PDA

View Full Version : Massive Haboob(sand storm) in Arizona

jwfuhrman
07-06-11, 08:05
Holy Crap!? Evidentally the weather hasn't calmed down yet this year. From Massive Tornado's in places that normally don't get them, to record flooding, to out of control Wildfires, and now this....

In Tempe and Phoenix Arizona. Saw where 9400 people were without power, and Phoenix Skyharbor Airport(nice place btw) was shut down for an hour.

http://yfrog.com/5io60z#.ThRb99xw37o.facebook

mhanna91
07-06-11, 08:13
Wow. So the high winds that come with the sandstorm are dangerous, but what kind of effect does the sand have on houses and cars? If it is moving with the 60-70 mph winds will it eat paint?

ALCOAR
07-06-11, 09:52

Zhurdan
07-06-11, 10:29
What next... locusts? :D

mrbieler
07-06-11, 12:36
I was in Phoenix over the weekend bring my son to see the grandparents. We left yesterday and obviously just missed this. You could see/sense the weather brewing all weekend. Those storms are pretty amazing.

Iraqgunz
07-06-11, 16:17
:D I guess it's a good thing I am in Iraqazona where it's a cool 115 degrees.

C-grunt
07-06-11, 22:13
We get those every so often. It usually means a good rain afterwards so I like them. I think some parts of the valley got 3/4 of an inch from that storm....thats a lot by the way for Phoenix.

My cousin posted a pic on Facebook so I ran outside to try and get a picture from the top of the levy down the street. When I got to the top I saw that it was on the other side of the riverbed, about 1/4 mile wide, and I didnt get back to the house before it got me.

Honu
07-07-11, 00:34
North area our yard was brown and pool was brown insane weather

ReaperAZ
07-08-11, 09:37
I was caught in a sand/dust storm on the way to Phoenix a few years ago. Was just North of Eloy on the I-10. I have driven in some pretty crappy weather in my time but that was some crazy shit. Being from back East I had never seen such a thing so I was amazed at watching the wall of dust roll across the freeway.

Irish
07-19-11, 17:18
And another one... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016375/Arizona-dust-storm-3-000ft-high-cloud-turns-sky-brown.html

C-grunt
07-19-11, 17:42
Took a picture of it from the levy next to my house. Yes that is a riverbed in the foreground of the picture.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/Haboob2.jpg

montanadave
07-19-11, 19:03
Well... at least it's a dry dust.

GermanSynergy
07-19-11, 21:08
Isn't a shamal a sandstorm?

Iraqgunz
07-20-11, 02:56
Shamal is the Arabic word for "wind" and more specifically the northwesterly winds that blow through Iraq and the Persian Gulf area.

Isn't a shamal a sandstorm?

ReaperAZ
07-20-11, 08:36
Well... at least it's a dry dust.

LOL!

Shamal is the Arabic word for "wind" and more specifically the northwesterly winds that blow through Iraq and the Persian Gulf area.

Learn something new every day.

Luckily the monsoons have arrived here in Tucson. We needed them in a bad way, so as much as I detest rain, it's a good thing for cutting down on all this dust.

jwfuhrman
07-20-11, 08:45
Send that monsoon this way. We haven't had more than a quarter inch in 2 months...... And I'm in Indiana, where we had WAY TO MUCH this spring.... Weather patterns are getting ridiculous in all parts of the country/world..... "The Day After Tomorrow"?

ReaperAZ
07-20-11, 14:36
If I could muster up a Superman style breath, I would certainly give those monsoons a blast you way. All the dry weather we had there for a bit was hell for the forest fires they were trying to contain. So for once I was happy to see the rain.

Iraqgunz
07-20-11, 14:37
We could use the water in AZ. As far as I am concerned it could rain a couple of horus everyday. It would be good for us.

LOL!

Learn something new every day.

Luckily the monsoons have arrived here in Tucson. We needed them in a bad way, so as much as I detest rain, it's a good thing for cutting down on all this dust.

ReaperAZ
07-20-11, 15:10
Unfortunately with the rain generally comes lightning and that means we have to evac the building and miss out on work time. Now I am all for taking a break from time to time but we lose sometimes up to three hours of production time which means less units out the door for the military.

But yes I agree we do need it for sure.

Lumpy196
07-22-11, 09:55
It was the most terrible weather event I've ever survived. We were without power for TWO whole hours.

The next day I had to sweep my porch and entry way. The humanity.