PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight budget RDS needed!

ARPATRIOT
07-08-11, 07:32
After dumping much money into my gun,i still need an optic.Not much to spend at this point,i figure a "mid-grade" RDS is better than nothing for now.Looking at a PA micro with the American Defense mount,or maybe the SPARC?If i could spend more i'd get either an Aimpoint micro or EoTech XPS series.The gun is a 16" AR with Centurion C4 fixed sights.Any info/advise for this combo would be great.

wahoo95
07-08-11, 07:46
Both options you listed would work just fine, however you should look to upgrade to a real Aimpoint at some point if this is to be a serious use rifle.

Another idea would be to just rock your irons while you save the extra money for a better optic.....buy once, cry once. Buying a cheaper optic first will cost you mote money in the end. Your rifle is perfectly functional with irons.

Why'd you choose to go with the Centurion sights.....just curious?

ARPATRIOT
07-08-11, 10:54
Why'd you choose to go with the Centurion sights.....just curious?

They get on target FAST,always ready,great quality and they look cool too!
EDIT-And they were only $190-shipped NEW!

nimdabew
07-08-11, 11:18
Shoot irons for now, get an XPS or R-1 for 350ish.

I wish I knew someone with the Centurion sight sso I could shoot with them a bit. They sound interesting but don't look like they offer anything different that regular AR irons don't. Haven't tried them though.

ARPATRIOT
07-08-11, 11:34
As far as the XPS EoTech's,is there one model that most go for?I don't need a NV model,and really like the circle/dot reticle.

m4gery
07-09-11, 08:36
Instead of spending 190 on a lower quality optic, save for a couple more months and get a $400 Aimpoint Pro.

rob_s
07-09-11, 08:39
The best "lightweight inexpensive" sighting system is iron sights. Can't comment on the ones you have as I haven't used them, but if you're finding that they "get on target fast" I'm not sure what else a red dot, cheap or otherwise, will do for you.

Eric
07-09-11, 09:25
As far as the XPS EoTech's,is there one model that most go for?I don't need a NV model,and really like the circle/dot reticle.
EOTech XPS2-0 Holosight, about $440.

LonghunterCO
07-09-11, 13:38
I am going to dog pile on here. Shoot your fast irons. Spend your "Mid-grade RDS" money on ammo.

ARPATRIOT
07-09-11, 13:49
I am going to dog pile on here. Shoot your fast irons. Spend your "Mid-grade RDS" money on ammo.

I know you can never have too much ammo,but i've got pleanty for now ;).

ucrt
07-09-11, 13:55
After dumping much money into my gun,i still need an optic.Not much to spend at this point,i figure a "mid-grade" RDS is better than nothing for now.Looking at a PA micro with the American Defense mount,or maybe the SPARC?If i could spend more i'd get either an Aimpoint micro or EoTech XPS series.The gun is a 16" AR with Centurion C4 fixed sights.Any info/advise for this combo would be great.

=======================================

What kind of AR did you get?
Just wondering...

A-Bear680
07-09-11, 15:22

If you intend to use the AR for anything like home defense:

- Get a Surefire and a decent mount . If you have rail , Vltor Offset.

- Get some home defense ammo that at least doesn't suck . The search feature is your best friend , but PRVI 75grn OTM Match is cheaper than Federal or Black Hills. It's not " just as good " , but it is cheaper. Get enough to test your gun & your defense mag's.

- Save up for an Aimpoint C3 . Searchs will tell you why in detail. Consider a canti mount. LaRue used to be the short answer , but there some other good choices available now.

ONEmanWOLFpack
07-09-11, 16:24

^^^This! Also try to hit up the slightly used stuff in the equipment exchange...

mkmckinley
07-09-11, 16:29
Instead of spending 190 on a lower quality optic, save for a couple more months and get a $400 Aimpoint Pro.

This.

ARPATRIOT
07-09-11, 17:33
Scored a good deal on a new EXPS series EoTech.I just posted pics/details about my build for those who were asking about it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1043326#post1043326