PDA

View Full Version : need help: 300 win mag

l3mon
07-08-11, 07:30
Let me preface by saying i have limited internet access where i am, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

i cant spend hours researching, but i'm looking for a long range rifle in 300 win mag, preferably semi-auto with a large detachable magazine, say 10 rounds or more if possible.. thanks in advance guys!!

Gutshot John
07-08-11, 08:03
The question is kind of vague to be answered properly.

What is it about the .300WM that you like better than non-magnums or even say a WSM? There aren't many semi-auto magnums.

I guess what I'm asking is what are your needs for the gun to be able to do? Bench? Field? Prone shooting? Target? Hunting? Sniping?

l3mon
07-08-11, 09:24
kind of an all-purpose rifle, and i like the 300 magnum cause of the availability of ammo and the ballistics, and range..

QuietShootr
07-08-11, 09:26
kind of an all-purpose rifle, and i like the 300 magnum cause of the availability of ammo and the ballistics, and range..

Have you ever even fired a .300 Magnum?

l3mon
07-08-11, 09:36
Have you ever even fired a .300 Magnum?

as of yet no.. but how is that helpful?

Gutshot John
07-08-11, 09:38
The only three, relatively common, semi-autos .300WM I can think of are Benelli, BAR and I think Winchester has one.

All of them are hunting rifles so none of them are hi-cap magazines and I'd bet additional magazines are pricey and in general I know nothing at all about them.

If you've got a lot of coin (I do mean a lot of coin not to mention the problem of actually finding one for sale) I think the WA2000 came in .300WM though they're mostly collector pieces and I've no idea how many are actually in the states.

I'd maybe consider a bolt gun your options are much greater for that caliber and the .300WM lends itself more to bolt guns. The .300WSM or SAUM might give you more options in semi-auto.

Alternatively if you're not wedded to .300WM, I'd perhaps look at 8mm, I think they're making an M-14 variant as well as the Yugo Zastava rifle.

l3mon
07-08-11, 09:46
The only three, relatively common, semi-autos .300WM I can think of are Benelli, BAR and I think Winchester has one.

All of them are hunting rifles so none of them are hi-cap magazines and I'd bet additional magazines are pricey and in general I know nothing at all about them.

If you've got a lot of coin (I do mean a lot of coin not to mention the problem of actually finding one for sale) I think the WA2000 came in .300WM though they're mostly collector pieces and I've no idea how many are actually in the states.

I'd maybe consider a bolt gun your options are much greater for that caliber and the .300WM lends itself more to bolt guns. The .300WSM or SAUM might give you more options in semi-auto.

Alternatively if you're not wedded to .300WM, I'd perhaps look at 8mm, I think they're making an M-14 variant as well as the Yugo Zastava rifle.

awesome john, thanks for giving me a start!

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-08-11, 13:11
I have a few more options for you. The Cobb Multi cal rifle, Armalite AR10 in 300 SAUM, and then there are these link below.

http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

http://www.rndrifles.com/firearms/

http://www.cheytac.com/

These are not linked direct to a specific weapon you will have to search there sites. I dont have any first hand experience with anything I just linked or mentioned.

Alpha Sierra
07-08-11, 21:14

Never mind......go get whatever you want. I'm sure it will make you look like an ace.

Suwannee Tim
07-09-11, 07:32

You may find the 300 magnum is not as much fun to shoot as you imagine, especially in a rifle weighing less than 10 pounds.

I really thought this thread was going to be a waste of bandwidth until I saw this (http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp) which I did not know existed. Pretty cool. To bad I spend my last $10K of mad money keeping my stepdaughter's husband out of jail. I figured it was cheaper to do that than to raise his kids.:mad: He's going to pay me back.:confused: Maybe then I'll buy one.

l3mon
07-09-11, 13:30
Never mind......go get whatever you want. I'm sure it will make you look like an ace.

theres a reason i placed a ? at the end of my sentence, as in i was honestly asking why that was significant.. i've read that the 300WM has a lot of recoil but i dont know from first hand..

ryan
07-09-11, 13:38
I have had 2 300 Win Mags both Browning A-Bolts. One kicked like a 308, I bought it used and the previous owner had installed a nice muzzle break. The other, and I am not sensitive to recoil, kicked like a broke dick mule. Obviously a bull barrel "tactical" style rifle would not be that bad, but an 8 pound skinny barrel hunting rifle has major pop on both ends.

Anchor Zero Six
07-09-11, 22:29
What you seek is made by Walther the WA2000 they go for around30K when they do come up for sale which is almost never.

Cobb was bought by Bushmaster and hasnt done squat with the MCR so yer SOL there as well.

Honestly 300WM should stay in a bolt platform. Which is more important to you semi auto or a heavy Long range round?

If you are more concerned about the round then look at bolt actions in 300WM and 338LM not much difference in price of the rifles but significant in cost of ammo.

If you are hell bent on a gas gun you cant go wrong with an LMT MWS and several caliber choices can be had for it from cutom smiths as well as from LMT.

In a nutshell we need more infor as to what the application would be.

Gutshot John
07-10-11, 10:08
I couldn't have said it better myself...oh wait I did.:sarcastic:

l3mon
07-10-11, 11:23
after doing some research i think i'm going to have to go bolt-action, looking specifically at the armalite, but at 12lbs and 48" long.. but the price tag is where i'd want it.. and yeah i lol'd at the wa2000..

Gutshot John
07-10-11, 11:28
I'd consider a Remmy 700...a good deal lighter than 12 lbs and significantly cheaper than the Armalite.

DMR
07-11-11, 10:12
I had my Savage .300WM out to the range this weekend to try out the new Surefire MB762-401R (http://www.surefire.com/MB762-401R-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter) muzzle brake I had installed. It's a "Precision" rig and weighs about 13lbs with optic. Before the brake it jumped alot when shot off the bipod, enough that I couldn't self spot. Now it is more well behaved and I can now self spot. Noone else was on the range to tell me how loud or blasty the MB762 was, from the shooters perspective I didn't notice any change.

I just picked up a "spare" use Savage 110 LE in .300WM for something like $440. If you're willing to look at a Savage check on out also. I have not had it out to the range yet, still figuring out what stock I'm going to put it in.

Anchor Zero Six
07-13-11, 10:25
Armalight isnt a go to name in precision long range rifles.

Get a Rem 700 5R and a quality optic. Next either invest in ammo or reloading gear.

Once you figure out how to drive the rifle you can change out the stock and other items you may not like. I would advise against changing too much at first as you will learn by trigger time what you like and disslike about the rifle.

Savage makes a great rifle BUT the 700 is the action the bulk of custom smiths work on and a platform that offers the most options in the way of aftermarket drop in upgrades.

mstennes
07-13-11, 14:23
A friend of mine just got a TRG42 in 300 Win Mag, as he wanted more than my TRG in 308, it wasnt that bad, but when he poined up and bought the muzzle break, it now kicks less than my 308. I also like that you can get extra mags, and bipod, sure their accessories are as expensive as hell, but you buy over time its not to bad.

Anchor Zero Six
07-14-11, 11:51
As of right now they are only offering a 308 version but rumor is the 300WM and 338 versions are in the works. http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/index.php
Allows use of AI magazines in TRG, AI mags are much less expensive and way easier to find.

As for the bipod, its cool but not as functional as an ATLAS. You can add a pic rail to the anshutz(sp?) rail on the bottom of the TRG or wait a wee bit longer untill Kasey releases the TRG ATLAS adapter that will mount to the factory bipod socket.

Many other accessories such as Pic Rails, brakes etc that are not factory Sako that are much less expensive than the OEM TRG stuff.

B Cart
07-14-11, 12:52
I had my Savage .300WM out to the range this weekend to try out the new Surefire MB762-401R (http://www.surefire.com/MB762-401R-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter) muzzle brake I had installed.

I have the same gun in 300WM, and I really want to put a muzzle break on it. How much did it run you to have that done if you don’t mind my asking?

DMR
07-14-11, 22:13
I have the same gun in 300WM, and I really want to put a muzzle break on it. How much did it run you to have that done if you don’t mind my asking?

I had it installed by American Precision Arms (americanprecisionarms.com) that ironicly AAC recommended to me when I was looking at one of their brakes. It was something like $150. It's normaly $125, but the Surefire called for some contoring of the barrel. Turn around was quick and I'm very happy with the work and the brake. They also cut the barrel back from 26" so it would be 26" with the brake at no extra charge.

Sorry I don't have any photos right now. Jerad at APA was great to deal with. I had to order the brake direct from Surefire. Surefire qouted it would be about 45 days because they would have to make it, but I had it in about 10 days.

B Cart
07-14-11, 23:41
I had it installed by American Precision Arms (americanprecisionarms.com) that ironicly AAC recommended to me when I was looking at one of their brakes. It was something like $150. It's normaly $125, but the Surefire called for some contoring of the barrel. Turn around was quick and I'm very happy with the work and the brake. They also cut the barrel back from 26" so it would be 26" with the brake at no extra charge.

Sorry I don't have any photos right now. Jerad at APA was great to deal with. I had to order the brake direct from Surefire. Surefire qouted it would be about 45 days because they would have to make it, but I had it in about 10 days.

Awesome thanks for the reply! This was good timing because I've been thinking the last week or two that I really want to get a muzzle break installed. As you know, a light gun in 300WM kicks like a freakin mule! I love how accurate it is, but 20 rounds in one sitting with no muzzle break is enough to make you think twice about going back... :eek:

Jake'sDad
08-19-11, 17:56
You may find the 300 magnum is not as much fun to shoot as you imagine, especially in a rifle weighing less than 10 pounds.

I really thought this thread was going to be a waste of bandwidth until I saw this (http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp) which I did not know existed. Pretty cool. To bad I spend my last $10K of mad money keeping my stepdaughter's husband out of jail. I figured it was cheaper to do that than to raise his kids.:mad: He's going to pay me back.:confused:

I wouldn't sit waiting for the postman.....

Been there...done that....

Jfkudla
08-19-11, 20:02
I really thought this thread was going to be a waste of bandwidth until I saw this (http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp) which I did not know existed. Pretty cool.

This is pure awesomeness.