PDA

View Full Version : DIY Camo Help for a .22

TapRackBang20
07-07-11, 02:39
Wanted to get the opinions of those more experienced than I on this topic. If this is in the wrong place, my apologies, Mods. Please relocate it to the correct one.

So, I have been toying with the idea of applying a Krylon paint job to my Marlin 795, which serves as my squirrel/small game gun, for purely aesthetic purposes. The other day I dug out some of my old airsoft guns from when I was a kid to practice on, since I did not want my first attempt to be on the gun. Here are the results:

For the top one I applied an OD coating first, then Khaki over leaves and grass to create the patterning. For the bottom, I applied Khaki first, then OD over the leaves and grass, then misted in some black. The second seems to be the better pattern for my locale (Southeast US) so I'm going to use that technique.

Any tips as far as what to watch out for? For instance, will it harm the action of the gun if the bolt gets painted (don't want to paint it all then have a metallic bolt showing)? Should I do anything to prep it for the paint? Any advice would be much appreciated.

-TRB

chuckocaster
07-12-11, 10:33
i think those look great! i camo my varmint guns with krylon camo paint, the ultra flat stuff. i would recommend you tape off anything you don't want painted, especially the bolt. i knock off the shine from the gun with some sandpaper and then rub it down with naptha or something like that to take the grease and grime off. then i paint away. i'm not as methodical with my patterns as you seem to be. i kinda just make it up as i go along as i go for more of an army truck type pattern. i get good feedback from the people who see my work. i'm not saying it's great, but it gets the job done.

here are a couple of my camo jobs, my ar and my 10/22. good luck with your project.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/chuckocaster/arcamo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/chuckocaster/22wabbits.jpg