PDA

View Full Version : M&P safety parts

mtdawg169
07-04-11, 08:05
Good morning gents & happy Independence Day! I recently purchased another M&P9 FS from Grant (my 4th from G&R). As many of you know, S&W has recently begun to streamline thier manufacturing processes and are now using a safety compatible sear housing block in some of the guns coming off the line without a safety. These guns have their frames pre-cut for the safety lever and have plugs installed in the frame at the factory. They are essentially ready to have a safety dropped in.

I also recently installed a FSS kit into this gun. I would like to experiment a bit with the gun and try it out with a manual safety. I contacted S&W about purchasing the necessary parts (lever, detent & spring) and they are not available for sale from Smith, nor are they available from Brownells. I also asked if I could send it in for a factory upgrade, offering to pay for the parts and labor for a factory install. I was told that Smith will not install a safety due to "liability reasons". So, I'm SOL trying to go through normal channels to get parts. As a result, I would like to make a plea for help to the good folks here on M4C. If you know of any local armorer or M4C member that has the necessary parts available (lever, detent & spring), please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated!

C4IGrant
07-04-11, 09:19
Good morning gents & happy Independence Day! I recently purchased another M&P9 FS from Grant (my 4th from G&R). As many of you know, S&W has recently begun to streamline thier manufacturing processes and are now using a safety compatible sear housing block in some of the guns coming off the line without a safety. These guns have their frames pre-cut for the safety lever and have plugs installed in the frame at the factory. They are essentially ready to have a safety dropped in.

I also recently installed a FSS kit into this gun. I would like to experiment a bit with the gun and try it out with a manual safety. I contacted S&W about purchasing the necessary parts (lever, detent & spring) and they are not available for sale from Smith, nor are they available from Brownells. I also asked if I could send it in for a factory upgrade, offering to pay for the parts and labor for a factory install. I was told that Smith will not install a safety due to "liability reasons". So, I'm SOL trying to go through normal channels to get parts. As a result, I would like to make a plea for help to the good folks here on M4C. If you know of any local armorer or M4C member that has the necessary parts available (lever, detent & spring), please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated!

So you have the correct sear housing block (the one made for the external safety)? I might have some thumb safeties sitting around (will check).

C4

mtdawg169
07-04-11, 09:25
So you have the correct sear housing block (the one made for the external safety)? I might have some thumb safeties sitting around (will check).

C4

Right. It was one of the FDE range kits with the safety sear block and frame plugs. All I need is the lever and the two internal parts (detent & spring). If I had thought it would be that easy Grant, I would have just sent you a PM! Thanks for checking. ;)

mtdawg169
07-05-11, 23:17
Ok guys, Grant struck out and didn't have anything extra lying around the shop (thanks for checking Grant!) So, I'm back to square one and looking for parts to convert my M&P to a safety model. If anyone has a set that they have taken off of their gun and would like to sell them, please let me know!

MSteele
07-05-11, 23:23
Try Speed Shooter Specialties they seem to have almost every part for M&P's, if you haven't already...