PDA

View Full Version : DDM vs. Sig 516

Jack Burton
07-05-11, 16:00
So here is an update on the two rifles for those who might be interested.

I picked up a Sig 516 about 3 months ago and put about 1500rds through it before taking the rifle to the Vickers carbine class in NC. I took some heat from some of the direct gas loyalists but oh well. Anyhow, rifle was NOT cleaned prior to the 3 day course and it shot well without a single malfunction. I brought my DDMv3 as a back up but never had to use it.

Both rifles feel great but the DDM is more ballanced. The added weight in the 516 is a little bit less than 1lb, but does feel heavier than that because of the weight in the front.

I put another 500 rounds through both rifles and took them both apart. I have NEVER had any issues with my DDM and it has always shot great with total reliability. I also clean and oil it very often. Now, taking apart the 516 for the first time, it was MUCH cleaner with thousands of rounds through it than the DDM with about 500rds. Although I have no issues with my DDM, looking at the bolt, etc, I can see where the gp system would benefit. I love both rifles but thats just my 2 from taking both apart.

Littlelebowski
07-05-11, 16:48
Hey man, it's Bax.

Thought about how much less the DD costs and how much easier it is to get parts?

Jack Burton
07-05-11, 17:39
Hey man, it's Bax.

Thought about how much less the DD costs and how much easier it is to get parts?

Yo yo. Thanks again for the rail guards :) Actually I have never had issues getting any parts for the Sigs. Dont get me wrong, I love the DDM. As far as cost goes, it was only $200ish more than the DDM4. I love both rifles and Im just letting people know from an unbiased point of view. A lot of people dog certain guns but dont own them. Its always a "heard it from someone" or "read it on the forums" type of bs. I have 3 glocks (which all of you were shooting w/ the exception of one XD and one 92fs). No issues with my 226 that week. I actually taught two more classes without cleaning :) I just cleaned that gun today. Both my glocks and my sigs have been reliable with the exception of a few hickups in the G17 and G19 but its not enough for me to disown them. I just prefer not having to change any spring or send a gun back to the manufacturer to make it more reliable. On the side note, when are you heading out this way?

Jack Burton
07-05-11, 17:41
I take that back about the price difference. I got my 516 a while ago so the price was higher. Its come down some now. I see them for around $1200ish now. I paid $1299 for my DDM4

ra2bach
07-06-11, 09:25
So here is an update on the two rifles for those who might be interested.

I picked up a Sig 516 about 3 months ago and put about 1500rds through it before taking the rifle to the Vickers carbine class in NC. I took some heat from some of the direct gas loyalists but oh well. Anyhow, rifle was NOT cleaned prior to the 3 day course and it shot well without a single malfunction. I brought my DDMv3 as a back up but never had to use it.

Both rifles feel great but the DDM is more ballanced. The added weight in the 516 is a little bit less than 1lb, but does feel heavier than that because of the weight in the front.

I put another 500 rounds through both rifles and took them both apart. I have NEVER had any issues with my DDM and it has always shot great with total reliability. I also clean and oil it very often. Now, taking apart the 516 for the first time, it was MUCH cleaner with thousands of rounds through it than the DDM with about 500rds. Although I have no issues with my DDM, looking at the bolt, etc, I can see where the gp system would benefit. I love both rifles but thats just my 2 from taking both apart.

you know what I always say, "it's all in the reflexes"...

Jack Burton
07-06-11, 16:04
you know what I always say, "it's all in the reflexes"...

Haha yeah.."what the hell?"...right?