way too big and would release a mag if you set it down on its left side or sqaushed it a bit in the holster. Nothing that a little sandpaper couldn't fix...

I took it down to about 1/2 way between the stock button and the extended length. I made sure that it wouldn't release if you layed the Glock on a flat surface. Finally, I gave it a nice rounded contour and hit it with my handy stippling tool (woodburning iron) for a little texture.

I can now release a mag without shifting my grip at all.

Here's the link to the mag catch: http://www.topglock.com/item/528699_TopGlock_Custom_Parts_TGSCOM_Glock_Gen_4_Mag_release_plastic.aspx

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100256/photo_2/web.jpg?ver=13090221210001
http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100256/photo-202-1/web.jpg?ver=13090431130001
http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100256/photo-205/web.jpg?ver=13090431110001

tuck
07-03-11, 11:27
That looks pretty sweet. The stock Gen 4 mag releases leave something to be desired and it looks like you took care of it.

MichaelD
07-03-11, 11:44
Great work! With the texturing you did, it looks like a factory part.

JHC
07-03-11, 15:05
Well that goes to show you can't fit everybody. Gen 4 mag release just crushes it and it vastly better than Gen 3 stock or the Vickers part IMO. I'm loosing a little in the understanding the too flush with the frame part but that's no matter. So long as the shooter's satisfied.

msstate56
07-03-11, 17:09
Can we please get a Vickers Gen4 mag release? Anyone?

JHC
07-03-11, 17:23
I bet we won't. And it's because the OEM Gen 4 part works so well. ;)

t1tan
07-03-11, 17:55
Can we please get a Vickers Gen4 mag release? Anyone?

On Larry Vickers facebook page he said "The stock Gen 4 mag release only need a little tweaking with a file to be good to go. There probably won't be a Vickers version unless something changes."

:sad:

jdavis6576
07-04-11, 06:07
In a class this past April LV said there'd be a Vickers Gen4 Magazine release in the future but he didn't give a time frame. I HATE the Gen4 release, although it is larger in surface area it is worse than the Gen3 stock release. That's one of the reasons I sold my Gen4 G19 and replaced it with an RTF2. My wife has a Gen4 G26 so we'll pick up a Vickers as soon as they become available.

Tango Down
07-06-11, 16:22
Hi Guys,

We are currently putting the final touches on the Vickers Tactical Gen4 Mag Release. We agree with all of your comments, the OEM Gen4 mag release is pretty dismal. Yes, it's bigger. Yes, it's also flush with the frame and very tough to release, requiring a large shift in the shooter's grip.

We are very pleased with the new product progress, and will update everyone when prototype testing is complete.

Best regards-

Jeff

JHC
07-06-11, 16:46
Hi Guys,

We are currently putting the final touches on the Vickers Tactical Gen4 Mag Release. We agree with all of your comments, the OEM Gen4 mag release is pretty dismal. Yes, it's bigger. Yes, it's also flush with the frame and very tough to release, requiring a large shift in the shooter's grip.

We are very pleased with the new product progress, and will update everyone when prototype testing is complete.

Best regards-

Jeff

That will be a cool option for some although I think the OEM part is great. But having long fingers and thumbs seems to leave me wondering about the issues others report about a lot of gun design issues because many thou's of rounds through Gen 4's I've not found it necessary to shift my grip at all much less large. Ditto for the OEM slide release.

M4Guru
07-06-11, 18:25
I like the OEM Glock mag release. Maybe there is room for improvement or a better design for shooters with smaller hands, but I have no complaints personally. Of course, I'll try the Vickers model to see if I've been missing something.

msstate56
07-06-11, 21:52
Hi Guys,

Best regards-

Jeff

Thank you. Some handgun shooters must not realize that everyone's hands are not the same size. Just because the Gen 4 mag release is "perfect" for you, and you see no need for improvement, doesn't mean that it's "perfect" for all others.

sgtlmj
07-07-11, 11:16
I have big palms, but short digits. I have to shift most full-size pistols around to hit the mag catch.

Glock extended the Gen4 button back far enough, but with the contour of the "thumb rest" sticking out, it makes it hard for me to push in on the back of the button.

I look forward to the Gen4 Vickers. You guys can use my design as a template if you like. ;)

Tango Down
07-07-11, 12:17
Thank you. Some handgun shooters must not realize that everyone's hands are not the same size. Just because the Gen 4 mag release is "perfect" for you, and you see no need for improvement, doesn't mean that it's "perfect" for all others.

You nailed it. If you have fingers like an Orangutan, lucky you. The rest of the shooting world may need help.

Moltke
02-09-13, 18:01
Links to buy this product?

Heavy Metal
02-09-13, 18:19
Links to buy this product?

The Vickers part?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VGMR&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dvickers%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

wha-tah-hey
02-10-13, 11:28
I had to change my grip slightly to release the mag in my new G30SF so I ordered an "extended" mag release - turned out to be for narrower frames and is the same length as my stock release.

Growing up with a "make-do" approach to most things, I decided to try working with what I had.
I simply added a couple drops of epoxy to the stock item and it's holding just fine.
Coloring it with a black marker gave a slightly tacky surface, but it could also be stippled/grooved or whatever.

While not everyone cares to do his own "'smithing" and it may not be to everyone's taste, it's quick, easy and effective.
Works for me. :D

Moltke
02-10-13, 12:11
Cool. Thanks. Anyone know if this is USPSA Production legal?

wha-tah-hey
02-10-13, 12:22
Another benefit - didn't even take it out of the frame to mod. :D

beastfrog
02-10-13, 15:34
Cool. Thanks. Anyone know if this is USPSA Production legal?

Not legal for USPSA Production.