PDA

View Full Version : Subcompact pistols

NewLife2626
07-08-11, 09:31
Can you guys recomend me a good realieable subcompact in 9mm.

Whtwolf14
07-08-11, 09:33
G26....

But I ditched it when I learned that it doesn't conceal any better than my G19. However it made a great BUG riding on my ankle.

Hogsgunwild
07-08-11, 10:02
H&K P2000SK is another good, reliable sub-compact.

I am a bit faster with the Glock 26's trigger but prefer the H&K slightly since I shoot it more accurately. Just my experience.

I also prefer the mid-sized platforms such as the P2000 and G19 / G23s over the sub-compacts after carrying both over the years.
Anymore, if I go smaller than a mid-size, it is my Rohrbaugh R9 in my front pocket.

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-08-11, 10:28
You'll get the most aftermarket support with the Glock 26. You should be able to find a holster for all occasions and sights you like. Check out summitgunbroker, Aimsurplus, CDNN ect... for a deal on a police trade in.

I started back to carrying a Glock 27 about a year ago. For me it does conceal a little better because the grip doesn't stick out as far. YMMV.

Mike169
07-08-11, 10:52
This is difficult to say, because I have gun ADD and buy and sell guns constantly, but I don't think I'll ever part with my Glock 26.

It conceals better than my Gen4 Glock 19, simply because I find the grip texture uncomfortable for IWB. I also like that I have more options with the G26. Depending on what I'm wearing, I can use my +2 mag or my Gap floorplate. Makes the G26 two different guns IMHO..

glockeyed
07-08-11, 11:04
look at the Kahr line of subs. but their triggers are more revolver like. loooong double action.

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 11:06
Another vote for the Glock 26.

I EDC a G27 most warm months of the year and wear one on my vest as an on-duty backup weapon. Can't beat the reliability, simplicity, firepower and accuracy of these little weapons.

Pistol Shooter
07-08-11, 12:06
I've been extremely pleased with the accuracy and reliability of both my HK P2000SK and Walther PPS.

sgtjosh
07-08-11, 13:33
Can you guys recomend me a good realieable subcompact in 9mm.

For off duty carry, I use a HK P2000sk in .40S&W. The 9mm is the same size. I shoot the same qualification course with it as I do with my full size on-duty P2000. This includes shots at 25 yards. The recoil is certainly manageable. It is reliable. It conceals well. There are sever trigger variants available. There is a good variety of leather available. HK builds a quality product.

Nephrology
07-08-11, 13:34
I like the G26. Conceals better than the 19 on my hip. Some people tend to disagree.

HuttoAg96
07-08-11, 13:48
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but I really liked my Ruger SR9c once they worked the kinks out (primarily, a stronger striker spring due to occasional light strikes...)

Not a great trigger, but decent, and you can get it down to 4.5-5lbs with a Ghost Rocket or something similar.

The downside is there aren't a whole lot of accessories for those, which is one reason I switched to an M&P full size for competition purposes. The slide on the ruger is noticeably thinner though, and it is really easy to conceal under a tshirt.

Abraxas
07-08-11, 13:58
PPS is what I would recommend

Grizzly16
07-08-11, 14:26
I'll vote for the g26. I EDC the g27 with the exact same gun basically and love it.

wahoo95
07-08-11, 14:29
There are many great options available and you should try them before making a decision based on what everyone else has. What shoots great in my hand my not handle well in yours....know what I mean.

Here's a list of quality choices to check out in no particular order:
S&W M&P9c
Glock 26
Kahr PM9, MK9, K9, P9
Walther PPS
Springfield XD9c
H&K P2000sk
Ruger LC9

RiggerGod
07-08-11, 15:23
G-26 is an easy and awesome choice. They shoot great and carry pretty good. Not the smallest of weapons though. Never even had hiccup.
The wife's got a PM9. Much smaller but the 6+1 capacity doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.

skyugo
07-08-11, 18:08
nothing wrong with the glock 26, but with a nice low riding holster a g19 conceals just as well.
my current thinking on really small but effective guns centers on little 38 special revolvers. your mileage may vary.
again, the g26 is a hell of a gun, and if you think it carries better than a g19, by all means buy one. it's a great shooting pistol and very reliable.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 18:40
nothing wrong with the glock 26, but with a nice low riding holster a g19 conceals just as well.
my current thinking on really small but effective guns centers on little 38 special revolvers. your mileage may vary.
again, the g26 is a hell of a gun, and if you think it carries better than a g19, by all means buy one. it's a great shooting pistol and very reliable.

+1

I find with very few exceptions, if one can conceal a G26 the same will be true of a G19. The G26 is only slightly more concealable but the G19 would be substantially better in a fight. If I truly required something smaller than my G19 it would be the Kahr PM9.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-08-11, 18:52
The G26 DOES conceal BETTER than the G19. The G19 is easily concealable, but the 26 is smaller overall, and thus easier to hide. I love my 19 and 26, but the 26 is easier for carry.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01656.jpg

bubba04
07-08-11, 20:04
Hk p7 would be an option. A tad larger dimensions then g26, but thinner with a longer barrel.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 20:18
LSHD, what is that mag extention you've got on your 26?

blackboar
07-08-11, 21:10
What do you currently shoot? Lots of people are giving out answers to some great subcompacts, but what is your primary?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-08-11, 21:55
LSHD, what is that mag extention you've got on your 26?

Brother, thats the GAP Baseplate. It radically changes the feel of the G26 and makes it so much more controllable.

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/products.html

Triple7
07-08-11, 21:56
Glock 26 is great, a little small for my hands but a great one.
Px4 is another that is nice. I like the striker fire guns better, but this is sweet. Fits better in the hands for sure.

rocket
07-08-11, 22:16
I'll second the P7 suggestion. With the right rig, it's an excellent choice...IMHO the safest, most accurate 9mm with an outstanding trigger for carry.

Web Architect
07-08-11, 22:23
I like the PPS more and more, for for the ultimate in 9mm concealabilty, I agree with HogsGunWild: Rohrbaugh R9. It's expensive, but in a league of it's own.

obucina
07-08-11, 22:27
Brother, thats the GAP Baseplate. It radically changes the feel of the G26 and makes it so much more controllable.

i got a set of Magpul Speedplates for my G27 today. Im going to try them out and it looks like Ill order a set of GAP plates too, they look interesting.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 22:49

Thanks Bro, I’m liking those a lot better than others I’ve used. Still very low profile.

Hogsgunwild
07-08-11, 23:36
Yes, the Walther PPS is great if you would like something thinner than the G26. The .40 PPS that I owned shot and felt like a Glock, trigger and all. It was reliable as well. I only got rid of it because my trusty Defender was not much bigger than the PPS yet maintained consistency with the rest of my carry 1911s, so, I decided that I didn't need both.

I like the Way the Kahr PM9 shoots as well for a light single stack.

I need a H&K P7. Don't know if I have ever heard of a pistol getting such consistently high praise. It really has a cult like following.

hk45ctp30
07-09-11, 01:31
I've carried the Glock 26 and 27 over the years concealed, but finally got an HK P2000SK and I feel the HK is much better, both in fit and finish. Plus I shoot it much better, which is all that counts when the chips are down!

Magic_Salad0892
07-09-11, 04:03
There are clear winners when it comes to best concealable 9x19mm pistols:

Kahr PM9/CM9
Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth
H&K P7 PSP
Walther PPS.

Everybody else is lightyears behind.

The Glock 26 is my honorable mention. But only if I had to deep conceal in Iraq or something.

SiGfever
07-09-11, 08:02
In hot weather this Kahr PM9 is my CCW.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7789/img1013medium5zh.jpg

But my main CCW is a P2000SK LEM V2 (now light V1) in .40 S&W . The quality of construction is amazing. It is not only a tack driver, but it is a pleasure to shoot.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8576/img15642large.jpg

skyugo
07-09-11, 10:32
I'll second the P7 suggestion. With the right rig, it's an excellent choice...IMHO the safest, most accurate 9mm with an outstanding trigger for carry.

I love my p7, but sadly i have to admit it does nothing that a glock 19 can't do. well, other than allow for safe holster free carry, or just be tossed into a bag... That's my current justification for keeping mine... bottom line is i love shooting it and looking at it. but the glock 19 gets 90% of my carry.

BamaM4
07-09-11, 11:50
Kel-tec P11, although, my EDC is .380, the P11 stays in my vehicle.

obucina
07-09-11, 11:51
I love my p7, but sadly i have to admit it does nothing that a glock 19 can't do. well, other than allow for safe holster free carry, or just be tossed into a bag... That's my current justification for keeping mine... bottom line is i love shooting it and looking at it. but the glock 19 gets 90% of my carry.

i almost pulled the trigger on a P7 last week. One of the big vendors at the gun show had five of them for sale for $599. Some were SS finished, others were black and OD.

Lost River
07-09-11, 12:26
The G26 DOES conceal BETTER than the G19. The G19 is easily concealable, but the 26 is smaller overall, and thus easier to hide. I love my 19 and 26, but the 26 is easier for carry.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01656.jpg

Well since we have established that the baseplates are Gaps, what brand of holster is that and what is your overall opinion of it?

How much time have you spent wearing it?

Knowing what you know now, would you opt for a leather rig such as a Sparks rig, or stick with this same kydex rig?

Thanks in advance,
LR

skyugo
07-09-11, 22:54
i almost pulled the trigger on a P7 last week. One of the big vendors at the gun show had five of them for sale for $599. Some were SS finished, others were black and OD.

probably the most interesting pistol in the world that's reliable and useful.
I've considered getting mine refinished, but the worn plum blueing just has too much character...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rp5v00.jpg

RiggerGod
07-09-11, 22:58
It certainly looks like the safest pistol in the world! :lol:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-09-11, 23:17
Well since we have established that the baseplates are Gaps, what brand of holster is that and what is your overall opinion of it?

Thats a Secret City K25. It can be setup for either IWB or OWB. If you wear a pistol between 4 and 5 o'clock, then this is the kydex option for you. It has a serious cant to it which makes for easy conceal-ability. Its well made, the loops are high quality, and it looks fantastic. The purveyor of said K25 holster is "Seraph", a member of this forum. I really like it.

How much time have you spent wearing it?

I havent had alot of time wearing a K25 (I have two) because I only carry when Im back in CO. I'd say Ive carried it for a total of about 1 month, so take it for what its worth.

Knowing what you know now, would you opt for a leather rig such as a Sparks rig, or stick with this same kydex rig?

I prefer Kydex for my Glock's. Its just a personal thing, but I like a rigid material around the trigger. A VMII for a nicer pistol would be great, but my Glock is simply a tool.

Thanks in advance,
LR

My answers are in red.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01657.jpg

andy t
07-09-11, 23:40
I actually bought a P7 and promptly sold it the next day.
Here are my thoughts on it:
It is an interesting system, but rather archaic and old. It is very heavy for what you get in terms of number of rounds.
The manual of arms is very unique and may causes issues if you are used to other guns.
Magazines are expensive.
To get the right holster expect to spend at least 150. 200-300 is not unheard of.
The slide was cutting into the web of my hand due to my high grip.

Currently, my main carry is Kahr PM9. I am also thinking of picking up the larger steel version of it. I also have Glock 19 and 26. However, it's much easier slipping the Kahr into my pocket and heading out.

RagweedZulu
07-10-11, 00:03
probably the most interesting pistol in the world that's reliable and useful.
I've considered getting mine refinished, but the worn plum blueing just has too much character...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rp5v00.jpg

You've gotta love all these H&K photo screwup tributes! Hi-larious.

skyugo
07-10-11, 23:54
You've gotta love all these H&K photo screwup tributes! Hi-larious.

when i first picked that gun up i posted a photo with the bullets in the mag the right way.. i was so angry with myself :o

but yeah.. the p7... awesome, not for everyone, and kind of expensive for parts and mags. I just needed something interesting with all the glocks i had around. I hope i never sell it.