PDA

View Full Version : To build or To buy complete?

Triple7
07-08-11, 19:11
Guys sorry if this is a noob first post. I'm a handgun guy trying to jump into the AR world.
I have a couple of options that I've been looking into:
1. DSarms has a upper and lower that I can get for $475, yes I know it isn't the best equipment. But I'm just starting and want to add on slowly.....but I also don't want to make a decision based on money that I might regret later. (Also this is gonna be a paper killer, I won't be betting my life on it.)
2. Daniel Defense complete that I'll just have to add a few options (optics, paint, ect) for $999....this is a little over my current budget, but within a couple months I'll be able to swing it.
https://danieldefense.com/rifles/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v1.html

I just wanted to get some advice from the board bros on here. Thanks for the help......
Flame suit on!

SeriousStudent
07-08-11, 19:24
.......... but within a couple months I'll be able to swing it.

You are a smart person. You answered your own question.

Seriously, the bitter taste of crap lingers long after the low price has receded into the past. Save up for a few more months, and get the proven carbine.

And if you can't afford a good carbine, how will you afford good mags, decent ammo, and quality training? I'm not flaming you at all. Just offering food for thought.

Rob Sloyer wrote an interesting article about the AR hierarchy of needs in the Surefire Combat Tactics mag recently published. Flip to page 22. It's worth reading.

Professor Maslow would have been proud. ;)

Triple7
07-08-11, 19:28
You are a smart person. You answered your own question.

Seriously, the bitter taste of crap lingers long after the low price has receded into the past. Save up for a few more months, and get the proven carbine.

And if you can't afford a good carbine, how will you afford good mags, decent ammo, and quality training? I'm not flaming you at all. Just offering food for thought.

Rob Sloyer wrote an interesting article about the AR hierarchy of needs in the Surefire Combat Tactics mag recently published. Flip to page 22. It's worth reading.

Professor Maslow would have been proud. ;)

That's kinda my question is....would I be buying crap with option 1?

SeriousStudent
07-08-11, 19:29
And regarding the "I won't be betting my life on it" statement:

Can you guarantee that? You'll never need it to defend yourself or someone you care about?

If that's really the case, buy a 10/22. Much cheaper, a lot easier to shoot, can be made more accurate, etc.

Again, these comments are not meant as a verbal knee to the groin. But why drop nearly a grand on a toy? Figure carbine, mags, ammo, light, sling. Add a decent red dot sight, and it's $1500 now.

You can get a really accurate 10/22 with a metric assload of ammo for that amount of money.

So if you buy an AR, buy something worth having. DD makes an excellent weapon, you will be highly pleased with it.

SeriousStudent
07-08-11, 19:32
I think that DSArms makes some really nice FAL's. If I was going to buy a FAL, they would get the nod.

Their AR uppers are a different item. Ever meet a really sweet girl, smoking hot, and her dad owns a liquor store? Ideal girl, right?

But they are never twins, are they?

There's been a couple of threads here on the inexpensive DSA uppers. I thought about one myself. I passed, and think you could get a good lightly used upper for the same money if you watch and wait.

Keep an eye on the EE here and on TOS.

Triple7
07-08-11, 19:37
Thanks this is helpful.
I'd rather people shoot straight with me than feed me than I get something that I end up not liking.
I'll check out some 10/22's.

As far as the betting my life on it. I'm very very comfortable with my Glock and Shotgun, that would be my first couple lines of defense.

120mm
07-08-11, 21:19
Thanks this is helpful.
I'd rather people shoot straight with me than feed me than I get something that I end up not liking.
I'll check out some 10/22's.

As far as the betting my life on it. I'm very very comfortable with my Glock and Shotgun, that would be my first couple lines of defense.

Once you learn more about and start to use the AR system, I bet your views on "first lines of defense" will change significantly.

I know mine has.

Triple7
07-08-11, 21:37
Once you learn more about and start to use the AR system, I bet your views on "first lines of defense" will change significantly.

I know mine has.

Yeah that's most likely gonna be the case.

Thanks for the night crew bump

RWBlue
07-08-11, 22:06
I don't know DS Arms, so I am not making a comment on them.

(As you are talking about buying an upper and a lower, there should be absolutely no issues. I consider this a buy. When I say build I am thinking more.)

I think a noob can build something very nice and reliable.
I think buying is easier. If you only have one and you have an issue....it is hard to diagnose the issue.

So for me, my last decision to buy or build was a different decision process.
Will I ever consider selling this gun? No, continue toward the build.
Do I/Can I buy something off the rack? No, I wanted something I couldn't find from a normal supplier.

Triple7
07-09-11, 01:12
Anyone have any comments on Plum Crazy Lower.
I know some will hate on the poly, but as a Glock guy I've come to trust it.
LMK you opinions. Thanks

ryr8828
07-09-11, 04:25
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81081

Triple7
07-09-11, 11:35
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81081

Thanks that was actually helpful, I'll make sure to search next time

Frailer
07-09-11, 12:37
Thanks that was actually helpful, I'll make sure to search next time

You'll find a lot of emotion and vitriol--not to mention a lot of opinion based on things other than experience--in the "Plum Crazy" threads.

I own one of these lowers, and I happen to like it. I bought it for a specific purpose, and it serves that purpose very well. But I would never recommend buying one for heavy use, and I would strongly discourage anyone from buying one for their first/only AR.

You gave yourself some good advice right here:

I also don't want to make a decision based on money that I might regret later

WBAR
07-09-11, 18:48
Order a complete upper: DD; BCM; Spikes; LMT; Noveske; or Colt. Then get the lower locally. :) WB

brzusa.1911
07-09-11, 19:26
I did lots of research if I should build or buy complete, and my findings were that I would've not saved any money by building on my own. DD is a great choice, people also like BCMs a lot... I would say either get a complete DD or a complete BCM upper and a complete lower (Grant can help with that).

By the way, which DD can you get for $999?

Triple7
07-09-11, 21:34
Cheaper than dirt is ha ing a sale through July for the DDM4. Cheap the website.

Who is Grant? (super new here lol)

brzusa.1911
07-09-11, 22:15
Cheaper than dirt is ha ing a sale through July for the DDM4. Cheap the website.

Who is Grant? (super new here lol)

He is a member, supporter, distributor, ....
http://www.gandrtactical.com/

Merc8541
07-18-11, 16:36
You might not save a whole lot by building your own, but you might end up with better components for the same price..... just a thought.