PDA

View Full Version : red dot moves around changing impact point

JeremiahJohnson
07-03-11, 19:06
With the rifle frozen, I can move my eye to different positions and darn if the dot moves to different impact points.
Is this a feature with all red dot scopes?
If so any minute movement of your head will change point of impact.
This can't be right.
Ideas or thoughts?

Dachs
07-03-11, 19:11
What kind of red dot are you using? Your head position shouldn't impact the point of impact..as long as you have a quality rds.

BooneGA
07-03-11, 19:39
Incorrect. The phenomenon he is refering to is called "paralax" and at close range it WILL change POI. Most quality red dots are parralax "free" at ranges over say 50m, however inside that range head position does matter.

Rick

Crow Hunter
07-03-11, 20:14
With the rifle frozen, I can move my eye to different positions and darn if the dot moves to different impact points.
Is this a feature with all red dot scopes?
If so any minute movement of your head will change point of impact.
This can't be right.
Ideas or thoughts?

BooneGA is correct (as usual).

Lock it down and put the dot on something greater than 50m away, then move your head around. It should not move relative to the target. Now it will look like it is moving to your eye because it will stay "locked" onto the target but will move around on the lense. Keep your eye on the target through the dot and move your head around. If it still moves then, you should contact your manufacturer.

JeremiahJohnson
07-03-11, 20:23
Used to have a Tasco PDP2 which was made in Japan and I don't recall this as a problem at all.

My current one is a BSA and at 400 yards I can move the POI from the front to the back of a pickup truck just by moving my head position. No parallax adjustment on this item. Looks like a great scope for shooting watermellons at 15 feet and thats about it.

Aimpoints are beyond my financial reach.

Suggestions for quality red dot?

Regards, Jon

Failure2Stop
07-03-11, 20:26
Yup. Parallax.
However, inside the parallax distance the shift is insignificant in real use. Still, consistent eye placement/cheek weld will ensure consistent POI.

ETA- just saw what optic you are talking about.
Your assessment of them is spot on.
I would recommend looking for a used quality optic if price is a major issue.

Crow Hunter
07-03-11, 20:37
You will be better off sticking to your irons until you can afford a good RDS. Otherwise you will be constantly fighting your equipment rather than your target.

There really is no comparison to an Aimpoint. Even the best of the lower cost RDS pale in comparison. Particularly in bright light. :lol:

Sorry. Bad one.

Seriously save up, it will be worth it.

BooneGA
07-03-11, 20:44
Use irons with the Paul Howe rear site. They are more than adequate to do ANYTHING 99% of shooters need. Get some training and with any skill at all you will outperform most guys shooting T1s.

Rick

JeremiahJohnson
07-03-11, 20:45
Gentlemen, I thank you for your input and advice.

Aimpoint hunting I shall go. They all look alike to my wife so another in the closet will probably fly.

Safe shooting to you all.

Dachs
07-03-11, 20:58
Incorrect. The phenomenon he is refering to is called "paralax" and at close range it WILL change POI. Most quality red dots are parralax "free" at ranges over say 50m, however inside that range head position does matter.

Rick

Incorrect. I believe he is referring to parallax*.;):p

I guess I should know better than to deal in absolutes on this forum (plus only Siths deal in absolutes), but quality red dot sights are <insert qualifier here> "parallax free". Even at ranges <50m quality rds only suffer from the smallest amount of parallax. With that said, I am sure if you held it upside down at 90 angle then held your head all the way back--you may be able to induce parallax, but if you are shooting 'roughly' like you should then quality RDS like Aimpoint and Eotech will be "parallax free". ***

Let's face it, he's using a BSA. The issue isn't a scientific one.

There is no necessity to keep the eye in any definite position so long as it is near enough to the axis to see the all that is necessary is to centre the on the object and it does not matter if in doing this the be brought to the centre of the field or sides or corners the aiming will be equally good and there is the greatest possible ease and comfort in this operation The being as distant as the object both are seen distinctly without any of that teasing effect due to the muscular effort in trying to focus simultaneously two objects that are at different distances

cetane
07-04-11, 18:35
You guys are right. Just 2 days ago I showed my buddy exactly that with my EoTech. He couldnt understand. I showed him how a scope has such a small "spot" you have to be in to see the whole picture. This is why I returned that cheap sight Mark 10 minutes after I mounted it on my USC.45. Yes the quality Red Dots are very expensive, but well worth it. :cool: