PDA

View Full Version : Problem With MOE Trigger Guard

saddlerocker
07-06-11, 01:00
Well I finaly got my PSA stripped lower today so I went ahead and started installing my MOE LPK.

Everything went good and I was happy how smooth it went, except for the trigger guard.

On the MOE Polymer trigger guard they give you a roll pin and a threaded set screw. The roll pin went in fine, but the threaded screw stripped after going in very little.
I assume I could just buy some kind of screw from the hardware store and use that, but getting the stripped Magpul screw out is gonna be tough.

Any suggestions or experiance with this issue?
Thanks

Eric
07-06-11, 09:11
Any suggestions...

Contact Magpul. (http://www.magpul.com/contactinfo.html)

CarlosDJackal
07-06-11, 12:05
I ran into this same issue about a month ago. In my case it was far enough in that I left it alone. But I wonder what is going on with these screws?

Eric D.
07-06-11, 13:29
Was it the hex head that stripped? When I installed my MOE trigger guard I had to go buy an allen wrench that would fit - I didnt't have one small enough. I don't remember what size it was but its very easy to use one that's just a bit too small. You're also using the screw to thread the polymer. Much like tapping a hole in metal, it really helps to go 1-2 turns CW then 1 turn CCW. You just need to carefully work the screw in.

Evil1969SS>LS6
07-06-11, 15:32
Next time do what Eric said. Before you even install the guard slowly screw the threaded set pin in first. That way you'll already have the threads tapped into the polymer...then install the guard. I've never stipped out the polymer guard that way.

Koshinn
07-06-11, 15:52
Use a torx screw driver instead of hex. T7 torx screwdriver will be able to screw in the MOE trigger guard if you stripped it with the provided hex key.

saddlerocker
07-07-11, 16:19
I contacted magpul and they gave me the correct size screw and thread size.
BTW I stripped the hex, not the threads of the screw.
Im hoping I can just go to the hardware store and buy a screw the right size, I can cut it to length easily.
And since the polymer trigger guard isnt threaded it would seem like I could use any thread size if I couldnt find the correct one.
Just need to get the old one out. It is holding the trigger guard in, but it doesnt look like by much.

I have read a ton of posts about the hex screw stripping, but no one really offered any advice. But it seems they are very weak metal, and I think the thread locker is not needed either.

GTifosi
07-07-11, 20:27
The metal is fine, it's just so damn dinky with the tool hole at 1/16" that it doesn't have much inherant strength to begin with.

Roughly .016" per flat to give an idea.

nimdabew
07-07-11, 21:17
I assume that it is the plastic trigger guard. If so, use a lighter and heat it up while holding it with the hex screw for about 15-30 seconds next time. This will let the threads melt the plastic as you are screwing it in so you don't have to torque it as hard while it is still hot.

An Undocumented Worker
07-07-11, 21:36
I assume that it is the plastic trigger guard. If so, use a lighter and heat it up while holding it with the hex screw for about 15-30 seconds next time. This will let the threads melt the plastic as you are screwing it in so you don't have to torque it as hard while it is still hot.

Heat the screw not the trigger guard

nimdabew
07-07-11, 23:15
Heat the screw not the trigger guard

lol yeah. That's what I meant.

Koshinn
07-07-11, 23:29
Seriously use a T7 torx screw driver, it's fairly common in sets with interchangeable heads. It'll work guaranteed, just apply some pressure while turning.

I've done it myself when I too stripped the screw in the moe trigger guard. The T7 torx head can easilly install and remove the screw. I suggested it to another person and it worked well for him too.