PDA

View Full Version : AirSoft....WOW!

WillBrink
07-08-11, 17:27
I'm really out of the loop it appears. I had no idea airsoft has become such a HUGE thing. I got an email from someone who belongs to a professional airsoft team (yes, fully sponsored and everything) who told me he and his team had been using my P.A.S.T Program to great effect, etc, etc.

I thought that was great, but I also had a WTF moment from it.

Professional teams??!! I had no idea. I recall when airsoft came out, it was generally sh&% on as a silly toy at best. Then some shooters decided it had some potential as a training tool and was incorporated for that use (as I understand it) and seemed to get a pass by shooters if used as one tool in the tool box, etc.

That's as far as my knowledge went, so I started looking around on the net, YT, etc, only to see it appears to have become quite the mega business.

Wow, I had no idea. Not trying to be a hater, but some of them seem to take themselves very seriously.

Hey, if you can actually be sponsored to go play airsoft, more power to you I say.

I don't really "get it." I enjoyed paint ball the few times I did it, but it was not a real firearm, so my interest was not that high. Fun sure, but it's no IDPA, course, or good day at the range, at least for me.

Learn me on airsoft. How did it get so friggin' big and popular without my noticing? Am I the only one who didn't know how big airsoft has become?

Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KNI2LQbPU&feature=related

Two points:

There's tons of vids like this and they get HUGE volume of views.

SteyrAUG
07-08-11, 17:46
Airsoft is still mostly a silly toy.

It lacks the distance and accuracy of even paintball. What makes it more popular is it is less messy. Now there is some legitimate training application. For "in the room" kind of drills it is useful as a training aid.

You can also use it for indoor practice of draws, stance, etc.. The big drawback of course is the POA/POI with most airsoft products will be dramatically different from the POA/POI with actual firearms.

We had some Tokyo Maru MP5 airsofts and we used to practice room clearing drills. It was fun stuff we couldn't do in most places with real MP5s but it didn't make us special forces qualified for anything.

boggyboy72
07-08-11, 19:20
I understand that AirSoft can be used for all the things SteyrAUG said,but when I see a young person with one all I can think is,

"I guess Mommy and Daddy won't let You have a real gun."

I know there are plenty of young guys who are the real deal and could be using them for training.They aren't the ones I'm talking about.

I mean the ones that learned everything they know about guns from CoD.

SteyrAUG
07-08-11, 19:24
I understand that AirSoft can be used for all the things SteyrAUG said,but when I see a young person with one all I can think is,

I know there are plenty of young guys who are the real deal and could be using them for training.They aren't the ones I'm talking about.

I had real guns from the age of about 7 or 8, but if they made airsoft back then I'd have that too. I had toy guns, toy guns are for playing. If my friends and I had airsoft when we played "army" that would have been a dream for us. Somehow caps just didn't quite get it.

Spiffums
07-08-11, 19:42
The good saving grace of Airsoft guns is Force on Force Training without the cost of simutions.

The_War_Wagon
07-08-11, 19:56

Close... ;)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/wigger2.jpg

theblackknight
07-08-11, 20:43
I have written off airsoft because when ever I'm scouting for gear online, all I get is forum posts and pics of REAL eagle ciras vests, mich helmets and eotechs on what I thought is a real sopmod II
Gun. Nope, further reading turns out it some IT guy looking for praise for his finished "DevGru loadout" assembled from hours of internet research and 3000$ worth of real war gear.

Times this by the hundreds of times I've found the same thing. I don't think your alloud to airsoft unless you reseamble a super delta sealsoc para-ranger.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TehLlama
07-08-11, 20:45
There really only is a finite set of training circumstances where airsoft makes sense (urban/MOUT; force on force; draw/no draw LE role playing scenarios) for real training evolutions.

For every other application, a lot of the crowd is the same as the paintball guys, with the added COD flair of dragging a replica M4 through a CTD catalog with a crap magnet. It is what it is.

It's there, and as a business it's great. In non-permissive countries (Japan, where they originated, Britain, Germany, Hungary, Philippines, etc.) it's absolutely huge because mommy state says no guns, so the market for these is huge, and the replicating detail is usually excuisite.

Complain all you want about the stereotype fat airsofting kids, but at least they're not on the couch 24/7, and their conception of gunfighting isn't limited depressing thumbsticks.

boggyboy72
07-08-11, 21:10
Close... ;)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/wigger2.jpg

This is the kind guy I'm talking about.

If You use AirSoft guns to train or just as a toy,that's cool.

But if You are over 18 and want a gun get one.Not a toy.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-08-11, 21:39
You guys are crazy, airsoft is a blast. Not only does it allow you to train in different ways, buts its fun to get a couple of guys together and play a realistic paintball game. Lighten up francis.

mr_smiles
07-08-11, 22:39
I broke down and purchase a couple airsoft guns, a krink clone (use it as a blue gun since I couldn't find any other sources with the weight and moving parts) and a g19. The little g19 is pretty realistic feeling, even the trigger has nearly the same reset and pull. Not a bad little gun for dry firing exercises and gives better feedback than the real thing dry.

No I haven't shot any one with either :p

C-grunt
07-08-11, 23:07
I have a friend with an airsoft M16A2 that is really well built and pretty accurate. If you spend some money on them they are not pieces of crap. My friends airsoft can hit a soda can from a good 50 feet (farthest I have shot it) easy and will actually pierce one side.

I have played around with it at his house with a cardboard box as my bad guy. Its good training inside a house. Just because a lot of idiots use it doesnt make the item worthless. Good airsoft guns are good training and is pretty fun.

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-11, 02:45
Who has time for airsoft? I spend all my time in my mom's basement playing the latest shooter. You know so I can be like the guy's who got OBL. :suicide2:

Travis B
07-09-11, 07:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KNI2LQbPU&feature=related

This is a bit of a tangent, but I noticed a lot of the guys in the videos were crossing their feet when moving laterally. My years of football, basketball and baseball taught me otherwise. Is their movement OK to cross their feet or are they not doing it the best way?

WillBrink
07-09-11, 09:07
I can see using it as a tool in the tool box for working on those skill sets it may be helpful with and in locations where bullet holes are frowned on (per others comments above), and I can even see perhaps a few guys having some fun using it popping some rnds at each other. It's the level of gear and seriousness and size of it all that really blew my mind. Had no idea.

I need to stop concerning myself with the health/fitness/performance of the tactical community, and start working with airsoft teams! :lol:

C-grunt
07-09-11, 09:45
Just like any hobby or game you are gonna have some of the people that go all out. Its the same with paintball too. I like airsoft more than paintball because of the realistic guns and you can get actual capacity mags.

pilotguyo540
07-09-11, 10:23
I bought one for an AMIS class. For $40, it was worth it. Cheap and effective. I felt really dirty when I bought it, like I was doing something morally reprehensible. Great fof trainer. SIMs are much better, but not available to us "citizens."

As far as the "pro's" go, its a bit silly but more power to them. Bell, if I could get paid to play all day, I sure as bell would.

pilotguyo540
07-09-11, 10:32
As for the video, what they are doing has almost zero value if nobody is shooting back. This has TRAINING SCAR written all over it.

Magic_Salad0892
07-09-11, 16:39
I dig it, but I a lot of the AirSoft culture is people being stupid, and 50 year old dudes playing Army.

I had the fortune to play against a group of cops once. That was AWESOME.

El Pistolero
07-09-11, 17:17
I like airsoft because you can get together with your buddies and shoot each other. You just can't do that with real weapons.

On the other hand, the window-lickers that act like idiots ruin it for me sometimes. They give airsoft a bad rap. Airsoft can be just an adult sport as paintball if people were 100% mature about it.

Where I live now, I only play with Airmen and Sailors, and we all use serious guns. I don't play with the locals because it's a frenzy of 12-year-olds running around the jungle with airsoft guns they bought at K-Mart and not calling their hits.

Jellybean
07-09-11, 20:47
I like airsoft because you can get together with your buddies and shoot each other. You just can't do that with real weapons.

On the other hand, the window-lickers that act like idiots ruin it for me sometimes. They give airsoft a bad rap. Airsoft can be just an adult sport as paintball if people were 100% mature about it.
Where I live now, I only play with Airmen and Sailors, and we all use serious guns. I don't play with the locals because it's a frenzy of 12-year-olds running around the jungle with airsoft guns they bought at K-Mart and not calling their hits.

Of course to be fair, some of the wannabe delta-black ops dummys loaded down with a scuba tank, case of paint, Barret .50 replica, and about 200 extra pounds of burger king, as well as whiny 12 year old mommy's boys with their 1200 dollar markers, can really suck the fun out of paintball. So much for it being a more adult sport...:mad:

On the other hand, for the folks running through the jungle- this is why you should play a REAL man's sport like paintball:p - no way to not call your hits, or you get lit up til it hurts. Hell hath no fury like a paintball player who's been cheated on.:lol:

SkiDevil
07-09-11, 21:29
Of course to be fair, some of the wannabe delta-black ops dummys loaded down with a scuba tank, case of paint, Barret .50 replica, and about 200 extra pounds of burger king, as well as whiny 12 year old mommy's boys with their 1200 dollar markers, can really suck the fun out of paintball. So much for it being a more adult sport...:mad:

On the other hand, for the folks running through the jungle- this is why you should play a REAL man's sport like paintball:p - no way to not call your hits, or you get lit up til it hurts. Hell hath no fury like a paintball player who's been cheated on.:lol:

That's funny Shit JellyBean.

I need to go paint balling it has been too long.

You are definitely right about no doubt if you were hit when paint balling. The paint and welts don't lie.:eek:

I like to use odd ball colors too so at the end of the day the guys with my 'color of the day' let me know who I hit on the field. Pink is a good one.

SkiDevil

P.S. Willbrink you are right about the airsoft, some of those 'guns' are pretty cool. I went into a shop a few years ago and most of the air soft rifles looked authentic, except for the mandatory red marked muzzle. The prices were a little ridiculous though.

Travis B
07-09-11, 21:49
P.S. Willbrink you are right about the airsoft, some of those 'guns' are pretty cool. I went into a shop a few years ago and most of the air soft rifles looked authentic, except for the mandatory red marked muzzle. The prices were a little ridiculous though.

And remember, some can even be converted into full-auto M16s!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/exclusive-toy-gun-sold-easily-turned-real-thing/

Don Robison
07-09-11, 21:53
We use it for FOF training because we can't get students to sign up for shooting at each other with Glock 17s. It has it's limitations, but it's a less expensive alternative to simunitions and allows a person to work stuff they otherwise couldn't.
Other than that I don't have much desire to go play war games in the woods with it unless it's my grand kids and then I'll be all over it if they want.

WillBrink
07-10-11, 12:01
except for the mandatory red marked muzzle.

Is it? I believe many manufacture them without any identifying marks they are not real firearms. That troubles me, but of course if one has bad intentions, simply covering/removing identifying marks is easy enough to do, so...

El Pistolero
07-10-11, 20:21
Is it? I believe many manufacture them without any identifying marks they are not real firearms. That troubles me, but of course if one has bad intentions, simply covering/removing identifying marks is easy enough to do, so...

Funny thing about that, I had a Ruger 10/22 in a Muzzelite stock (look up muzzelite if you don't know what it is), and that POS was more toyish than most airsoft guns. If I painted an orange tip on that Ruger and took it to an airsoft game nobody would be none the wiser.

Caeser25
07-10-11, 20:51
I have a pistol that picked up at a flea market for $10 I use for training noobs, antis, non gun friends, my flavor of the month, etc. :D before using real weapons. Little practice, mostly to ingrain, DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER :D

Moose-Knuckle
07-11-11, 02:20
On serious note, I turned my better half onto GLOCKs with a G17 airsoft replica. Had her shoot in the living room in a capture/trap target. Same mechanics as the real deal so IMHO it's on par with dry fire drills.

Smuckatelli
07-11-11, 14:27
On serious note, I turned my better half onto GLOCKs with a G17 airsoft replica. Had her shoot in the living room in a capture/trap target. Same mechanics as the real deal so IMHO it's on par with dry fire drills.

That reminded me...:p

My buddy retired from the FBI a few months ago, I bought him a good bottle of scotch and an Air Soft Sig 226 as a joke about him being a Formal Action Guy......

The Air Soft ended up being his favorite gift......he shoots it in the house using the capture/trap target....

OTO27
07-11-11, 17:35
Nothing beats paintball for a "sport", plus I can shoot pepper balls out of it :D

Watrdawg
07-11-11, 19:51

When I was a kid we had BB Gun wars. I also got my first real gun, a .22Lr, when I was 5. If airsoft guns were around we would have definitely been shooting each with them instead of BB guns. Mommy and Daddy had my 2 brothers and I shooting at a very early age!!

tgace
07-11-11, 20:05
Watch these dudes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJIRgpVExI

NOD's..."tracers"....commo...if I had the money, time and location to play that I have to say I would be tempted. It looks like fun. Not everything has to be so "serious".

Travis B
07-11-11, 20:31
Watch these dudes:

NOD's..."tracers"....commo...if I had the money, time and location to play that I have to say I would be tempted. It looks like fun. Not everything has to be so "serious".

As crappy as airsoft generally is, that looks like it would be a blast!

Let's just hope they don't use the same cover vs. concealment when they go live.

Jellybean
07-11-11, 22:42
I have a pistol that picked up at a flea market for $10 I use for training noobs, antis, non gun friends, my flavor of the month, etc. :D before using real weapons. Little practice, mostly to ingrain, DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER :D

Yes, an airsoft gun will teach you that lesson real quick.
Especially if it's a cheapo one from walmart.
With a hair trigger.
Don't ask me how I know.....:haha:

RWBlue
07-11-11, 22:53
I would like to upgrade my nephew to airsoft. He has a good bit of time with nerf guns.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent Glock26, G19, G17 that will fit a standard holsters?

I am not sure what I want. I assume I want the most realistic gun I can find, but....CO2 or spring or ...?

Oh, yea we need a standard rifle also.

El Pistolero
07-12-11, 00:13
I would like to upgrade my nephew to airsoft. He has a good bit of time with nerf guns.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent Glock26, G19, G17 that will fit a standard holsters?

I am not sure what I want. I assume I want the most realistic gun I can find, but....CO2 or spring or ...?

Oh, yea we need a standard rifle also.

KWA Glocks will fit in standard Blackhawk SERPA holsters. Most brand-name gas airsoft pistols will fit holsters for their respective firearm counterparts. They are propane-powered guns though, they require maintenance so decide how serious your nephew is about maintaining an airsoft gun, otherwise a springer might be a good start. My only airsoft handgun is a WE brand 1911, they are very impressive for the money: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_25_130&products_id=6840

Whatever you do for gas pistols, DON'T get CO2, it will quickly get expensive! Get a propane, or "green gas" gun, prefereably a GBB (gas blow-back) for realism, and then buy a propane adapter that allows you to use the standard Coleman propane cans from the store. Much cheaper and it will pay for itself very quickly. Also buy 100% silicone oil.

Check out airsoft GI, Evike, and Airsoft Atlanta, they are all reputable sites I have purchased from and they are located in the US. Stay away from the overseas shops, often their shipments gets seized going through customs and shipping takes forever, plus customer service is non-existant.

For rifles, the electric guns are the best. Fun, full auto, rechargeable batteries, and relatively maintenance-free. Also upgradeable and customizable, and for M4/G36/MP5/AK variants parts are easy to find should something break or need upgrading.

Brands are hit or miss unless you spend for the good stuff. I have a G&G brand UMP45, very nice gun, shoots 400 FPS and keeps tight groups out to about 50-70 yards (depending on wind), but was expensive, around 300 bucks after buying batteries and extra mags.

Note that 300 dollars is what I consider expensive to me. This is for a top of the line electric airsoft gun and I do get plenty of use out of it. If you are going to spend more you might as well save it for real guns, because airsoft, like anything, is one of those things where you can spend ridiculous amounts of money going apeshit with the latest and greatest and all the gadgets and gizmos. I also own many more real guns than I do airsoft, airsoft is just a hobby so I'm not crazy into it but I do like to buy things once so I went with quality.

Hope this helps, anything else you want to know?

mr_smiles
07-12-11, 00:32
Watch these dudes:

That does look like a blast, well everything but the whining noise of the motors, this thing sounds a bit nicer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRIZa4g2zVM&feature=related

And everyone who talks shit about these kids dressing up in multicam from head 2 toe and playing SOF I just have one question... What's your excuse for it? :lol:

I don't care if you're a 20 year JSOC vet. If you're retired and doing push ups and hitting the bars in the morning and drinking your protein shake and than going down in the basement to research the latest greatest kits you're just as legitimate of a user as a kid in the videos.

It's called a hobby. Unless you're out gun fighting (not "training" in some woods with friends) you really don't need the shit you probably have.

You guys aren't The Omega Man :p That was a bad ass movie, I'll give you guys that.

El Pistolero
07-12-11, 00:36
As long as those kids/guys don't think they are Special Forces qualified and they know it's all just fun and games I don't have a problem with it. There are worse things they could be doing. Airsoft is more fun than FaceBook or Call of Duty, and healthier too, at least you can burn calories running around outdoors.

Magic_Salad0892
07-12-11, 04:26
As long as those kids/guys don't think they are Special Forces qualified and they know it's all just fun and games I don't have a problem with it. There are worse things they could be doing. Airsoft is more fun than FaceBook or Call of Duty, and healthier too, at least you can burn calories running around outdoors.

That video may be hella lame, but it still looks fun. :p

CarlosDJackal
07-13-11, 12:24
The good saving grace of Airsoft guns is Force on Force Training without the cost of simutions.

Or the dangers from it (NOTE: I completed the Simunitions Instructor Safety Course).

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-13-11, 23:59
This is a bit of a tangent, but I noticed a lot of the guys in the videos were crossing their feet when moving laterally. My years of football, basketball and baseball taught me otherwise. Is their movement OK to cross their feet or are they not doing it the best way?

As for the video, what they are doing has almost zero value if nobody is shooting back. This has TRAINING SCAR written all over it.

Is it just me, or were there a lot of muzzle sweeps and general bad 'safety' in the video? I know they aren't real guns, but if you are training, shouldn't you treat them as real. My five year old son has to treat his Nerf guns with the same level of safety as a real gun when I'm around so that he doesn't get bad habits.

Watch these dudes:

Uhm, how well does a Airsoft gun work on a rattlesnake???

WillBrink
10-10-11, 20:56
Had my first airsoft experience this week. I met with some good kids from team Airsoft Panama. They are a sponsored team and meet weekly to train and or compete.

I'm still amazed at the dead on replicas these things are. The blow back m4 felt amazingly close.

One kid had a replica M249, which used larger heavier pellets at 500+ FPS (according to him) and I saw them go through soda cans. Crazy stuff.

I did some very adhoc P.A.S.T type stuff with them, via some sand bags and phone polls they got.

I did have my shot timer, but the "guns" are not loud enough to activate it, so they got the start buzzer, but no times.

Guess I'll have to try it some time, but I don't see myself ever spending real $$$ on such a thing.

TehLlama
11-05-11, 10:25
I'll just leave this here.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/11/04/travis-haley-on-airsoft-x-training/

WillBrink
11-05-11, 10:40
I'll just leave this here.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/11/04/travis-haley-on-airsoft-x-training/

"You're gonna put an eye out with this thing"

Cool. :cool:

ForTehNguyen
11-05-11, 11:20
I can see airsoft being a useful training tool without the need to live fire

tgace
11-05-11, 19:58
What guns are the most "realistic" to be used like this? Im sure that the realism varies by brand.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 20:06
There's a company.... KWA or something that makes KAC, and H&K replicas very well.

I had a Magpul airsoft M4 that I like. Sold it a while back on Craigslist.

I want one of the newer ones that have a functional bolt hold open, and bolt release to simulate more realistic reloading.

I'll do that at some point.

TehLlama
11-06-11, 00:36
The few that really do make value arguments with full realism in regards to manual of arms are the KWA Glock and USP lines, Tokyo Marui M1911 and P226 lines.

The gas blowback units that provide actual lockback and are well enough made to run on propane ("green gas") are going to have expensive magazines, and the rifle versions are going to be a touch expensive too.

The upside is that you can use existing holsters and accessories without a problem.

I still contend that they shine best for simple GBB pistols and use in FoF and/or dynamic close quarters stuff where even a $100 plastic pellet shooter is more accurate than its user most of the time: and those are shooting disciplines many folks with only square range time can gain the most from.

Caeser25
11-06-11, 06:30
I bought one at a flea market for $5 to use as a training aid for the ex that had never fired a real firearm before to try to correct somemistakes many new shooters make before she ever picked up a real firearm, booger hook off the trigger, muzzle awareness, and not turning around and sweeping the whole line to say something, you only need to turn your head etc.

ForTehNguyen
11-06-11, 07:38
Tokyo Marui are suppose to be very realistic, controls are exactly like a real AR, locks back on empty etc.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-06-11, 10:28
Tokyo Marui are suppose to be very realistic, controls are exactly like a real AR, locks back on empty etc.

TM pistols are very realistic in manual of arms, but they are generally plastic and overpriced. KWA for years has made some heavy duty pistols with a real manual of arms and a real feel to them. I have a Gen 2 KWA G19 and a Gen 3 Glock 19. To the lay person they are exactly the same.

I played airsoft for years, not as a training tool but because I lived in a upper class rural-suburb and as kids we had the money to buy the nicer guns and the land to shoot each other with them. Now that Im an adult, I definitely see the advantages of using KWA Glocks for force-on-force since they have a realistic mag cap, lock back on empty, employ the same sights, and fit in the same holsters. Rifles on the other hand, should not be used for F-O-F training because they lack a realistic manual of arms (bolts do not lock back, magazines generally hold an unrealistic amount, no barrier penetration etc etc).

Spiffums
11-06-11, 18:04
There really only is a finite set of training circumstances where airsoft makes sense (urban/MOUT; force on force; draw/no draw LE role playing scenarios) for real training evolutions.

For every other application, a lot of the crowd is the same as the paintball guys, with the added COD flair of dragging a replica M4 through a CTD catalog with a crap magnet. It is what it is.

It's there, and as a business it's great. In non-permissive countries (Japan, where they originated, Britain, Germany, Hungary, Philippines, etc.) it's absolutely huge because mommy state says no guns, so the market for these is huge, and the replicating detail is usually excuisite.

Complain all you want about the stereotype fat airsofting kids, but at least they're not on the couch 24/7, and their conception of gunfighting isn't limited depressing thumbsticks.

One of the big international IPSC shoots had guys from NPE countries train year around with airsoft and then they come over here and shoot real guns and do very very well.

jaxman7
11-06-11, 21:32
Topic of airsoft on Haley Strategic: http://www.haleystrategic.com/blog.php

TehLlama
11-07-11, 03:25
TM pistols are very realistic in manual of arms, but they are generally plastic and overpriced. KWA for years has made some heavy duty pistols with a real manual of arms and a real feel to them. I have a Gen 2 KWA G19 and a Gen 3 Glock 19. To the lay person they are exactly the same.

I played airsoft for years, not as a training tool but because I lived in a upper class rural-suburb and as kids we had the money to buy the nicer guns and the land to shoot each other with them. Now that Im an adult, I definitely see the advantages of using KWA Glocks for force-on-force since they have a realistic mag cap, lock back on empty, employ the same sights, and fit in the same holsters. Rifles on the other hand, should not be used for F-O-F training because they lack a realistic manual of arms (bolts do not lock back, magazines generally hold an unrealistic amount, no barrier penetration etc etc).

The Marui replicas are unrealistic because of asinine interpretations of Japanese law - they're just trying to prevent them from any hope of conversion into a firearm - but in my (extensive) experience, they're more durable than most of the pot metal items with the exception of their older M4's.

The GBB rifles open the door to somewhat realistic training in that regard, but again the magazine cost and still limited range are very realistic issues, along with the magazines often requiring a touch more space in magazine pouches because of different feed mechanisms.
The prices on these are coming down, but given the somewhat reduced training utility, the $300 to get an okay rifle and some accessories to match your actual configuration isn't nearly the bargain as a $150 complete KWA kit (Pistol, Spare magazine, AI Propane adapter, 5000 quality .25g BBs)

If anybody watched how well the GranTurismo5 contest guy did when strapped into a real race car, there are TONS of parallels: there's still a learning curve on the big loud real thing, but the basic skills and understanding - if learned properly - carry over.

I must have gotten some really odd looks after mentioning on the 10-8F that I had ran some of Hilton's drills with a Western Arms copy of the Det1 ICQB, but improving on that to where I actually could attain a usable time made me better at that and the real thing. I saw the most improvement in large airsoft events (where having to transition to secondary and engage in FoF was critical a few times) because of not only the repetition, but because that allowed me to focus on accuracy and placement rather than just the mechanics of performing the transition and acquiring a sight picture.

Redmanfms
11-09-11, 20:17
Honestly, with the cost of ammunition being what it is and my "stack" getting shallow, I'm really starting to airsoft as the way to go for doing drills. For the cost of spot-on pistol and rifle combination and the accoutrement to go with them I could train for literally years versus the amount of ammunition the same money could buy me.

Doing that I could then prioritize the "real" stuff for things that airsoft can't replicate, like range estimation and hold-over drills (which I'm not doing much of at all anymore).

And if the kiddies go out and act like retards with them, so what? At least they are outside and playing a "man" game that involves competition and simulation of violence.