PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing issues with iron A2

BCO30
07-06-11, 23:01
I am trying to zero a fixed upper with A2 iron sights. I have the front and rear sights at Mechanical Zero. Front sight post base is even, and rear sight is aligned with hash marks.

I am shooting 55 grain Wolf at 50 yards. I am using the smaller apperature because it seems like I can see the front sight better. Making sure my sight picture is aligned, breathing control, and Caldwell rested. Majority of my shots all go 5" high and 5" to the left. I have had a few come closer to center but the majority go high and left. Do I really need to crank down my sights at 50 yds to hit closer to center? Which I tried turning the windage knob clockwise with the R to get my rounds more to the right, but still with no results. I had another shooter shoot and they had the same results. High and left.

If there are any recomendations it would be appreciated.
Or DVD's, book, suggestions. -Thanks.

rathos
07-07-11, 01:42
when I took a basic patrol rifle class we sighted in for a 50 yard zero. First thing they told us was never mess with the rear elevation knob. From everything I have ever read DO NOT move that knob. All elevation should be done from the front sight post.

First thing we did was turn the windage all the way to the left. Then we counted how many clicks it was to go all the way to the right. We then went back half of the amount of clicks (I think it was 90 all the way across so we went back to 45). This gave us a basic windage zero. I know mine required no windage movement from there. We then tested our rifles at 25 yards. Because of the offset we were expected to hit about an 1.5 inches high. We dialed in our front sight posts from there and then went to 50 yards and tested again. Some needed adjustment mine seemed to be fine. Each string was run freehand standing with about 5 rounds to check. Since you have a rest you could probably get a bit more precision.

We always used the small peep for shooting. The front sight post should be right in the middle of the circle. something like the picture at the site below:

http://larcpistolandrifleclub.com/html/M1SightPix.htm

Sorry if this was long winded or gave too much info and good luck getting sighted in.

товарищ
07-07-11, 12:24
Take your rifle (with the rear sight set at 8/3, 2 clicks counter-clockwise on the elevation knob with even windage) and zero roughly an inch below POA at 25 meters.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75940 has some targets that may make this easier for you.

Adjustments at 25m:

One click on front sight post (counter-clockwise to move shots down) = 3/8"
One click on windage = 1/8"

Do this and see if you can identify any issues with your fundamentals. When you're comfortable, set up a target at 50 meters and ensure that you're grouping center mass.

Adjustments at 50m:

One click on front sight post = 5/8"
One click on windage = 1/4"

BCO30
07-12-11, 13:13
Is it pretty normal to have to lower the front sight post 5 to 7 clicks from the mechanical zero, and adjust my windage 5 to 7 clicks to the right to get hits on center?

товарищ
07-13-11, 12:33
Is it pretty normal to have to lower the front sight post 5 to 7 clicks from the mechanical zero, and adjust my windage 5 to 7 clicks to the right to get hits on center?

There's nothing wrong with that.

BCO30
07-13-11, 18:58
Thats what I needed to know. Im ignorant to iron sights. Ive got another upper thats a flat top with an eotech which was pretty simple to zero. I did not want to have to send the upper back saying it will not zero. Ill have to go back to the range and try again.

Thanks.