PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Convince The Wife Your Not Crazy

whiteknuckels
07-05-11, 18:03
1st off im new to the forum, with recently picking up an M4, and i like forums, sooo i was checking this one out and came across this section, man i thought i was the only person that felt the need to "hord"

Anyhooo...

Like the title says...how do you convince the wife that its all for a good cause...i tell her, just think of the people that think im goofy,...they wont know what hit'um...and when/if the time comes, that all the thought and perp potentially pays off...i assure her im doing these things to protect her and our children...she seems that its a good idea but on a side note she gives me a "look"......we are still young though, so i would think people my age around here would think...well im not real sure what they would think, besides i havnt told a sole, even close family that im "hording"....ok

QuietShootr
07-05-11, 18:09
A great way to convince people you aren't nuts is to use proper English spelling, grammar, and capitalization.

Grizzly16
07-05-11, 18:11
Search for the disaster / shtf movie thread. Add all those movies and shows to your netflix queue and begin watching them with her. After 2 movies and half a season of "Survivors" she asked what would we do in that situation. So began the prepping :)

whiteknuckels
07-05-11, 18:18
A great way to convince people you aren't nuts is to use proper English spelling, grammar, and capitalization.

thanks for the great info...ill try to remember that while you are bleesing me with your perfectness...

i got my point across so why give me shit?

if you cant understand then just move on, esay as that

thats just the way i wanted to be welcomed to the site...maybe ill second guess being apart of it..:suicide2:

07-05-11, 18:29
Going to need some thicker skin for this site. Take it as tough love.;)

snake eater 332
07-05-11, 18:42
'How to convince the wife you're not crazy'...first, start by taking the lightbulb out of your ass...then loosen the screws on the tinfoil helmet...and, finally, drive through a getto really slow and tell her that you hope the car doesn't break down because you left your (insert favorite firearm) at home! ;)

BCmJUnKie
07-05-11, 18:45
:lol: Whos bringin the popcorn

scruff
07-05-11, 19:11
You can't convince a woman she is wrong.

Black Jeep
07-05-11, 19:53
I kinda like her thinking I'm crazy so she leaves me alone.

bulbvivid
07-05-11, 19:59
thanks for the great info...ill try to remember that while you are bleesing me with your perfectness...

i got my point across so why give me shit?

if you cant understand then just move on, esay as that

thats just the way i wanted to be welcomed to the site...maybe ill second guess being apart of it..:suicide2:

Welcome to the site, OP.

QuietShootr is correct. You need to have a thick skin here. You could have easily responded by recognizing the deficiency in your communication and apologized instead of getting defensive. It's not a good way to start. You should read this: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: an M4C Style Guide (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019), particularly this section:
Mechanics and Style.
The Good: Proper grammar and syntax count, and the more professionally you represent yourself in writing, the better the impression that you will make upon your fellow members. We recognize that not every member has the same ability to express himself (or herself) in writing, and if you happen to fall short while doing the best you can, all will be forgiven.
The Bad: The larger internet culture seems to embrace a much looser style of communication that dispenses with proper capitalization, punctuation or other fundamentals, and is more liberal in the use of crass language. This is not the place for such shorthand, nor is anyone here going to be impressed by your profanity.
The Ugly: Younger members, in particular, seem to struggle with this. In the interest of perfect clarity, here's the bottom line: we expect every member to be as professional as possible, and if you have the tools in your toolbox to do it right, please use them.

Since you are new to the site, I would suggest reading as many of the stickies as you can, there's a lot of good info there.

As far as convincing the wife goes, point to the many recent natural disasters here in America and abroad. If she needs more reason than that, just take up preparation as a hobby and tell her it's just what you like to do. If all you're getting is a "look," I don't see what the problem is. That's just what wives do.

snake eater 332
07-05-11, 20:00

...because they're all crazy :)

duece71
07-05-11, 20:10
I kinda like her thinking I'm crazy so she leaves me alone.

I like this idea........I like to fart a lot and that also helps with her leaving me alone. :lol:

Grizzly16
07-05-11, 21:23
I like this idea........I like to fart a lot and that also helps with her leaving me alone. :lol:

I usually stick with wearing black dress socks, ragged shorts and my favorite sandals when we go shopping. About 1 out of 100 times she lets me do it :suicide2:

PA PATRIOT
07-06-11, 01:34
If she can't see how the country/world is spiraling down the crapper then maybe she is the crazy one. Rose colored glasses work up until the SHTF and then the unprepared cry and scream thinking someone should bail them out because they blew it out their rear thinking it could not happen to them.

Do what you feel is right and try to help open her eyes by making her aware of the world around her.

misanthropist
07-06-11, 03:06
Convincing women is easy, just go slow and take an approach to which they can relate.

Stage 1) "man, another hurricane...just look at those poor bastards. Sure hope nobody gets hurt. Particularly kids...I always worry about the kids."

Stage 2) "God, more hurricanes down in the gulf. Man, they sure have great beaches but I'm starting to be glad we live on the coast/in the mountains/in Ohio/in NYC".

Stage 3) "You know, we don't get hurricanes...but if we ever get hit with a major earthquake/tornado/ice storm/riot, what would we do about the kids/your sister/your mother?

Stage 4) "I've been thinking about earthquakes/riots/avalanches/realistic threats of some kind which do not require any particular political allegiance to believe in and just in case, I picked up a couple of days' worth of supplies, just to last us in case we ever have to wait for the red cross or whatever. As long as the kids/your retarded cousin/your dog is fine, that's the main thing."

Stage 5) "I picked up a couple of extra things because they were on sale...check this out, your favourite soup. I figured we could have some tonight, and keep some with the other earthquake/forest fire/major snowfall stuff."

Stage 6) "You know, we're pretty well set up. I know everybody we know on this block is cool, but I was thinking about that new guy. He's probably fine, I guess. But you know how I have a couple of guns...I was just thinking about how if it were me, I'd want the supplies. Anyway I'm just thinking I should make sure we're stocked up on ammo. Just to make sure that, you know, if things somehow go ****ed or whatever, you and the kids are 100% taken care of."

Start by thinking about what will appeal to them about survival. Women worry about their kids and their families. Don't seem crazy, seem 10% more protective than an average guy.

That should work, because frankly you shouldn't BE crazy. You should just BE a little more protective than the average guy. That's what survival is about. My wife never thinks of me as crazy, because I don't come off crazy. I come off as rational and relaxed, but with an unshakable drive to make sure she's safe. She loves it because she feels well protected.

Stuff like this is all in the delivery IMO.

docsherm
07-06-11, 04:15
Just talk to her about all of the stuff that is going on in the world and get her involved in the process. Try out different foods that you want to stock up on. Make sure that she likes them.

It is just like paying car insurance.....you pay it ever month but hope that you never need to file a claim.

whiteknuckels
07-06-11, 04:47
ok, thanks alot guys...and i want to start off by saying i was alittle off base jumping on the fella about my typing/spelling...ect..i have to blame that one on my W.V. wife...LOL i guess trying to keep up with her english, spelling, grammer ect.. only hurt me..HAHA, no honeslty, ive never been good at all that jazz, and im sorry you all, and anyone on any other forum has to deal with it...

also i have read alot of info on here befor i even joined the site, i thought it had lots of stright people and info so i joined...

but i did join the site to seriously help myself learn and prep, for the uncertain future...

snake eater 332
07-06-11, 05:31
also i have read alot of info on here befor i even joined the site, i thought it had lots of stright people and info so i joined...

but i did join the site to seriously help myself learn and prep, for the uncertain future...

Welcome whiteknuckels, you've come to the right place. This is the most professional and informative site on the web and you'll find a wealth of info here from some really experienced and knowledgeable people. Thick skin would be a good tool to have in your toolbox at times, though.

serbonze
07-06-11, 05:57
I absolutely agree with misanthropist, and that type of thinking is what worked with my wife. We live in Tampa, do hurricane preparation is a way if life.

I started out with just the basic supplies as provided in list form from the local papers. I then moved on to a bug out bag for each of us, then additional supplies around the house, and we just recently agreed to stock up with a months worth of food.

It's not going to happen overnight, or even as quickly as you want it to. I had to show her the ultimate benefit of being prepared before she really understood. Pointing out and discussing the problems in other areas of the country, and the world, has not been difficult over the last year with so many natural disasters. The key is letting her make the decision to move forward.

K.L. Davis
07-06-11, 09:30
When it comes to stocking up on food, it is pretty simple...

"No one has figured out how to live without it"

Kudos to the forum for getting this thread back on track without intervention.

whiteknuckels
07-06-11, 14:49
now dont get me to wrong, as my wife is understanding, and has even bought stuff without asking or me telling....i guess its more when we talk about it that she seems weired out, then again i guess the thought of having to use the stuff may get to her...not sure

hatidua
07-06-11, 16:06
How do you convince the wife your not crazy

Well, I suspect that different people achieve this by different means but here's what I've done and I've been married (happily) for 20 years now:

A) I stopped trying to convince my wife of anything about 10 minutes after the preacher was done talking at the wedding. She has a PhD, several MA's, and it would be impossible to convince her of anything anyhow thus no need to expend worthless effort.

B) Over the past two decades, we've had to evacuate due to wildfires, hurricanes/typhoons, civil unrest (overseas), Etc. - one good evacuation from an event that may completely erase your domicile usually cures most doubters.

C) The current state of the economy makes 'stocking up' really easy to justify: when an item you normally use goes on sale, buying more than is needed just for the coming week only makes sense.

D) Worry less about the perceptions of others. Individualism has become a trait bred out of the gene pool due to political correctness - there's no harm in reintroducing it. So people apparently think you are crazy......and?

a1fabweld
07-06-11, 17:01
When I first started prepping my wife thought I was crazy too. I did it anyway as I feel it is my obligation as a father to do so. I hid most of it from her in the begining to avoid drama. One day she was busting my balls about it & I asked her if she was prepared to feed, shelter, & protect our kids in the event something happened right now. There was a long silence following. I think the recent quake in Japan was a real eye opener for her. She now preps with me.

Check this thread for some good ideas also: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82424

SuperiorDG
07-06-11, 17:38
My wife found a receipt from Costco back in November for some food supplies I bought. I don't talk to her because I know how she thinks, but we have two little ones and I thought it was too important. She told me I was F%&ing crazy and now we are going through a divorce. Sure it wasn't the first straw (that was the guns) but it helped.

Just be careful how you go about it.

QuietShootr
07-06-11, 17:41
My wife found a receipt from Costco back in November for some food supplies I bought. I don't talk to her because I know how she thinks, but we have two little ones and I thought it was too important. She told me I was F%&ing crazy and now we are going through a divorce. Sure it wasn't the first straw (that was the guns) but it helped.

Sorry, bro, but you're better off.

a1fabweld
07-06-11, 17:54

If prepping was a factor in her wanting a divorce, she sounds pretty shallow. What, does she think Obama will save her if something happens? I feel bad for your kids. Good luck man.

Fat Russian
07-06-11, 18:15
If your wife is a reader, have her read Lights Out, mine just finished it a week ago and I was shocked to find she had doubled up on my grocery list the last time I went to the store. She was allready onboard with the prepping before that, she has a couple different gardens going right now trying to figure out what the AZ sun won't kill and she even bought us BOB's last week. I wish you luck, women can be stubborn creatures.

FR

SuperiorDG
07-06-11, 18:28
The divorce thing is something I don't like to talk about, but I can say I'm a lot happier now and less stressed out. I still continue to prepare, not just for me but for the kids as well. After reading "One Second After" and seeing what happened after Karena the last thing I want to see is my kids starve to death. I understand this and what is important.

PS: She vetoed for him so I guess he will pay her back when she needs it. :jester:

GermanSynergy
07-06-11, 23:29

Wow.... sorry to hear, bro. So buying extra food and having the means to defend your loved ones is "crazy"?

I know it sounds cliche as hell, but you are better off.

Moose-Knuckle
07-07-11, 04:50
Whiteknuckles, welcome to M4C!

SuperiorDG, my ex-wife sounds just like your soon to be one. Let me be the first to congradulate you as things DO get better. I'm about to marry for the second time to an amazing woman who is actually thankful for my lifestyle as it gives her peace of mind.

duece71
07-07-11, 06:13

Gosh, sorry to hear about that, divorce is tough on the adults, even worse for the kids. Be strong for them, be confident for them and they will love you even more. I have told my wifey about the "stash" for just in case. She laughs about it but she did ask where it is. She bemoans a little about "rotting" food in the basement...:rolleyes: I told her its ALL canned goods and when the date on the bottom gets near, I'll eat it and replace it next time at the store. I happily encourage her when she plants a garden, at least she is making an effort to understand how to grow food.
Now, on the guns and ammo front, I am on my own. She is a libertard anti gunner and thinks that having guns makes people want to kill. I am not going to waste my time with arguing about totally irrational thoughts and behavior. I explain that it is my hobby and something that I enjoy and it is left at that. I travel a lot for work and she simply refuses to arm herself for what may go "bump" in the night. She is worried about rape or worse and won't arm herself. Very strange behavior IMO. We have kids and yet still will not arm herself. Sometimes you just can't reason. Sorry for the long post, Good luck Superior DG and be strong for your kids.

QuietShootr
07-07-11, 06:45
Gosh, sorry to hear about that, divorce is tough on the adults, even worse for the kids. Be strong for them, be confident for them and they will love you even more. I have told my wifey about the "stash" for just in case. She laughs about it but she did ask where it is. She bemoans a little about "rotting" food in the basement...:rolleyes: I told her its ALL canned goods and when the date on the bottom gets near, I'll eat it and replace it next time at the store. I happily encourage her when she plants a garden, at least she is making an effort to understand how to grow food.
Now, on the guns and ammo front, I am on my own. She is a libertard anti gunner and thinks that having guns makes people want to kill. I am not going to waste my time with arguing about totally irrational thoughts and behavior. I explain that it is my hobby and something that I enjoy and it is left at that. I travel a lot for work and she simply refuses to arm herself for what may go "bump" in the night. She is worried about rape or worse and won't arm herself. Very strange behavior IMO. We have kids and yet still will not arm herself. Sometimes you just can't reason. Sorry for the long post, Good luck Superior DG and be strong for your kids.

Holy hell. How did you marry someone like that?

Dave L.
07-07-11, 08:31
Whiteknuckles, welcome to M4C!

SuperiorDG, my ex-wife sounds just like your soon to be one. Let me be the first to congradulate you as things DO get better. I'm about to marry for the second time to an amazing woman who is actually thankful for my lifestyle as it gives her peace of mind.

Yup, I'm on #2... she is going to pick up a Glock 26 (her first gun) today or tomorrow.
However, I found out last week she ate two cases of canned green beans (from our food stash) over the last month. I promptly made her go to Costco and replace them.

50% of the time, wife #1 is just a warm up... and I heard 3rd time is the charm ;)

Atchcraft
07-07-11, 10:43
I'm still having a hard time shaking the visual I got with, "... pull the lightbulb out of your ass..."

To the OP: this might help a little as well https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82424

MaceWindu
07-07-11, 13:38
> > Women's Grasp of English

> > Yes = No
> > No = Yes
> > Maybe = No
> > We need = I want
> > Do what you want = You'll pay for this later
> > We need to talk = I need to complain
> > Sure, go ahead = I don't want you to
> > I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset, you moron!
> > You're .....so manly = You need a shave and a deodorant
> > Be romantic, turn out the lights = I have flabby thighs
> > This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house
> > I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep
> > Do you love me? = I am going to ask for something expensive
> > How much do you love me? = I did something today you are really not going
> > to like
> > I'll be ready in a minute = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on TV
> > Is my Butt fat? = Tell me I'm beautiful
> > You have to learn to communicate = Just agree with me
> > Are you listening to me? = Too late, you're dead
> > Was that the baby? = Get out of bed and walk him until he goes to sleep
> > I'm not yelling = Yes, I am yelling, because I think this is important

> > Men's Grasp of English

> > I'm hungry = I'm hungry
> > I'm sleepy = I'm sleepy
> > I'm tired = I'm tired
> > Do you want to go to a movie? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
> > Can I take you out to dinner? = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
> > May I have this dance = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
> > Nice dress! = Nice Body!
> > You look tense; Let me give you a massage = I want to fondle you
> > What's wrong? = I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of
> > this?
> > What's wrong? = What meaningless self-inflicted trauma are you going
> > through now?
> > What's wrong? = I guess sex is out of the question tonight
> > I love you = Let's have sex now
> > I love you, too = Okay, I said it.....we'd better have sex now!
> > Let's talk = I am trying to impress you by showing that I am a deep and
> > caring person and maybe then you'd like to have sex with me.
> > Will you marry me? = I want to make it illegal for you to have sex with
> > other guys
> > (While shopping) I like that one better = pick any freaking' dress and let's go home

:blink:

Mace

Pog926
07-07-11, 18:06
My first AR was already bought when I told the wife I wanted an AR. This was during the beltway sniper attacks. I told her I wanted one before there wasma government push to ban them. She said we didn't need one and I responded it was not a matter on need but want. She insisted that we didn't need one and I again replied that I had the means and desire to get one. Again she said we didn't need one, where I immediately responded I didn't need to get married, I wanted to get married. Needless to say I have quite a few and built her a Wifle of her own. With the track that the country is on and what happened in the aftermath of Katrina my wife totally understands why I do the thing I do. Especially now that we have kids.

hatidua
07-08-11, 13:09
Anyone that looks at the news, and isn't concerned about the future, is the type to be worried about.

Grizzly16
07-08-11, 14:19
Working into it gradually may help as well. I started buying extra cans of things we eat anyways and slowly stock piling stuff. Once she got used to that we over 6 months built up a nice little stock pile. All that she was used to and ok with. So when I wanted to buy frozen 25 year shelf life food it wasn't a huge jump. It was a wise decision to increase the amount of time our pantry could hold out and increase variety over just canned stuff.

Iraqgunz
07-08-11, 14:35
Go to Youtube and show your wife videos of the LA riots and other shit that has happened. Ask her if she wants to end up on the losing end of a shitty situation.

Although California is at the extreme end of the spectrum remind her that during those times of crisis stupid shit happens. No sales of firearms and ammunition. Stupid waiting periods, etc....

Having food and water on hand as well as extra ammo and weapons to keep it is very smart. If you can afford to do it, by all means do so.

As for the spelling and grammar thing. When we see poorly composed sentences, crappy grammar and punctuation. It sets off little alarm bells in peoples minds.

4x4twenty6
07-14-11, 22:54
Hopefully I can move far enough away before anything happens that most of the idiots kill each other off before they make it to where I am located.

As far as convincing your wife, there have been some solid suggestions. Me and my wife are from st. Bernard parish LA, south of new Orleans. Whenever I bring things up about preparation she fires back with, I don't wanna talk about it cuz it scares me.
My chest tightens and I wanna choke her, so I'll drop it. but every now and then I will tell her about work(I'm a LEO) and current events and she gets the hints...I think.

scruff
07-15-11, 17:36
What scares me is that when the SHTF we are the only people that will be left to hang out with.:D

uwe1
07-16-11, 00:03
I am fortunate that my wife doesn't think I'm "too" crazy. She helps purchase extra supplies (water, food, batteries). Recently, she went to the notary for us to do the end-user affidavit to purchase plates from SKD. According to her, the effeminate male banker was very uncomfortable notarizing an affidavit for body armor purchase, by a 5'2" 105# hot-looking female.

Back during the 2009 ammo shortages, she used to go with me to Walmart (6 box limit) to double up on ammo purchases.

She just doesn't like the amount of time I spend reading on this site. Or when I go over my yearly gun related budget. :lol:

Just a Jarhead
07-16-11, 05:10
I According to her, the effeminate male banker was very uncomfortable notarizing an affidavit for body armor purchase, by a 5'2" 105# hot-looking female.

Funny!

Clarkm
07-16-11, 06:56
+
Most women have a strong normalcy bias, meaning that they think things will aways stay within the historical normal range.

scruff
07-16-11, 20:23
My wife kinda thinks the same way I do about being prepared. But she thinks I go a little overboard with stocking up on ammo and such. But she has recently started to want to shoot my glock. So I kind of use that as an excuse to keep buying ammo for it. Her sister on the other hand thinks I'm nuts and that if there were no guns that everyone could sleep with thier doors unlocked and the world would be full of peace love.:lol:

QuietShootr
07-16-11, 22:09
I am fortunate that my wife doesn't think I'm "too" crazy. She helps purchase extra supplies (water, food, batteries). Recently, she went to the notary for us to do the end-user affidavit to purchase plates from SKD. According to her, the effeminate male banker was very uncomfortable notarizing an affidavit for body armor purchase, by a 5'2" 105# hot-looking female.

Back during the 2009 ammo shortages, she used to go with me to Walmart (6 box limit) to double up on ammo purchases.

She just doesn't like the amount of time I spend reading on this site. Or when I go over my yearly gun related budget. :lol:

Lies, sir, lies....or as they say over in that other place, this post is worthless without pics.

uwe1
07-17-11, 01:58
Lies, sir, lies....or as they say over in that other place, this post is worthless without pics.

I did say "According to her", didn't I? ;)

As much as I would like to substantiate the claims made in the previous post with hard evidence, I must refrain from putting the family on a public forum.

uwe1
07-17-11, 02:59
Her sister on the other hand thinks I'm nuts and that if there were no guns that everyone could sleep with thier doors unlocked and the world would be full of peace love.:lol:

It's always funny if you point out that before guns there were swords, spears, and knives. Before that there were clubs and other bludgeoning weapons. Before that people just bashed each others heads in with rocks. You don't see the lions, hyenas, and wildebeests singing kumbayah on the African savannah because they don't have any weapons....except for teeth and claws.

So....Let's ban teeth so no one can bite each other. Ban dicks so no one can commit rape...:blink:

Frakn Libs.

QuietShootr
07-17-11, 09:21
I did say "According to her", didn't I? ;)

As much as I would like to substantiate the claims made in the previous post with hard evidence, I must refrain from putting the family on a public forum.

A wise choice of course; but I was obliged to ask, you understand.

Atchcraft
07-17-11, 10:59
My wife kinda thinks the same way I do about being prepared. But she thinks I go a little overboard with stocking up on ammo and such. But she has recently started to want to shoot my glock. So I kind of use that as an excuse to keep buying ammo for it. Her sister on the other hand thinks I'm nuts and that if there were no guns that everyone could sleep with thier doors unlocked and the world would be full of peace love.:lol:

The next step is to buy her something like this http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765717_-1_757752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y . It kills many birds with one stone: 1) You bought her something that shows you're thinking of her safety... "and it's pink!" 2) It supprots a damn good cause. 3) It also comes with (3) black back-straps and no one will even notice the ribbon on the slide. 4) What better way to say I love you, than with the gift of a 9mm? Now all that $ you spend on ammo is for her too. I'm telling you, it's a win-win!

uwe1
07-17-11, 11:19
A wise choice of course; but I was obliged to ask, you understand.

I understand completely, sir. Asking for pics was fully justified. :p

Country DeVil
07-17-11, 16:04
I am lucky because my wife's father was a LEO for a while and moved up and on. when she was younger he was always prepared with guns and food so she likes having all the food and fun stuff around.

If you need to have a reason for the guns start 3 gun, then any stuff you buy and train for is for 3 gun and its a blast, HA blast.

Also if you don't want to hear her complain, stay out of the kitchen.

docsherm
07-21-11, 19:20
My wife and I were talking about this and this is what she has to say to the OP:

"1. Chicks dig shoes. For every day she spends at the range, she gets a new pair of shoes.

2. Chicks dig accessories. Guns require accessories like scopes, ammo, and storage.

3. Did I mention that chicks dig shoes? Take her shopping for outdoor footwear. Quality time with the spouse plus hanging out at your favorite gear store equals getting laid and getting to expose her to all of your favorite accessories and their uses.

4. Let her build her own gun. She feels more in control of the weapon and gets familiar with it at the same time.

5. Join the NRA. Chicks dig Ted Nugent.

6. When all else fails, get rid of your chick, and find a girl from Texas. Anyone who thinks that having a decent stockpile is a bad idea is zombie fodder, and should be removed ASAP."

This was NO SH!@ my wife entering the above information. I hope it helps. Let me know if you need me to ask her for some more pearls of wisdom. :smile:

Moose-Knuckle
07-21-11, 19:59
6. When all else fails, get rid of your chick, and find a girl from Texas. Anyone who thinks that having a decent stockpile is a bad idea is zombie fodder, and should be removed ASAP."

I can attest to this. . . ;)

The_War_Wagon
07-21-11, 20:30
Like the title says...how do you convince the wife that its all for a good cause...

So you HAVE kids? Or are GOING to have kids?

EITHER way, get either a BIG Stack-On Cabinet at a minimum, or a safe (she'll love this, because you're making it safer... 'for the children'... :o ). Get whatever the hell you want and can afford, keep it locked up, sneak in whatever you have to, and NEVER let her see your "stash."

Should the S ever HTF around here, my wife's NOT going to ask where my six AR's & 12k of ammo came from - she's only going to ask, "Do you have any MORE?" :cool:

scruff
07-21-11, 20:37
So you HAVE kids? Or are GOING to have kids?

EITHER way, get either a BIG Stack-On Cabinet at a minimum, or a safe (she'll love this, because you're making it safer... 'for the children'... :o ). Get whatever the hell you want and can afford, keep it locked up, sneak in whatever you have to, and NEVER let her see your "stash."

Should the S ever HTF around here, my wife's NOT going to ask where my six AR's & 12k of ammo came from - she's only going to ask, "Do you have any MORE?" :cool:

Amen to that!!

Dave L.
07-22-11, 05:36
I realized the other day that the only problem my wife has with being prepared is how much space is needed for storage.
Every time I give her a list of extra items to pick up at the store her reply is "where are we going to keep all this shit".

We currently live in an apartment so we are limited on space. We do have a garage but I believe it gets to hot in the summer for proper storage.

docsherm
07-22-11, 06:34
I realized the other day that the only problem my wife has with being prepared is how much space is needed for storage.
Every time I give her a list of extra items to pick up at the store her reply is "where are we going to keep all this shit".

We currently live in an apartment so we are limited on space. We do have a garage but I believe it gets to hot in the summer for proper storage.

Before my wife and I got our house we lived in an apartment. We had a storage shed near by for a lot of stuff (mostly my "green" stuff as she called it). We would store stuff there and then eventuality moved it into our house.

asianhulk
07-22-11, 06:41
Maybe we are all a little crazy? :lol: I haven't figured this out yet.

uwe1
07-22-11, 09:52

My wife complained about this as well. All I'll say is that it might be good to designate one closet for your prep stuff...unless you only have one bedroom in which case that's going to be tough.

I won't store anything in the garage because it gets damn hot during the summers out here.

Fat Russian
07-22-11, 11:01
In the same boat here as far as storing stuff in the garage, my preps have long outgrown my spare room, and storing in a shed or garage in the Tucson heat just isn't going to happen. Most of my ffod preps are stored in a spare bedroom while the ammo and gun stuff is stored in a large green pile of ammo cans in a corner of my bedroom. Fortunately my wife is fully onboard with the preps and maybe even a little more into it than I am since she does the food shopping and is also a "couponer" and enjoys finding good deals on the stuff we store.

Just a Jarhead
07-23-11, 07:23
There's a pretty good site I found out about a year ago or so that I have found useful, despite the title, that some of your wives may enjoy. Lot's of info including for beginning preppers.

www.thesurvivalmom.com

drrufo
12-01-12, 15:08
My wife is talking about "her" earthquake bag. I dont have to convince her, I just have to make sure she doesn't spend more money or have more gear than I do.....

Zeeb44
12-01-12, 17:40
Watch doomsday preppers, walking dead, and 28 days later with her lmao that's what did it for my wife.

Moose-Knuckle
12-01-12, 19:14
Watch doomsday preppers, walking dead, and 28 days later with her lmao that's what did it for my wife.

Or better yet,

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84164

Have her start with The Road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY).

danattyfatty
12-07-12, 11:21
My fiance just straight out told me that the idea alone of preparing (for anything) appeals to her. I guess it also doesn't hurt that hoarding tendencies run in her family :lol:, I just have to direct the hoarding away from useless sh*t

mikelowrey
12-07-12, 15:11
My wife gave me that "weird" look when I told her about getting a few stuff "just in case" and avoided me, after Sandy came and demolished everything and she noticed how people were, she came to me and said "I been thinking and I think we should get a few supplies in the event of of another hurricane" and then it was my turn to give her the "weird" look :D

Vic303
12-07-12, 19:11
For those whose wives "get it" in regards to prepping, feel free to suggest the following site to them if they want a women's prepping site to check out.
www.mrssurvival.com

It's a great site, with a ton of useful info. It is mostly women, tho' men are allowed. :D

SBR
12-07-12, 22:47
My wife and I are very close and are of the same mind about the world and where things are headed. I'm very grateful for that. We are quietly prepping and have been for two years now.

HaydukeOR
12-08-12, 22:05
Hell boys, my wife convinced me. I was a simple, model citizen with some environmental concerns before she came along. Our discussions and honesty about possible future hard times have driven us to move into the Cascade Mountains and live a nearly off grid basis. At any point when I questioned my changing paradigm she has reinforced the move. When I think about trading on another gun, she tells me just to save a little longer and get the new one while keeping the old one. I don't know how I ever got so luck. :thank_you2:

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-09-12, 01:39
Have you ever looked at the DHS suggested home kit you should have ready?

http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

Just expand that a little bit and you are a long way to getting your wife off the X and into getting prepared.

rickwinger
01-06-13, 21:12
The thread has been an interesting read. Where I live we have tornadoes. In fact, we casually refer to our area of the south as "tornado ally."

On April 15, 2011 a strong funnel went directly over my home and backed the screws out of the metal fixtures on the roof vents without turning a shingle. It was bizarre.

Then on April 27, 2011 the monster storms when through Alabama and our town was hard hit. My mother's home was destroyed, along with nearly 6,000 other structures. (She was with us in our basement and was uninjured.)

My point in all that is that for me, selling preparedness was simple because of the reality of the threat.

So what is the most likely threat where you live? The answer to that becomes your entry point, and perhaps the tipping point, for doing what needs to be done.

With regard to the OP's question about convincing the wife, I've reached the conclusion that sometimes in life, a man just has to do what he knows is right and let the devil, his critics, and occasionally the wife, take the hindmost.

Be careful about taking that advice. I used to be a marriage counselor and after a while sensed the need for a career change...

Pinmonkey05
03-21-13, 21:25
While I'm still fairly new at prepping.
I just told my now wife at the time that it is just like buying car insurance for a wreck that may never happen. She's been on board ever since.

whiskey lake
03-25-13, 10:50
I agree with the person who said to make it relate to her. I would not consider myself a "prepper" but my wife is totally on board with being able to weather any storm or plausible catastrophe. She appreciates that I am taking care of her and the kids.

Where you dont want to get is to be like my grandmother. She hoarded food for years, convinced that calamity and famine were around the corner. When she died a couple years ago, we found dozens of barrels and hundreds of cans of food in her basement...rotten and disgusting. Some had been there for 50 years. You see, the problem was that she hoarded things that she didnt actually consume in the real world. If you start stockpiling hard red wheat and have never actually used or eaten hard red wheat, your wife might ask you to put your tinfoil hat away.

I grew up in a place without ready access to milk so we used powdered milk. Start there...buy some, mix it up and use in a few meals. Then sell your wife on how convenient it is when a storm empties the grocery of milk and you still have plenty...in your cupboard...even when the power is out.

Heartland Hawk
03-30-13, 16:17
Convincing women is easy, just go slow and take an approach to which they can relate.

Stage 1) "man, another hurricane...just look at those poor bastards. Sure hope nobody gets hurt. Particularly kids...I always worry about the kids."

Stage 2) "God, more hurricanes down in the gulf. Man, they sure have great beaches but I'm starting to be glad we live on the coast/in the mountains/in Ohio/in NYC".

Stage 3) "You know, we don't get hurricanes...but if we ever get hit with a major earthquake/tornado/ice storm/riot, what would we do about the kids/your sister/your mother?

Stage 4) "I've been thinking about earthquakes/riots/avalanches/realistic threats of some kind which do not require any particular political allegiance to believe in and just in case, I picked up a couple of days' worth of supplies, just to last us in case we ever have to wait for the red cross or whatever. As long as the kids/your retarded cousin/your dog is fine, that's the main thing."

Stage 5) "I picked up a couple of extra things because they were on sale...check this out, your favourite soup. I figured we could have some tonight, and keep some with the other earthquake/forest fire/major snowfall stuff."

Stage 6) "You know, we're pretty well set up. I know everybody we know on this block is cool, but I was thinking about that new guy. He's probably fine, I guess. But you know how I have a couple of guns...I was just thinking about how if it were me, I'd want the supplies. Anyway I'm just thinking I should make sure we're stocked up on ammo. Just to make sure that, you know, if things somehow go ****ed or whatever, you and the kids are 100% taken care of."

Start by thinking about what will appeal to them about survival. Women worry about their kids and their families. Don't seem crazy, seem 10% more protective than an average guy.

That should work, because frankly you shouldn't BE crazy. You should just BE a little more protective than the average guy. That's what survival is about. My wife never thinks of me as crazy, because I don't come off crazy. I come off as rational and relaxed, but with an unshakable drive to make sure she's safe. She loves it because she feels well protected.

Stuff like this is all in the delivery IMO.

This is awesome advice! This is EXACTLY what I've been doing for the last 6 years or so. She is so on board now, I'll say "Man, look at these ammo prices! This is a steal! I'm going to get another case!" And she'll answer with "Should I get another case to for my pistol (1911)?" I'll be like "Sure, honey, lets get two cases." And she is fine with it. I wanted to stop at about 14 months of food, but she was all "But I wanted that six #10 can meat combo... It's on sale!" So I'll go "Okay, and lets get those heirloom seeds for your garden, too." No Shit. I love that woman!:)

NetDep
04-05-13, 00:05
I no longer see the need to "convince" anyone of anything. I have the faith of my convictions and confidence in my beliefs and that is all I need. My wife - if she respects and trusts me - trusts in me as well. If she feels that respect and trust is misplaced then maybe I am not the husband she wants or the wife I need to keep.

...out...

HCPrepper
04-10-13, 04:42
When I first started "prepping" my wife thought I was crazy, she told me I worry about things that our government would never let happen.

That was a year ago, now she goes to Walmart, and comes back with carts full of stuff, buying extra items, food stores, and a few bottles of water that she sets aside in the pantry.

I never said a word, or questioned her, just quietly smiled to myself at the fact the woman opened her eyes on her own.

Finally decided to ask her why. Her reply was simple: We're gonna survive anything that's thrown at us as a family!

I'm a proud man ! Another Patriot has joined our ranks. :cool:

flyfishnevada
04-10-13, 23:50
My wife is on board with my plans to bug in and build a survival/GHB. Taking her off road a couple of years back and getting stuck and nearly having to spend the night in the woods was all she needed.:D

Honestly, she worries too much so convincing her we need to prepare is right up her alley.

Blayglock
04-11-13, 05:43

This.

PA PATRIOT
04-11-13, 11:35
Nut up Gentlemen! :shout:

Tell that bitch your the man of the house and that Prepping is the new law of the land! :big_boss:

Once you wake up after she knocks your ass out with what ever was handy to hit you with you can try some jewelry or what ever else floats her boat as a bribe until she approves your plan. :D

But in all seriousness some woman wish to live in denial and all you can do is use everyday events which will prove your point eventually. Start slow and build your kit but let her be a part of it ever step of the way. If you have kids include them too as a mom's maternal instincts to keep her kids safe will help slide her in the right direction.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-11-13, 15:16
I usually stick with wearing black dress socks, ragged shorts and my favorite sandals when we go shopping. About 1 out of 100 times she lets me do it :suicide2:

I do this :dance3:

Her friends give me a harder time than she does haha.

Zevyn
04-16-13, 09:24
My wife had seen a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers before I had started being more open about my prepping, which was more about hurricanes here in Florida than end-of-days type scenarios to be honest.

What I do seems mild in comparison to some of those people, so she doesn't think much about it.

skydivr
04-16-13, 09:54
Mine had a shit-fit when I said 'supressor'....

Southern Cross
04-23-13, 01:08
I will preface this with the fact that its a little bit easier for me to convince my wife that preppers and prepping is not crazy as I make my living (and since she is a stay at home mom hers) preparing for disasters. I handle business continuity planning and disaster/emergency management for the Mid-Atlantic (MD, DC, VA, PA, DE, NJ) region of a very large company. She always gets to here about the latest ricks and near misses our country is threatened with. Though the industry is exploding its still tough to get prep per jobs outside of consulting...so I would recommend joining your local CERT team or something to engage your wife in to put a real face on the reason why you prep.

I always cite the many disasters America has faced recently...most importantly Super-storm Sandy. As I managed the response for that even she was able to see first hand the impact it had on those not as prepared as they should have been...including employees in our company left homeless who still had to work on the response.

One of the best things that has happened to my preps was my wife getting hooked on shows like The Walking Dead, Revolution and Jericho. I always say...you know honey...Rick scavenged some of these in episode 13!

Failing that there is always the direct...and in my opinion best approach. Whenever you buy another go bag, Geiger counter or food store just buy her something too. I always factor in a Longeberger basket into my purchases. Hell I had to send her on a spa treatment vacation the last time I bought a stockpile of ammo!

ChrisCross
04-25-13, 19:24
Mine had a shit-fit when I said 'supressor'....

It's not a "supressor" it's a "weapon mountable hearing protector". :neo:

Honestly I went low key and slowly introduced my then gf now fiancee to it. She went from never shot a gun in her life and "not in my house" to taking a carbine course with me and asking if we were going to pick up a couple more rolls of mercury dimes this week. So proud of my work :D

reaver22
04-30-13, 15:10
I put my big boy pants on and said this is what we are going to do and its final LOL ... and then I slept on the couch for a couple days :lol: , I just sat down one day and talked to her about her fears and what she thought about different situations and how we would go about minimizing our effected damage and be better prepared and she jumped on board.

skydivr
04-30-13, 15:26
I actually got my wife to put about a few rounds thru my rifle this weekend. Helped her get over some of the fear of it. Explained and she seemed to understand the difference between this and the evil 'assault' rifle..

She said "have you seen the Joe Biden 'just get a shotgun' vid?" she said she can't quit laughing over it. I think she's starting to realize how much the press and liberals are playing a game of BS. Don't want her to get to liking it too much and start wanting to shoot up too much of my ammo stash.

I didn't dare mention 'night vision' yet :suicide2:

streakpi
05-01-13, 00:20
My wife had seen a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers before I had started being more open about my prepping, which was more about hurricanes here in Florida than end-of-days type scenarios to be honest.

What I do seems mild in comparison to some of those people, so she doesn't think much about it.

My wife became more anti-prepper after watching a few shows of those dingbats "preparing" for XXX or YYY. Heck, I was embarrassed by their theatrics and their "doomsday" predictions.

I'm not a prepper - I am an upper middle-class family guy living in a stable, quiet suburban environment. My wife does not want anything to break this spell. However, I have started "prepping" a bit simply by buying more canned/dry goods when we are out (she wants 2 cans, I buy 6), I've also stored some additional ammo and bought my first AR (just in case prices go up honey!), got a 5K generator this winter due to storms (with extra gas cans), and convinced her to have bug-out bags in all the cars/truck in case we were separated/stuck by the frequent storms here in Illinois. Little by little I am taking smalls steps to help "survive" what I believe as "possible" scenarios such as lawlessness/extended power outages/food shortages due to mother nature (winter storms and tornadoes).

Hope you can work with her rather than lying to her about why you want to "prep". Like others have said - changing the words is a easy fix and focusing on supporting her lifestyle should be your main reason for preparing. Good luck sir.

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-13, 01:21
My wife became more anti-prepper after watching a few shows of those dingbats "preparing" for XXX or YYY. Heck, I was embarrassed by their theatrics and their "doomsday" predictions.

There was a thread on that show when it first aired several years ago in this particular technical sub-forum. The consensus was that shows such as this only serve to influence popular opinion that people who prepare for the inevitable are looney kooks.

I'm not a prepper

Neither am I . . . I'm just a concerned citizen.

streakpi
05-01-13, 01:51
There was a thread on that show when it first aired several years ago in this particular technical sub-forum. The consensus was that shows such as this only serve to influence popular opinion that people who prepare for the inevitable are looney kooks.

Neither am I . . . I'm just a concerned citizen.

We just happen to watch the one where the guy shot himself in the hand while training his kids how to shoot rifles in the desert. My wife just about died laughing. Next one was a girl (I believe) living right next to the state capital building in Utah who filled her apt. with freeze dried/powdered foods and practices humping 10mi to her bug-out location. She was loony-tunes...and those episodes made my wife turn to me and tell me I will not become one of them :). I've been in the military for 23 years so I can hide a lot of stuff under my "military gear" pile...as long as it is work-related...I'm not a looney-tune!! :)

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-13, 02:33
We just happen to watch the one where the guy shot himself in the hand while training his kids how to shoot rifles in the desert.

Not only did that ass clown serve to show "preppers" in a negative light but also gun owners as a whole.

So much fail! This douche broke just about every cardinal rule of safe firearm handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1k962_9A

"The damn thing uh just misfired on it."

"It was one of those malfunctions where my thumb went in front of the barrel and uh it went it off."

:suicide:

streakpi
05-01-13, 02:58
Not only did that ass clown serve to show "preppers" in a negative light but also gun owners as a whole.

So much fail! This douche broke just about every cardinal rule of safe firearm handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qth1k962_9A

"The damn thing uh just misfired on it."

"It was one of those malfunctions where my thumb went in front of the barrel and uh it went it off."

:suicide:

Agree. His goal was to "bug out" of his residence into their desert "hidey-hole" then conduct basic marksmanship training on some balloons. Unfortunately, he should have been provided training to his sons rather than poppin' off rounds for the camera crew. Thank goodness they had an EMT and were able to get medi-vac...cause he fainted really fast.

Gee kids - your dad's plan didn't get past the first shot fired. Hence why I have certain mis-givings about the prepper community. I believe many of them collect and collect...but don't know how to execute the use of all the crap they collect to "survive". Hell, I barely know how to survive without a contractor-run dining facility, Internet cafe, and MWR bowling alley...WHILE DEPLOYED!!!