PDA

View Full Version : Finally Took the Glock Plunge Today

goodoleboy
07-07-11, 22:03
After a deal-breaking malfunction in my XD-45 last week, I finally sold that thing and bought a Glock 22 today. To make a long story short, I had a small pebble make its way into the mainspring housing of my XD that got lodged in front of the grip safety, disabling the weapon till I could take it back and clean it. I couldn't cycle the slide or fire the weapon. This was a deal-breaker, even after 3 years without a hitch. I never understood why it needed a grip safety anyway, but till last week I never had a reason to complain about it, other than the unlikely event that I would need to retract the slide after being injured. But after that malfunction, it was time to find a replacement. So, I found a great deal on a 3rd Generation Glock 22 RTF. I walked out the door for $449.00 (Tax Included), which wasn't that bad for the prices I've seen around here. I love the texture on this weapon as opposed to other Glocks I've handled in the past. I can't wait to take it to the range and get familiar with it later this week.

Here's a pic, sorry for the poor resolution, I'm not much of a photographer and the pic was taken with a cell phone. Just for the record, the malfunction on my XD was one I never would have imagined happening, but after that, I'll never own another one.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy346/mountainman069/IMG00186-20110707-2226.jpg

oef24
07-07-11, 22:11
Welcome to the club. Now you have to get a matching little brother and big poppa. You won't regret it.

O

PA PATRIOT
07-07-11, 23:39
Welcome to the dark side of the force, keep a good round count for recoil spring replacement and beware of reloaded ammunition unless you roll your own.

Enjoy!

mashed68
07-08-11, 00:40
Why the 22 and not a 21 if you came from an xd45?

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 01:22

He did good going with the G22. Similar in size with a great SD round. Although I LOVE my G21, the sucker is big and may not be appropriate for EDC for a lot of guys. Mine sees daylight October through March since it require a decent cover garment..

goodoleboy
07-08-11, 06:05

There were two factors that influenced this decision. First, I own a couple of .45s (1911s) already and the frame on the 21 just felt awkward to me (too bulky for my liking). Secondly, I've never owned a .40, but I reload all my own ammo, and I've been pretty impressed with the ballistic performance of that round I've read about in the reloading manuals for some time now. Ultimately, it boiled down to a friend of mine sharing his 22C with me on a trip to the range.

It's a totally new platform and cartridge for me, which will require several trips to the range and a few hundred rounds to make me feel comfortable with it, but it's a labor of love :lol:.

Grizzly16
07-08-11, 06:47
I love my g22. Like someone else mentioned you need a g27 and/or g23 to go with it now. The rtf2 texture is also very very nice.

dconline
07-08-11, 07:32
I think that you made a great decision. I've been an avid handgun shooter for the last 20+ years. After using just about every design under the sun, the Glock offers a perfect balance of features resulting in a reliable and accurate platform (in my opinion).

Enjoy your new gun. The more you use it, the more you'll love it.

BamaM4
07-08-11, 07:41
What is the plan if the Glock malfunctions?

Does ftf or fte qualify as a malfunction?

goodoleboy
07-08-11, 08:40

That would depend on the type of malfunction. FTE or FTF are to be expected to happen and we all train accordingly to react in the event of one of these malfunctions.

Other malfunctions resulting from obvious design flaws are different for me. I refuse to trust my life and the lives of my family to a weapon that will fail because of a stupid design. I grew up shooting 1911s, so I was comfortable with a grip safety on a handgun. However, the mainspring housing of the 1911 is closed at the bottom, whereas the mainspring housing on the XD is open, creating an avenue for debris to enter the weapon and cause a malfunction. Such a malfunction could be avoided by foregoing excessive parts with no apparent purpose. Ultimately, what concerns me the most is that such a malfunction was not considered during design and testing by the manufacturer.

That is my definition of a deal-breaking malfunction. Malfunctions that are due to obvious design flaws make me want to look for superior weapons that are not subject to such malfunctions.

Great question, by the way.

loupav
07-08-11, 10:30
After a long damn time I finally got my buddy to go with a Glock. He's been shooting 1911's for a while and got tired of the maintenance.

Congrats and enjoy!

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 11:11
Tough to beat the Glock platform. I have a safe full of them and every one of em gets regular carry. My wife even keeps a G19 with a Surefire mounted in the top of her closet for nights I'm working. You will not be disappointed with that G22. There's a reason it rides in the holster of more US cops than any other pistol.

Nephrology
07-08-11, 15:01
I have a G17RTF and love the hell out of it. It is my dedicated IDPA pistol. I carry it now and then but mostly carry the G19+TLR1 as it is only a 2 round difference but carries better.

Axcelea
07-08-11, 19:34
Pretty hard to go wrong with a Glock.

Triple7
07-08-11, 19:43
Glocks are the best....I love mine!
My first day with my Glock I put 500 rounds through it, not a hitch.
Now get you a Talon grip and you'll be gtg

sgtjosh
07-08-11, 20:33
I've had a Glock 22 for 18 years. The only malfunctions it has seen were either intentionally induced or ammo related. Avoid putting lead through the pipe and give her a stable platform to recoil against.

bushmaster4162
07-09-11, 07:19
get rid of that nickle plated sissy pistol,and get your self a GLOCK!!!!!!! tommy lee jones=u.s. marshalls.

BamaM4
07-09-11, 11:58
That would depend on the type of malfunction. FTE or FTF are to be expected to happen and we all train accordingly to react in the event of one of these malfunctions.

Other malfunctions resulting from obvious design flaws are different for me. I refuse to trust my life and the lives of my family to a weapon that will fail because of a stupid design. I grew up shooting 1911s, so I was comfortable with a grip safety on a handgun. However, the mainspring housing of the 1911 is closed at the bottom, whereas the mainspring housing on the XD is open, creating an avenue for debris to enter the weapon and cause a malfunction. Such a malfunction could be avoided by foregoing excessive parts with no apparent purpose. Ultimately, what concerns me the most is that such a malfunction was not considered during design and testing by the manufacturer.

That is my definition of a deal-breaking malfunction. Malfunctions that are due to obvious design flaws make me want to look for superior weapons that are not subject to such malfunctions.

Great question, by the way.
Great answer. Makes a lot of sense.

When it comes to trusting your life in, you got to go with what you trust.

I never had or shot an XD, nor have I read or experienced such a failure. Would definitely be scary.

goodoleboy
07-11-11, 14:39
Great answer. Makes a lot of sense.

When it comes to trusting your life in, you got to go with what you trust.

I never had or shot an XD, nor have I read or experienced such a failure. Would definitely be scary.

I guess what did it in for me is that the malfunction was one that was due to poor design that took away my confidence with the weapon. I can't abide a malfunction that takes my confidence away.

Wiggity
07-11-11, 14:43

Yes I'd say that is a malfunction

After a long damn time I finally got my buddy to go with a Glock. He's been shooting 1911's for a while and got tired of the maintenance.

Congrats and enjoy!

I like my glock 19 a lot more than my kimber at this point.

Axcelea
07-11-11, 16:04
I like my glock 19 a lot more than my kimber at this point.

What model Kimber? I have a Custom II and although I am more accurate with it (I seem to shoot low with Glock 19, might be a difference in the way they are sighted in?) the Glock 19 still is more than acceptable groups and not omg different, has no hiccups (actually just got back from the range a few hours ago, just then the Glock did about 225 with no problems and the Kimber did 50 with 2 instances of the last round sneaking up some causing the last round hold up to get triggered), much easier to maintain (just finished cleaning, glock got a quick wipe down and lube and that was all that was needing but the Kimber needed the extra effort of disassemble and reassemble that is the 1911 as well as a bit more scrubbing for some reason), not to mention things like holding more than 8 rounds.

Hope I am not jumping the tracks that much, just have this fresh in my mind. Don't think any of my pistols compete all that well against my Glock 19.