PDA

View Full Version : Help with Varmint build....

btwice
07-05-11, 22:06
I'm trying to decide between the following:

1. Bushmaster Varminter 24" with black barrel
2. RRA Varmint 24" (don't really want a SS barrel)

So, What if I bought the RRA upper lower stripped and assembled the LPK etc, then bought the bushy barrel, gas block and tube and added the rail. Are the bushmaster barrel and RRA upper compatible? Any suggestions?

PrarieDog
07-05-11, 23:12
The parts will fit. Question is do you plan on shooting from a rest/bench or carrying this thing. If your chasing coyotes then I would go with a standard barrel as they are lighter to carry and are accurate enough. Not sure if the 24" barrel is worth it. Plenty of velocity out of a 20". Just think your carrying extra wieght. I have a RRA 20" bull barrel. Shoots great but just a pain to lug around all day.

Warg
07-06-11, 12:24
Agree with P'Dog. Please tell your intended use, what ammo you plan on using and the desired twist rate for the barrel (BM is 1:9, RRA's 1:8 and 1:12). For example, if you want to shoot 75 gr+, these barrels may not be the best choice nor would they be if you need to carry the rifle for an extended period of time.

btwice
07-07-11, 12:11
Agree with P'Dog. Please tell your intended use, what ammo you plan on using and the desired twist rate for the barrel (BM is 1:9, RRA's 1:8 and 1:12). For example, if you want to shoot 75 gr+, these barrels may not be the best choice nor would they be if you need to carry the rifle for an extended period of time.

Well I decided to just get the bushy varminter...