PDA

View Full Version : My SKS and Rasheed Carbine (Pics)

Miami_JBT
07-08-11, 15:30
Below are the two new rifles to my collection. A UAR stamped Egyptian Rasheed Carbine and a Chinese Type 56 SKS Carbine imported by Navy Arms back in the 1980s. The SKS was made in 1968 and the Rasheed was made in the early 1960s. Both are chambered in 7.62x39mm, have ten round magazines, 20 inch barrels, and folding bayonets. That's where the similarities end. Two different rifles built with the same goal but completely different designs.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/I_Hate_George_Lucas/2011-07-08150703.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/I_Hate_George_Lucas/2011-07-08150616.jpg

w3453l
07-10-11, 01:02
How do the Chinese sks compare to the Russian and Yugo? I don't see so much of the Chinese sks over here but it might have something to do with the fact that I'm in CA

Miami_JBT
07-10-11, 04:38
How do the Chinese sks compare to the Russian and Yugo? I don't see so much of the Chinese sks over here but it might have something to do with the fact that I'm in CA

Some of the ChiCom rifles are very nice. Mine is a pretty good build. Some are absolute crap. The later in production the worse they got. By the mid 1980s they were cranking them out as fast as possible for the US market. Mine was made way before the thought of selling to the US ever happened so it's pretty good.

The Yugo and Russians are nice. Out of them all I'd say try an Albanian. They're rare and great quality.

w3453l
07-11-11, 00:15
Yeah a lot of people praise the Chinese ak's and sk's but for some reason, and I don't mean to offend or bash on anyone, there's something about the "made in China" that just gets me. I saw a Chinese sks a while back at a gunshow but I don't remember it being anything to go crazy about. It could have been one of the later production ones. Maybe I just need to take a better look at them. I'll keep an eye out for those Albanian sks's, never seen one or even thought of one. Thanks

Miami_JBT
07-11-11, 11:07
Yeah a lot of people praise the Chinese ak's and sk's but for some reason, and I don't mean to offend or bash on anyone, there's something about the "made in China" that just gets me. I saw a Chinese sks a while back at a gunshow but I don't remember it being anything to go crazy about. It could have been one of the later production ones. Maybe I just need to take a better look at them. I'll keep an eye out for those Albanian sks's, never seen one or even thought of one. Thanks

Most of the early SKS that were imported from China were 100% real military surplus. Milled receivers, all milled parts, etc.... Mine is a mid range production carbine. They started using stamped metal parts for things like the trigger guard. Later on they experimented with stamped sheet metal receivers and started pinning barrels into receivers instead of screwing them in. The later production ones aren't bad.... they're just not as good as the earlier production ones.

The Chinese made AKs are very high quality for AK rifles. The ChiComs might be scum sucking evil bastards but they knew how to build a AK and a SKS. Also back in the 1980s.... these things were CHEAP. I was a small kid then but I remember walking the gun shows with my father and seeing SKS priced at $99 a pop and a 1000rds of Norinco ammo for $50-$70 a pop. Chinese AKs were around the $150-$250 price back then. Yeah, median income was less then today but even then those were cheap prices.

As for the fact that they're made in China.... not an issue to me. The current government over there is evil but the ChiCom guns over here are already sold and they have gotten their money way back then when they were imported. No more are coming in and what is here is here. The SKS Carbines are 100% milsurp and have a interesting connection to the PRC back when Chairman Mao was around and kicking. My Carbine was made during the Cultural Revolution in the JianShe Arsenal that went back to the days of Imperial China in the 1800s. The place where my carbine was made is now making motorcycles and ATVs for Yamaha.

So if you see a deal on a Chinese AK or SKS.... snatch it up. They're aren't anymore coming into the country and our dollars are going to the PRC through other means already. The PC you're using, the night vision gear our soldier use, the Predator Drones used to kill terrorists., etc....

rojocorsa
07-11-11, 11:25
The restrictions that Clinton placed on Russian and Chinese weapons are a real shame. I hate that. No surplus SVDs and even less surplus SVTs. :(

w3453l
07-11-11, 13:58
Most of the early SKS that were imported from China were 100% real military surplus. Milled receivers, all milled parts, etc.... Mine is a mid range production carbine. They started using stamped metal parts for things like the trigger guard. Later on they experimented with stamped sheet metal receivers and started pinning barrels into receivers instead of screwing them in. The later production ones aren't bad.... they're just not as good as the earlier production ones.

The Chinese made AKs are very high quality for AK rifles. The ChiComs might be scum sucking evil bastards but they knew how to build a AK and a SKS. Also back in the 1980s.... these things were CHEAP. I was a small kid then but I remember walking the gun shows with my father and seeing SKS priced at $99 a pop and a 1000rds of Norinco ammo for $50-$70 a pop. Chinese AKs were around the $150-$250 price back then. Yeah, median income was less then today but even then those were cheap prices.

As for the fact that they're made in China.... not an issue to me. The current government over there is evil but the ChiCom guns over here are already sold and they have gotten their money way back then when they were imported. No more are coming in and what is here is here. The SKS Carbines are 100% milsurp and have a interesting connection to the PRC back when Chairman Mao was around and kicking. My Carbine was made during the Cultural Revolution in the JianShe Arsenal that went back to the days of Imperial China in the 1800s. The place where my carbine was made is now making motorcycles and ATVs for Yamaha.

So if you see a deal on a Chinese AK or SKS.... snatch it up. They're aren't anymore coming into the country and our dollars are going to the PRC through other means already. The PC you're using, the night vision gear our soldier use, the Predator Drones used to kill terrorists., etc....

I'll definitely try and look out for them next time I'm at a gunshow. Thanks for all the info