PDA

View Full Version : is this normal from use?

paulb
07-05-11, 12:53
can u guys tell me if this is right or not. to me the hammer is coming in contact with the bolt on one side more than the other side. i am under the impression that when the bolt slides back it resets the hammer but i have examined my friends AR and the rubbing marks is in the middle. mine is off to one side. below is the pic i sent. thank you for any insight.

nimdabew
07-05-11, 13:29
Can you tell if the hammer is installed properly? Pics of FCG?

GTifosi
07-05-11, 13:42
A couple different things that can cause that are:
1) poorly machined hammer face
2) receiver holes not quite true
3) bolt carrier poorly machined
4) upper and lower receiver have a lot of play and its being twisted to the extreme when held for shooting
5) pivot pin worn out
6) receiver pivot pin hole(s) worn out

I don't really see improper FCG assembly causing it unless perhaps one leg of the hammer spring is put in way different than the other.
Though even then I don't believe it would be that radical a twist as the pivot pin would still be holding things in physical alignment.

Not saying its one of the above nor that it couldn't be something completely different, just that those are the more common occurences.

ReaperAZ
07-05-11, 13:45
What brand is your rifle/upper/lower? Factory assembled or by yourself?

GTifosi
07-05-11, 13:49
As long as we're gathering more info:
Where does the mark on the hammer face from the firing pin lay?
Off to one side, or centered?

Guessing the attachment filename is what it is, then a Stag it be.
Still need to know if it was whole, kit, etc. though as asked above.

paulb
07-05-11, 14:15
first off: thanks for the very quick replies. thank you.
i was trying to keep the manufacture's name quiet but i guess i slipped up. i do have to say their customer service is 100%.
i bought the gun whole, NY compliant, about 1 year ago, less than 800 rounds(pmc, federal, rem umc) with about 4 failure to extract. i fixed that with BCM extractor and insert. since then runs great. i did have one problem with a defective part(pic labelled dsc 0118) sent it back and it was GTG. again great cust. svc.
as to the questions GTifosi asked: 1)there is absolutely no play between the upper and lower.
2)pivot pin not worn
3)bolt carrier looks good(visual inspection)
4)cant comment on number 1 and 2 cause i would not know the diff
by the way stag cust service sent me an email today saying that that is normal and i spoke with one of them and he said that the top of the hammer might be off ie not flat and in time it will ground down and become even. but i dont think thats the prob it seems that the hammer is just rubbing more to the left(looking from above and to the left of the firing pin)
what do u guys think?

GTifosi
07-05-11, 14:28
Just to clarify: I meant hammer pivot pin, not reciver pivot pin.

Something in those pix doesn't seem quite right.
It may be a camera angle thing, but in both pix it looks like there is a subtle but distinct lean toward the right in the way the hammer looks between the receiver sides.
As in the topmost portion of the hammer looks to be right of the pivot portion by a couple degrees.

Might just be that shoulder down there playing visual tricks though.

nimdabew
07-05-11, 14:31
I wouldn't worry about it. I wanted pics of the FCG to see if the hammer was off to one side and was causing only part of the hammer face to be hitting the firing pin, but it looks like it is hitting dead center of the hammer face. As long as the gun goes bang when you shoot it, I wouldn't worry about cosmetic stuff like this.

ReaperAZ
07-05-11, 15:25
Just to clarify: I meant hammer pivot pin, not reciver pivot pin.

Something in those pix doesn't seem quite right.
It may be a camera angle thing, but in both pix it looks like there is a subtle but distinct lean toward the right in the way the hammer looks between the receiver sides.
As in the topmost portion of the hammer looks to be right of the pivot portion by a couple degrees.

Might just be that shoulder down there playing visual tricks though.

It does seem to have a bit of tilt to it. There seems to be a wear mark on the top right(mag release side)corner of the hammer though. Which would match the wear on the bolt carrier.