PDA

View Full Version : 78-year Old Doctor on 4th Tour in A-stan

Sensei
07-05-11, 00:24
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/03/eveningnews/main20076580.shtml?tag=cbsnewsTwoColUpperPromoArea

He has to be the oldest guy in theater. The guy first enlisted in 1955 but missed combat until OIF/OEF. It looks like he might be at Camp Phoenix which is a relatively comfortable FOB. It was the only place with an actual American medical doctor when I was there 2 years ago. Otherwise, you had to go to the CSH in Bagram if you wanted a doctor who spoke English (The French ran the hospital at KIA and everything else was PAs around Kabul). I met a O-6 dentist in Iraq in 2007 who had ribbons from Vietnam, DS, Kosovo, OIF, OEF. Damn, I have a hard time convincing my wife to let me finish my 20 and I'm only 36.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-05-11, 13:28
You got to love the old timers. I served with a guy we called doctor death when I was in the Navy he was drafted during Nam and I think he was 70 when I met him and an E5.

Later on in Afghanistan in 04 one of my team leaders was a retired Vetrinarian that had served as an enlisted Marine in 1960s in Nam. Id say he was in his early 70s.

Sensei
07-05-11, 22:03
You got to love the old timers. I served with a guy we called doctor death when I was in the Navy ...

Not speaking about this gentleman specifically, but the quality of the docs can really vary at these FOBs. Some of them are reservists or NG'ers who don't really practice much medicine in their civilian careers. They may be great at family medicine, but struggle with major trauma. It gets really bad when they are lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively healthy soldier population, only to get burned by a contractor or soldier with significant co-morbid illnesses.

On the other hand, the docs at the CSH's (Combat Support Hospital for the non-Army types) are usually at the top of their game and have more trauma experience that most of their civilian counterparts. A good number of these older docs are just looking to give back, and that should be commended.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-05-11, 22:17
Not speaking about this gentleman specifically, but the quality of the docs can really vary at these FOBs. Some of them are reservists or NG'ers who don't really practice much medicine in their civilian careers. They may be great at family medicine, but struggle with major trauma. It gets really bad when they are lulled into a false sense of security by the relatively healthy soldier population, only to get burned by a contractor or soldier with significant co-morbid illnesses.

On the other hand, the docs at the CSH's (Combat Support Hospital for the non-Army types) are usually at the top of their game and have more trauma experience that most of their civilian counterparts. A good number of these older docs are just looking to give back, and that should be commended.

I agree 100% and have to admit alot of luck on my part with the docs and PAs that have been with me.
Almost got burned my self after a stint in South America by a Navy doc who said he didnt think I looked jaundice at all cause he didnt know my normal skin tone( im 6'3" caucasion we arnt supposed to be yellow) Its lucky for me the Senior Corpsman had 10 plus years working as an EMT before he joined up. He heard what the Doc at the clinic said and drove me over for blood test at another clinic.
The next day they called me to the QD there were fire trucks and ambulances all over the peir just for me. Got a first class ride to Portsmith Naval Hospital and an all expence paid stay for 3 weeks with Leptosperosis. Now that guy saved my live my liver had quit on me and my white cell count was over 20k.
Some of them are real ass clowns I get what your saying about the trama. It not that they never learned what to do but they just dont specalize in it for a living.