PDA

View Full Version : CSTactical.com has received an S&B 1-8x for T&E

dfsutton
07-03-11, 09:54
According to a post on Sniper's Hide by Mike @ CST, they have received a Scbmidt and Bender 1-8x for testing and evaluation.

They currently only have pictures up, but say there will be video to follow.

http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/Blog-Articles/Articles-Optic-Reviews/Sneak-Peak-Schmidt-Bender-1-8x24-PM-Short-Dot.html

VooDoo6Actual
07-03-11, 10:48
thanks for SITREP.
Mike has been good people to me.
Looking forward to his T&E etc.

EzGoingKev
07-03-11, 14:40
I have dealt with Mike in the past and have nothing but good things to say about him.

dfsutton
07-04-11, 19:39
I am just looking to read the reviews of the sample to get a feel for how close to being production ready the scope is.

I am hoping this means that the scope is almost ready for primetime.

krm375
07-09-11, 05:16
There is also a thread on the hide that is a compare and contrast of the Leupold 1-8 and the SB 1-8, both quality optics it seems.

Magic_Salad0892
07-09-11, 18:27
Wow. Holy shit. That thing is way smaller than I thought it would be.

****in' Germans. You gotta love 'em sometimes.

I can't wait to blow the $7200 or so I got saved up to get a couple of these.

...:suicide2: :D

bp7178
07-09-11, 21:57
It looks like it follows the specs from S&Bs German website. The occular end looks pretty beefy.

My only worry is the 9mm exit pupil on 1x...

dfsutton
07-09-11, 23:08
I can't wait to blow the $7200 or so I got saved up to get a couple of these.

...:suicide2: :D

I'm stacking nickels to purchase 1 of these...

I just really want to see the pictures of the reticle with the illumination on and off.

ALCOAR
07-09-11, 23:34

krm375
07-10-11, 01:44
I am still holding out, I have a .308 EMC that needs glass its getting a 1-8 just not sure which one at this time.

I also have a 16 and 18 inch 5.56 that may get some glass.

I read somewhere that a 1-6x24 is on the way from Leupold, so I may compare that to the Swarovski or wait till folks start dumping their 1-4 short dots for the 1-8:)

Magic_Salad0892
07-10-11, 03:20
Magic....how did you come to the notion that this would be the one optic to save $7200 up for? And now that you have, why would you need 3 of these things?

I'm building my ''primary'' and only rifle build 3 times, rule of three. I do it with pistols as well.

Because it seems to do everything I want, and I probably won't buy anymore optics after this. I do not ever plan to sell them. After I complete this project, I'm going to go balls out, and shoot the shit out of my beater gun(s - rifle and pistol).

krm375
07-10-11, 03:45
So you have a Battery of KAC guns and have a Backup to the Backup?
I know the SEAL's say "one is none two is one" seems like a little overkill for triplets.

I'd just take two rifles and two pistols to the range and shoot, the cost of the third KAC, SB scope, and tricked out pistol would pay for a good course, with ammo 3 or 4 times over.

dfsutton
07-10-11, 10:00
Watch this, it should satisfy your want:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxHWCDP2msE&feature=player_embedded
Magic....how did you come to the notion that this would be the one optic to save $7200 up for? And now that you have, why would you need 3 of these things?

I had already seen this video, and unfortunately, it does not satisfy my need for better reticle pictures.

Below is about the best image you get from the video:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5922355950_234947f304_z.jpg

No Offense, but I can't tell much of anything about the reticle from that.

Magic_Salad0892
07-11-11, 03:08
So you have a Battery of KAC guns and have a Backup to the Backup?
I know the SEAL's say "one is none two is one" seems like a little overkill for triplets.

I'd just take two rifles and two pistols to the range and shoot, the cost of the third KAC, SB scope, and tricked out pistol would pay for a good course, with ammo 3 or 4 times over.

Service, Backup, and training gun.

And I want to do it now, while I'm in a situation that doesn't make me worry about money.

I do plan to do the courses, but right now it's easier for me to spend money, than it is to get vacation time from my job. Hopefully that changes.

Because as of right now, I already shoot about 1k rounds a month, and if money gets tight, training becomes more important than gear. Right now, I can afford both.

RAM Engineer
07-11-11, 15:24

What does the Leupold 1-8 have? I can't find the exit pupil specs listed anywhere.

The 1-6 Swarovski is listed as 9.4mm-4mm.

armakraut
07-12-11, 00:24
Looks like S&B is going to offer a superior product at a better price point than the competition.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-11, 02:39
Looks like S&B is going to offer a superior product at a better price point than the competition.

It seems that the scopes are almost two bookends then straight up competitors. The S&B with the daylight dot looks like a winner at 1x, but that reticle on the S&B at higher mags gives me pause- where the heck is it? I'm less than totally impressed with dot at 1x also.

How many of these S&Bs have been made? If LowLight only gets it for a day, I'm thinking maybe one or two? I still want to see real production scopes, and maybe they can fix the reticle.

I was all excited about the S&B. but I'm in a wait and see a production model now.

El Cid
07-12-11, 08:39
Tag for later. Still holding onto my tax return for one of these puppies.

dfsutton
07-12-11, 09:30
How many of these S&Bs have been made? If LowLight only gets it for a day, I'm thinking maybe one or two? I still want to see real production scopes, and maybe they can fix the reticle.

I was all excited about the S&B. but I'm in a wait and see a production model now.

I'm kinda feeling the same way. For ME, $2600 is a ton of money to invest. If I am going to do so, I expect the optic to be damn near perfect. I feel like a slightly thicker reticle would make it easier to see.

Hopefully there will be a slight change before the production version.

bp7178
07-12-11, 11:46
What does the Leupold 1-8 have? I can't find the exit pupil specs listed anywhere.

The 1-6 Swarovski is listed as 9.4mm-4mm.

I think the smaller exit pupil is to be expected of scopes with that much of a low power magnification range.

That being said, the scopes I've used in the 7-9mm range (at 1x) had a very limited eye box. I don't know if there is a direct link between the two, or if there are other factors at play, but it would seem to make sense. The new generation of the Zenith Short Dot LE is 14 something mm at 1x. IIRC, the TR24s are the same.

As to reticle, the S&B in the video looks like it has the Mil-Dot CC, which is pretty thin by design. From the outside looking in, I think the Mil-Dot CC lends itself better for low power (red dot) usage. You can also get the S&B with the standard P3 (Mil-Dot) reticle. This may be better if you are actually looking more for a long range optic with short range capability. As opposed to a short range optic with a long range capability.

lifebreath
07-13-11, 13:14

9mm exit pupil seems pretty small for 1x. The Trijicon TR24 is 17.5mm at 1x and I love it. Of course it only goes to 4x, but I think I'd rather have a big exit pupil at 1x and less upper end magnification. I'd love to try the SB to see.