PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 Appendix Carry?

Mike169
07-08-11, 10:45
I'm thinking about giving appendix carry a try, and wanted to get your thoughts on whether the G26 was too big for that?

I generally carry IWB at around 4:00, I'm honestly not sold on the idea that appendix is all that comfortable, I can forsee it digging into my leg when I'm sitting down just like my duty mag pouch. With that said, I know a lot of people swear by it and I wanted to get everyone's opinion..

I'd also like to hear some recommendations on holsters for this purpose.

40Arpent
07-08-11, 10:56
Can you not experiment without a holster?

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 10:57
I use the Galco Tuck & Go to carry a G27 almost daily in the oppressive summer heat. I carry appendix anytime it's in an IWB holster and I find it IDEAL!
1) I can check that the weapon is concealed at any time. A slight touch in that area confirms the cover garment is still covering. Bending,sitting and reaching while wearing Small of the Back used to pull a shirt up, leaving a pistol exposed if I wasn't careful.

2) Fast into action. I mean, it's right there where your hands are hanging anyway. Practice getting under your shirt with one and two hands and you're GTG.

3) Comfortable. At least with my build, it's the most comfortable place I've ever carried a subcompact. I dont feel it there when walking and moving around and for some reason that location just conceals 100% on me. A pistol rides completely unnoticed. The only time it MIGHT be a pain is jumping up in the truck and sitting in general. I usually just reach down and give it a slight tilt, pointing the muzzle inward so that the whole package rides in the natural depression in your lap. Some guys get freaked out about having a muzzle pointed at their junk all day, but anyone who practices safe carry won't have to worry. Standard IWB and even holster carry points a muzzle at your femoral artery quite often, so just use some dang caution and you'll be fine!

By the way, I often carry a Glock 23, 22 and a 30 in this same location and have never had a problem.

Mike169
07-08-11, 10:58
Can you not experiment without a holster?

I suppose I could, but I'd rather carry it around for a day.. Maybe I'll go get one of those generic uncle mike's "gym sock with a clip" holsters..

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 11:00
Forgot to address the duty mag pouch...

I wear mine off-side but horizontally with the pouch openings pointed outward, toward my hip. Since the academy I've practiced a karate-chop style swipe to break open the snap and draw a magazine and it works perfectly. Most officers I work with mount them this way. Only those skinny little bastards can mount theirs up and down.

one
07-08-11, 11:09
If anything it's a little too small for appendix carry. The short barrel on it will make it easier for the gun to lean outward above the belt line. In that old appendix carry thread it was noted that people carrying shorter barrel guns such as the 26 would be better off using slightly longer holsters, such as for the 19.

That was my experience over the years as well.

Mike169
07-08-11, 11:09
Forgot to address the duty mag pouch...

I wear mine off-side but horizontally with the pouch openings pointed outward, toward my hip. Since the academy I've practiced a karate-chop style swipe to break open the snap and draw a magazine and it works perfectly. Most officers I work with mount them this way. Only those skinny little bastards can mount theirs up and down.

Yeah I switched to horizontal about a year ago, I also prefer it that way. My mags are pointed towards my buckle though, nose down, for me it's just a more natural draw..

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 11:17
Yeah I switched to horizontal about a year ago, I also prefer it that way. My mags are pointed towards my buckle though, nose down, for me it's just a more natural draw..

Good to go. As long as you can make a lightning fast reload, you're set. Be safe out there bro.

And as for the tilting issue, I use that Galco and it's barely longer than the muzzle of my G27. It sits low enough inside the waistband that there's no tilting problems but the grip is still right there waiting for action. No digging, no tilting.

Mike169
07-08-11, 11:19
Good to go. As long as you can make a lightning fast reload, you're set. Be safe out there bro.

And as for the tilting issue, I use that Galco and it's barely longer than the muzzle of my G27. It sits low enough inside the waistband that there's no tilting problems but the grip is still right there waiting for action. No digging, no tilting.

You too!

I'll give that galco a try, pretty cheap too.. Thanks for the input!

RagweedZulu
07-08-11, 11:27
I love mine. It gets carried about 98% of the time in warm weather. And cheap. I used to use one of the Uncle Mike's "sock with a clip" and it worked, but I wasn't crazy about the lack of structural integrity. For $23 bucks you can have a nice leather rig that fits most of your weapons.

And although it's designed to work with a belt, I never wear a belt off-duty and the little J clip holds the waistband of my shorts very securely.

Grizzly16
07-08-11, 12:54
I appendix carry my g27 in a mikes "sock with clip" quite a bit with no problems.

dookie1481
07-08-11, 16:48
I'm 5'5" and I carry a full-size M&P everyday. I find it infinitely more comfortable than strong-side carry. Opinions vary.

If you try it, do so with a good holster that is designed for appendix carry.

titsonritz
07-08-11, 18:06
I'm thinking about giving appendix carry a try, and wanted to get your thoughts on whether the G26 was too big for that?

The G26 is definitely not too large. I successfully carry a G19 AIWB often with just a T-shirt.

I generally carry IWB at around 4:00, I'm honestly not sold on the idea that appendix is all that comfortable, I can forsee it digging into my leg when I'm sitting down just like my duty mag pouch. With that said, I know a lot of people swear by it and I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

I use to carry a leather strong side IWB but have switched 100% to Kydex AIWB without any ill comfort issues. I have taken 10-12 hour road trips without discomfort. I have also worn it for extended periods of time like 48 hours, including sleeping with it on without issue. A couple of things will create discomfort with AIWB. First being a Buddha belly, a hanging gut will push the pistol’s butt outward forcing the muzzle end to dig in. Second the muzzle end must be at or above the hip/leg crease, if below it will dig in when sitting down. Regarding sitting, the length of barrel plays a big role here, I am 5’9 and have no problem with a G19, a G17 is pushing it, but doable and forget a 5” 1911. Someone 6’2 may be OK, I’m not. Since the leg crease angles down toward the center of the body, the closer to 12 o’clock you get the more space you’ll have, likewise further from 12 o’clock will result in the less space. A slight reverse cant will help compensate moving the weapon off centerline. One final thing regarding comfort, give it some time. Don’t give up on it right away because it feels uncomfortable or awkward which it is most likely to be at first. You will need to play with it a bit to find YOUR sweet spot. For you it might be 1 o’clock with a straight drop, for someone else it may be 2 o’clock with a reverse cant, you just have to mess with it.

I'd also like to hear some recommendations on holsters for this purpose.

You definitely want a holster specifically designed for this mode of carry. I highly recommend Dale Fricke’s Archangel. There are a couple of leather options I have been considering on checking out but am so pleaded with the Archangel there is no rush. One other thing I would suggest is (unless you are real short) even though you intend to pack a G26 get a G19 holster. Glocks are butt heavy and with the short barrel an AIWB tends to want to roll-over forward and out a bit on the belt, the longer G19 will help prevent this from happening, plus it will give the added advantage of packing a 19/23 should you desire.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/

Personally I am glad I made the switch to AIWB and see no reason to go back to IWB.

Hizzie
07-08-11, 21:59
The G26 is definitely not too large. I successfully carry a G19 AIWB often with just a T-shirt.

I use to carry a leather strong side IWB but have switched 100% to Kydex AIWB without any ill comfort issues. I have taken 10-12 hour road trips without discomfort. I have also worn it for extended periods of time like 48 hours, including sleeping with it on without issue. A couple of things will create discomfort with AIWB. First being a Buddha belly, a hanging gut will push the pistol’s butt outward forcing the muzzle end to dig in. Second the muzzle end must be at or above the hip/leg crease, if below it will dig in when sitting down. Regarding sitting, the length of barrel plays a big role here, I am 5’9 and have no problem with a G19, a G17 is pushing it, but doable and forget a 5” 1911. Someone 6’2 may be OK, I’m not. Since the leg crease angles down toward the center of the body, the closer to 12 o’clock you get the more space you’ll have, likewise further from 12 o’clock will result in the less space. A slight reverse cant will help compensate moving the weapon off centerline. One final thing regarding comfort, give it some time. Don’t give up on it right away because it feels uncomfortable or awkward which it is most likely to be at first. You will need to play with it a bit to find YOUR sweet spot. For you it might be 1 o’clock with a straight drop, for someone else it may be 2 o’clock with a reverse cant, you just have to mess with it.

You definitely want a holster specifically designed for this mode of carry. I highly recommend Dale Fricke’s Archangel. There are a couple of leather options I have been considering on checking out but am so pleaded with the Archangel there is no rush. One other thing I would suggest is (unless you are real short) even though you intend to pack a G26 get a G19 holster. Glocks are butt heavy and with the short barrel an AIWB tends to want to roll-over forward and out a bit on the belt, the longer G19 will help prevent this from happening, plus it will give the added advantage of packing a 19/23 should you desire.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/

Personally I am glad I made the switch to AIWB and see no reason to go back to IWB.

My experience as well. Same holster/gun combo.

zacii
07-08-11, 22:37
I routinely carry a G23, appendix style, in a Remora No-Clip holster.

It's very comfortable, and conceal-able.

The 26 should be a breeze to carry this way.

titsonritz
07-09-11, 01:05
May be of interest:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17903

Littlelebowski
07-09-11, 06:16
He is talking about AIWB for those that didn't notice. Not small of back. There is no way in hell I would carry AIWB using cheap crap like Galco. Don't cheap out on holsters, folks.

titsonritz
07-09-11, 11:28
He is talking about AIWB for those that didn't notice. Not small of back. There is no way in hell I would carry AIWB using cheap crap like Galco. Don't cheap out on holsters, folks.

+1

Forget SOB, forget Galco, forget cheap holsters.

RagweedZulu
07-09-11, 13:39
I have a box full of high dollar holsters. They're great. But the one I keep coming back to for AIWB of my G27 is my little ol cheap GALCO!

I might not choose them for belt or duty gear, but the little Tuck N Go is a different beast and for this type of carry you don't need an $85 holster.

rathos
07-09-11, 21:44
been carrying my g26 AIWB in a milt sparks summer special 2 for most of the day. Pretty comfy, I even took a nice hour long nap with it on today.

The only issue I have is the handle is a bit small, sometimes makes drawing a bit hard. I tried AIWB with my G17 but it was a little too big, probably because my food blister is a bit too big.