PDA

View Full Version : 12in DD or Larue?? DD not so "lite" with QD mount....

Falz24
07-06-11, 02:48
The DD lite rail is only 2-2.5oz lighter than the larue. So after you put a 1oz (or more) QD mount on it is probably unnoticeable. Correct?

Which do you prefer and why?? Would be a plus if you have experience with both... (FWIW I am not worried about ease of install as I am not installing it)

Thanks!

GermanSynergy
07-06-11, 03:42
I own both rails and still prefer the DD Lite by a mile. To me, it just "feels" lighter. Both rails are top notch and will serve you well.

RichDC2
07-06-11, 06:25
I have both and they are both quality made rails with differences.
I find that the DD is slightly thicker, and i also notice the Larue rails themselves to not have sharp edges to them, as if all of the edges were broken down by sanding them before finish. The DD rails are rough to the touch. Both of these will serve you well.

Sanpete
07-06-11, 06:58
I much prefer the shape of the Larue rail. The weight difference is negligible.

jsummers
07-06-11, 11:46
I own both rails and still prefer the DD Lite by a mile. To me, it just "feels" lighter. Both rails are top notch and will serve you well.

What he says. I have both as well and the DD LITE just feels lighter. I also (ever so slightly) prefer the feel of the DD rail than the Larue.

nynco
07-06-11, 11:52
Centurion - nearly the same weight as the DD lite and has QD slots already.

spread sheet on rail weights (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)

JasonM
07-06-11, 12:02
I think the DD Lite rail is "Lite" in comparison to the other DD rails.

All quality rails are close in weight and feel in actual use.

I've got mostly KAC rails and really like them, but if I were buying today, i'd look hard at the Centurion rails.

And Id not hesitate to run the DD lite rails either.

bp7178
07-06-11, 12:47
I don't think the big difference between the Larue and DD Lite rails is in the weight.

The big difference is in the profile. The DD Lite has more of an oval shape as the bottom rail is farther from the barrel. Also, the DD Lite connects all the way to the upper and creates a continious upper rial.

That being said, look at the DD RIS-II. It has the same type of profile as the Larue rail. If you are going to run a light on a offset or at 12 o-clock, I like the shorter bottom rails for this.

Cameron
07-06-11, 15:34
I much prefer the DD Lite rail of the LaRue simply because I like a continuous top rail with out the gap where the ring in on the LaRue.

DD Lite rails, a rail so nice I bought 5 of them...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5213882132_91161df369_b.jpg

cop1211
07-06-11, 16:56
I have both, both are good to go, so you cant go wrong. If I had to pick 1, I'd say Larue. But if I build another rifle, I'd go with the URX III.

Magic_Salad0892
07-06-11, 17:10
If I wasn't using KAC rails, I'd probably use Centurion.

Daniel Defence can't be wrong though, they just feel a little fat to me.

BTW: I hate that your profile picture is the same as Templar's.

bp7178
07-06-11, 17:11
I'd give stronger consideration to the URX-III if the wrench didn't cost more than the rail.

It is nice though...

JasonM
07-06-11, 17:13
I'd give stronger consideration to the URX-III if the wrench didn't cost more than the rail.

It is nice though...

Ha, this is true.

Find a shop that has one and you're GTG. they are awesome rails.

JW1069
07-06-11, 17:15
Your call. I prefer the continuous rail of the DD Lite, but these are both solid rail systems.

calvin118
07-06-11, 18:16
The DD QD mount is actually 0.5 ounces according to my scale. I prefer the DD for the slightly lower weight and continuous top rail. URX III might be an interesting option if one could be found.