PDA

View Full Version : G19 ccw ammo recommendations?

JOHNO
07-08-11, 02:03
I alternate between a G19 and a 1911, I carry hollowpoints in my 1911 but I've been carrying the G19 with 124 gr Winchester Ranger FMJ because I have a few cases of it. Its time to fix this and I'm wondering about using the Winchester Ranger Talon 127gr. +P+ HP Ammo but I'm not sure if the G19 will handle the +P+. Does anyone know if this would be a suitable defensive round in the G19 without causing it to self destruct or do you have any recommendations?

jenrick
07-08-11, 02:21
A Glock will run just fine with about anything that will fit in the chamber. So long as it's at sane pressure level any +P+ stuff should run fine. As far as battering your gun to some degree, that's the price you pay for the higher pressure. Me personally I don't really see the point of going to a +P+ if there are regular pressure or +P rounds that perform as needed. If one of your major concerns is barrier penetration then going to a +P+ round might make sense, but reevaluating the caliber might be a better choice.

-Jenrick

sjc3081
07-08-11, 03:15
NYPD has had excellent results with this load. I personally used it to kill a Pitbull that tried to remove my genitals. I carry it my G19.

tpd223
07-08-11, 03:25
My Glocks run the 127gr just fine, and I have shots a couple of cases of that stuff.

For the record, NYPD uses the 124gr +P Gold Dot, we also issue this at my job.
This and either the 124gr +P Ranger-T or HST would be my recommendation though.
Slightly less recoil, doesn't beat the gun up as much, and they match up in recoil and POA/POI characteristics very well with the Ranger 124gr FMJ.

vigilant2
07-08-11, 04:09
I've been carrying/running the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in my 4 G19's for approximately 2 yrs now, no problems. I routinely will shoot off some of it for functionality, reminder of POA/POI changes versus practice ammo and to address rechambering issues. I can definitely "feel" a sharper recoil impulse, but controllability is unaffected.
I've recently switched to building up a stock of Ranger 147gr for carry (both bonded and unbonded) for my G19's as I acquired 2 HK P7 PSP's which were built around the Nato spec 124gr +P round. The
P7's love the RA9TA(127+P+).
According to those here with knowledge of ballistics/results (eg, DOCGKR) you will be well served with either the 127+p+ or 147gr
Ranger rounds.

GermanSynergy
07-08-11, 04:22
My Glocks run the 127gr just fine, and I have shots a couple of cases of that stuff.

For the record, NYPD uses the 124gr +P Gold Dot, we also issue this at my job.
This and either the 124gr +P Ranger-T or HST would be my recommendation though.
Slightly less recoil, doesn't beat the gun up as much, and they match up in recoil and POA/POI characteristics very well with the Ranger 124gr FMJ.

This is my choice as well in my G 19.

Omega Man
07-08-11, 06:10
I have Federal HST 147gr +P in my Glock 19. Its accurate and soft shooting. It looks quite impressive when expanded and expands larger than most of the top hollow point ammo, thats out there.

Omega Man
07-08-11, 06:12
NYPD has had excellent results with this load. I personally used it to kill a Pitbull that tried to remove my genitals. I carry it my G19.

Lol. Im glad you came out of that with your "boys" intact.

AMMOTECH
07-08-11, 06:20
Federal 9mm Luger 105 gr Expanding FMJ Premium Personal Defense

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAPD9CSP2H

I also use the 165gr EFJ .45 in my G36.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FAPD45CSP2H&src=sim

Grizzly16
07-08-11, 06:46
I carry Winchester ranger ammo in my 9mm and .40. I think their ranger ammo is all low flash. I took some of the 180gr bonded ranger hollow points with to a night shoot class and could tell a marked difference in the muzzle flash between it and just about every other round guys were shooting. Most of them were probably fmj plinking ammo. So if the gold dots are low flash you can ignore this post :)

Whtwolf14
07-08-11, 08:38
Standard pressure 124gr HST's, or Gold Dots.

I got the HST's in it right now.

alphableak83
07-08-11, 12:12
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p is all I carry. You can see the expansion in the video below under perfect conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg

Nephrology
07-08-11, 13:22
I carry the 124gr +P Gold Dots as well in my 19. I will probably transition to a 147gr load in the future - probably HSTs or Winchester Ranger-Ts.

Beat Trash
07-08-11, 13:22
A Glock will run just fine with about anything that will fit in the chamber. So long as it's at sane pressure level any +P+ stuff should run fine. As far as battering your gun to some degree, that's the price you pay for the higher pressure. Me personally I don't really see the point of going to a +P+ if there are regular pressure or +P rounds that perform as needed. If one of your major concerns is barrier penetration then going to a +P+ round might make sense, but reevaluating the caliber might be a better choice.

-Jenrick

I agree with this post.

I carry 147 gr JHP in my 9mm's, to include my Glock 19. I've used the Winchester Ranger T loading in my personal guns for about 7 years. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the 147 gr HST loading though.

If I were concerned about barrier penetration, than I'd look into one of the bonded loadings. To me, this is of more benefit than increasing the pressure to a +P+ loading.

The ammunition issued to me that I must carry in my agency's issued M&P9 is the Winchester white box loading of the 147 gr JHP. This has been the issued round since the transition from revolvers in the late 1980's. Hopefully the politics involved will allow a change in the near future. Our last OIS was about 2 months ago. Two rounds in the upper center chest and suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. But this speaks as much if not more about the importance of shot placement than bullet design.

glock42
07-08-11, 13:26
124 grain hydro shock

Nephrology
07-08-11, 13:33
I agree with this post.

The ammunition issued to me that I must carry in my agency's issued M&P9 is the Winchester white box loading of the 147 gr JHP.

:confused:

Why on earth do they make you carry that junk?

TOrrock
07-08-11, 14:02
John, Doc Roberts compiled a list of acceptable, proven duty and defense loads here in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Winchester Ranger 127gr. +P+ works great. I personally use the Winchester Ranger 147gr. non +P.

Beat Trash
07-08-11, 15:25
:confused:

Why on earth do they make you carry that junk?

Long story having to do with politics. We're getting a new Chief, who'll be the first Chief from outside of agency in the last 208 years. Hopefully some things can change...

While Winchester +P+ would be a good loading, I like my training/practice ammunition to mimic my carry ammo, if at all possible. Same point of aim and same felt recoil in training as when carrying. This could be an issue with +P+ loadings when looking for training ammo.

GermanSynergy
07-08-11, 15:29
124 grain hydro shock

With all due respect, defensive ammunition technology has improved significantly over the last decade, and there's no reason to select HS unless mandated to by your agency.

While mindset and shot placement are paramount, proper ammunition selection is also a critical component in this equation.

Iraqgunz
07-08-11, 15:56
First off. It is called Hydra-shok. Second. After your silly Glock Gen 4 thread I don't think you are qualified to be making ammunition recommendations.

Read more and post less.

124 grain hydro shock

Maverick07
07-08-11, 16:58
Early in my LE career I carried a G19 with various loads, including my then favorite Federal 115+p+ 9BLE round. Since then I went to .40 and then .45 and now like a long lost friend I have rediscovered what did not need replacing.

My question is this: Is the Federal 9mm 115+p+ round remains as viable a defense load as when I first carried it or have new HST's or Ranger rounds superceded it to a significant degree? Our department issues Federal 147 HST's but I am looking for an off-duty round and have been partial to fast and light over heavy and slow in the 9mm.

Nephrology
07-08-11, 17:00
Early in my LE career I carried a G19 with various loads, including my then favorite Federal 115+p+ 9BLE round. Since then I went to .40 and then .45 and now like a long lost friend I have rediscovered what did not need replacing.

My question is this: Is the Federal 9mm 115+p+ round remains as viable a defense load as when I first carried it or have new HST's or Ranger rounds superceded it to a significant degree? Our department issues Federal 147 HST's but I am looking for an off-duty round and have been partial to fast and light over heavy and slow in the 9mm.

147gr HSTs are highly rated. I would stick with that.

If you want a 115gr +P load look at the Cor-Bon DPX. It's a little too spendy for my taste, though, given that Speer and Winchester make 124gr +Ps that are just as good.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 18:50
124 grain hydro shock

Why not Silvertips :rolleyes: knucklehead

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1036714&postcount=47

CoryCop25
07-08-11, 19:04
I currently use 124 gr Hornady TAP in my gen 2 19. I am thinking of switching to 147gr Winchester Ranger T.
I used to carry 147gr Black Talons and they were the most accurate for me back then. It's just a switch back to the old standard.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 19:10
I used to carry 147gr Black Talons and they were the most accurate for me back then.

They were good in their day two decade ago. There are much better choices now.

JOHNO
07-09-11, 12:56
Thanks for the Great info! I'm definately moving in the right direction. :D

tkki1230
07-09-11, 13:40
147gr HSTs are highly rated. I would stick with that.

I am looking to buy some ammo, and I was thinking of going with the 147gr HST's. I noticed that there is also +P version of the 147gr HST. Is there a big difference between the two?

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-11, 17:01
John, Doc Roberts compiled a list of acceptable, proven duty and defense loads here in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

This is where I get my data from. I usually carry GD 124 +p or the Ranger 124 +p T-Series in my CCW G19. Also have the Federal HST 147s as well.

tpd223
07-09-11, 17:03

I'd stick with the 147gr HST. This round tests very well, and has worked exactly as planned in the shootings that I am aware of. I have seen recovered bullets pulled from people, they work as advertised.

The 9BPLE has been surpassed for some time as a choice for carry ammo. This is coming from a guy who used to carry the 115gr +P+ as a first choice of ammo.

tpd223
07-09-11, 17:07
Federal 9mm Luger 105 gr Expanding FMJ Premium Personal Defense

While I have carried the 124gr +P version of the EFMJ, from looking at the testing and some personal testing here, I would rather carry straight FMJ for defense than the 105gr load.
It barely cycles many pistols, hits low compared to other standard weight 9mm ammo, and penetrates very poorly.

Someone mentioned the 124gr "Hydroshock". This is another poor choice.

My department issued the 147gr and then later the 124gr Hydrashock as duty ammo. It performed very poorly is several OISs we had locally.
The bullets would often fail to expand at all and zip through like ball ammo, or they would overexpand and fragment, thus giving poor penetration. Sometimes you would see both results in the same shooting incident.

I wouldn't by choice use 9mm Hydrashock for anything more dangerous than shooting at coyotes.

GeorgiaBoy
07-09-11, 23:46
I currently use Speer Golt Dot 124 gr. +P....

Functions well in my Gen 4 Glock 19.

jenrick
07-11-11, 01:02
Carry what runs. Spend the rest of your time at the range working on your shooting. Shoot placement trumps the ballistics of an individual bullet every time.

-Jenrick

SWATcop556
07-11-11, 05:19
Carry what runs. Spend the rest of your time at the range working on your shooting. Shoot placement trumps the ballistics of an individual bullet every time.

-Jenrick

While this is great info for new shooters, John is an experienced trigger puller and knows that shot placement trumps ballistics.

That being said my dept issues the Winchester 127 +P+ and it has performed well. I've shot cases of this stuff with no adverse affects on any of my Glocks. I'm also very religious about changing out my springs. It would serve you well.

Jim D
07-11-11, 09:53
Been carrying 147gr HST for a while.

It's not noticably snappier, like shooting WWB at the range and carrying +P+ Corbon or anything. It shoots soft for me, has shown to be an acceptable load, and isn't too flashy at night.