PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone read the Declaration of Independence for the 4th of July?

Skyyr
07-05-11, 12:37
I did... and I was surprised. I was surprised at how many of the reasons for declaring independence are working their way back into our lives. Have we really become so enslaved to novelty and laziness that we're throwing away what our forefathers fought and died for?

Take a moment to read some of the reasons we declared independence, taken directly from the Declaration of Independence:

He has forbidden his governors to pass laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
- Our country's officials are refusing to enforce the laws that they have on the books while blocking states from creating their own laws to remedy pressing problems: Illegal immigration laws along the border, the Project Gunner scandal, etc.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
- Hughes Amendment, Obamacare to a degree

He has made judges dependent on his will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
- Instead of electing Supreme Court justices based on experience and Constitutionally-based education, our presidents have been nominating judges that support their agenda, effectively creating a runaway court. And don't get me started on the Gunrunner scandal that, after breaking dozens of Federal laws, was used to usher in an anti-2A head of ATF

He has affected to render the military independent of and superior to civil power.
- Google "Project Garden Plot." Review the actual powers of the TSA. Look at how many of our laws are designed to keep equipment and technology (and weapons) away from civilians while keeping thm openly available to the military. Our government is stripping away our rights and putting them under lock and key of federal agencies. And these agencies, while they can be found in violation of rights and sued, are virtually never held directly responsible for any wrong-doing, even when it results in American deaths. Just look at Project Gunrunner...

For imposing taxes on us without our consent.
- Do you all know how many new taxes are in the healthcare bill? It was passed by representatives who DIDN'T READ THE BILL. We have a runaway Congress now going against our consent as a nation.

I can keep writing, but I think you get the point. How much our forefathers must have loved freedom... and how little it appears we do. How much longer will we put up with this blatant disregard for liberty? How much is too much? When is it enough?

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-05-11, 13:42
If written today it would be the "Czar's Blue Ribbon Committee Final Leaked Draft of Interdependance".

montanadave
07-05-11, 14:07
Funny you should mention that, as I had a small booklet with both the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence in my nightstand and read it yesterday afternoon.

Irish
07-05-11, 14:55
We read it yesterday at a friend's 4th of July party. I'll reserve making any further comments about what our founding fathers would do to the current crop of government officials.

jwfuhrman
07-05-11, 15:03
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

I think we all know what needs done.....

Jellybean
07-05-11, 18:45
I can keep writing, but I think you get the point. How much our forefathers must have loved freedom... and how little it appears we do. How much longer will we put up with this blatant disregard for liberty? How much is too much? When is it enough?

When it's to late for anything to be done about it.....

Americans in general, imo are being deceived into a false sense of security and superiority- and are buying into it by the truckload (or should I say, boatload).
It's a sad thought that I may not live and die in a free America, even as much as it's changed now.

I think we all know what needs done.....

Congratulations on receiving your own personalized satellite.:lol:

Irish
07-05-11, 18:49
Time magazine's attack on the meaningless Constitution if you'd like to read it. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2079445,00.html

ucrt
07-05-11, 18:53

The D of I was read to us in Church Sunday Morning. Choir sang a rendition of God Bless America while a member read it to us with a very patriotic slide/video show on the overhead.
It was very good presentation and caught everyone by surprise.

Makes you think....

pilotguyo540
07-05-11, 21:27
I actually read the declaration in its entirety at breakfast yesterday. It was the first time I had read it since my dad made me write it ver batem in high school. God knows we never had to read it in school. I want to thank Jay Cunningham for posting this yesterday.

obucina
07-05-11, 23:38
I didnt, I should have. Ive got a leather bound copy. Although, XM's channel 125 played Mike Church's "Road to Independence" and I was able to catch it on the way to work, during my lunch break and on the way home.

*I think Jefferson is/was one cool dude.