PDA

View Full Version : That's not the point!

montanadave
07-03-11, 11:44
First off, my condolences to the family of the deceased. A family has lost a loved one in a tragic accident and I do not wish to make light of that fact.

But you can't deny the irony of a guy losing control of his motorcycle and dying of a head injury while participating in a group ride protesting New York state's motorcycle helmet law.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/parish_man_protesting_motorcyc.html

Sensei
07-03-11, 17:28
Helmet and seatbelt laws paint an interesting portrait of America. On one hand, you have self determination and individual liberty. On the other hand, you have the undeniable evidence that this devices save countless lives and taxpayer dollars.

bullseye
07-03-11, 17:52
that is ironic,, and sad. as a long time rider, i know that what you put on , will be what you are wearing if you go down... all the gear, all the time, guys.

Alpha Sierra
07-03-11, 19:59
save taxpayer dollars.
I pay for my own medical care.

I pay even for my own f-ing ambulance ride, as I found out three months ago when a fall from horseback sent me to the ER.

That means no one can tell me what to do based on the cost to society.

Gutshot John
07-03-11, 21:00
I pay for my own medical care.

I pay even for my own f-ing ambulance ride, as I found out three months ago when a fall from horseback sent me to the ER.

That means no one can tell me what to do based on the cost to society.

Actually unless you don't have health insurance it's the insurance that pays for your medical care and your ambulance ride which means that the premiums of other insureds are what pays.

It's called risk pooling. The risk involved with insuring a complete moron engaging in risky behavior is spread out over hundreds or even thousands of non-morons/risk-takers.

A cheap ambulance ride runs about $3K. Most people don't pay that out of pocket.

randyman_ar
07-03-11, 21:17
Helmet and seatbelt laws paint an interesting portrait of America. On one hand, you have self determination and individual liberty. On the other hand, you have the undeniable evidence that this devices save countless lives and taxpayer dollars.

Totally agree. But your second sentence says it all as far as I'm concerned. Where should the line be drawn? I'll lean towards self determination and individual liberty every time.

HES
07-03-11, 21:52
Helmet and seatbelt laws paint an interesting portrait of America. On one hand, you have self determination and individual liberty. On the other hand, you have the undeniable evidence that this devices save countless lives and taxpayer dollars.Totally agree. But your second sentence says it all as far as I'm concerned. Where should the line be drawn? I'll lean towards self determination and individual liberty every time.
Thirded. If I rode I would wear full gear. As it is I wear my seatbelt and have done so since I was 13. However the government needs to leave it up to the individual. If they want to gamble, then let em.

13MPG
07-04-11, 02:21
I’ll 4th it. People should be able to make their own call on this. On the other hand my best friend died because he wanted to look cool and wear a non DOT helmet on a ride one day. When he hit the road that helmet shattered like an egg shell.

GermanSynergy
07-04-11, 04:31
Thirded. If I rode I would wear full gear. As it is I wear my seatbelt and have done so since I was 13. However the government needs to leave it up to the individual. If they want to gamble, then let em.

Totally agree, with the caveat that if someone chooses to not wear safety gear, the taxpayers don't foot the bill for their medical care if they happen to be uninsured.