PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Performance Ammunition

ROGOPGEAR
07-08-11, 21:06
A recent vid on my opinion of Wolf ammo, if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/R0GUEKN1GHT?feature=mhee#p/u/0/uMJBlEBtIvs

Toxicodendron
07-08-11, 23:41
I have noticed the same with the Wolf, doesn't lock back the bolt on last round. This has only happened when I run the blue Sprinco, no problem's with the Stag factory spring.

duece71
07-09-11, 06:53
I just bought a hundred rounds of WPA from AIM (quick shipping as they are in OH) and I hope to try it out soon. I had a disaster with Tula that I used in a brand new rifle........I won't use Tula in an AR ever again. I hope this stuff works better.

whiteknuckels
07-09-11, 07:09
i had out of round wolf ammo that gave me trouble....

theblackknight
07-09-11, 07:16
I ran about 200 of wolf back in the day.it was too dirty. I just got my 2nd 500r box of Silverbear. I've ran it in one range day and the rest in defensive matches the the fires were pretty rapid. Its good ammo and pretty clean.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
07-09-11, 10:40
I have personally never had a problem with Wolf ammo. It's not Hornady Match or Federal GMM, but as I once said in an article (about 6.5 Grendel, but part of it applies to .223):
----------------------------------------------

"A word here about Wolf ammo . This brass-cased Wolf (made in Serbia by Privi Partizan) had a quality appearance and functioned perfectly. But I am always suspicious of soft points in self-loaders, so I left the same round in the bottom of a magazine for eleven, five round strings, letting it load at the end of each cycle. It was slammed by recoil against the front of the magazine fifty-five times and fed into the chamber eleven times. The soft point became somewhat deformed, but it fed every time and the bullet never pushed in. I think Wolf gets a bad rap sometimes, but really, there is a place for this ammo. If it is less accurate (OK, it is less accurate) than premium American-made ammo, it still has significant value. You can talk all day about 1 minute-of-angle ammo but if you don’t have any because it’s not available or you can’t afford it, what’s been accomplished? Not as much as can be accomplished with a case of 3 MOA ammo. If the steel cased varieties of Wolf have you worried about breaking extractors— people say steel cased ammo breaks extractors but I’ve never actually seen it—get an extra extractor. Mark it “S” with a Dremel or paint pen, and use it at the range but not on the street."

-------------------------------------

BTW I just got some Wolf Match Target .22 rimfire (it's German made). In an old Mossberg single-shot target rifle, one ragged hole at 25 yards...... and five of five into 2 3/16" at 100...... not too shabby!

tpd223
07-09-11, 17:22
Wolf and Tula shoot fine in my ARs

yhmspecter
07-09-11, 18:49
Ive never shot Wolf, but I have shot a good amount of Tula, and a good amount Brown Bear.. And isnt the extractor harder than the cartridge case??

GeorgiaBoy
07-09-11, 23:39
I've had a few problems in the past and have opted to go with brass cased from now on. That's not to say that lots of people don't have good results with it, but that has not been me.

Ned Christiansen
07-10-11, 09:20
I have seen some of the 62 grain Wolf on the light side; it would not reliably cycle some AR's. That was a couple years ago, and I don't know if it was a case, a pallet, or a boatload that was so afflicted. Or if they are still that way. It worked well in the majority of guns but you could tell it was softer.

Many AR's simply have a smaller window of reliable function for a variety of reasons.

ssracer
07-10-11, 12:35
in almost 1500 rounds of wolf, I had one FTE (after about 199 rounds with no cleaning). Only failure with it. 500 of that was the old wolf, the rest was the newer WPA.

It seems wolf is pretty hit or miss with AR's. Question is, what does it have more to do with...the rifles or the ammo. Something out of spec in the rifle or poor QC on the ammo making individual batches hit or miss.

duece71
07-10-11, 20:36
in almost 1500 rounds of wolf, I had one FTE (after about 199 rounds with no cleaning). Only failure with it. 500 of that was the old wolf, the rest was the newer WPA.

It seems wolf is pretty hit or miss with AR's. Question is, what does it have more to do with...the rifles or the ammo. Something out of spec in the rifle or poor QC on the ammo making individual batches hit or miss.

Daniel Defense out of spec??? Doubtful. I had a rough time with Tula in my DDM4V3. I am pretty sure it was the ammo. I am hopeful that Wolf WPA does a lot better.

ROGOPGEAR
07-10-11, 20:55
I have heard of different chambers that are tighter like wylde having some difficulties. My 556 chambered DD barrel has had no issues with the steel casing of the WPA. The only issue I encountered was the softer shooting brick, but that was a previous Wolf. This WPA stuff has been great. A few of my vids have me mag dumping, and it is all Wolf running without a hiccup.

ssracer
07-10-11, 22:01
Daniel Defense out of spec??? Doubtful. I had a rough time with Tula in my DDM4V3. I am pretty sure it was the ammo. I am hopeful that Wolf WPA does a lot better.

I didn't say it was always something out of spec with the rifle.

I don't have an explanation for why one rifle will shoot it all day and another becomes a "jam-o-matic" with it. Seems from my reading on here that a lot of DD rifles don't care for it at all. I couldn't begin to tell you why.

Its just something that seems so odd to me that something like this is so hit or miss between rifles. Like I said, crappy QC causing every batch of wolf to be slightly different could certainly play as a huge factor in that.

SA80Dan
07-11-11, 08:37
I have heard of different chambers that are tighter like wylde having some difficulties. My 556 chambered DD barrel has had no issues with the steel casing of the WPA. The only issue I encountered was the softer shooting brick, but that was a previous Wolf. This WPA stuff has been great. A few of my vids have me mag dumping, and it is all Wolf running without a hiccup.

FWIW, my Stainless steel Lilja barrel with a Wylde chamber has no trouble whatsoever with steel cased ammo. No reason why it should either, given this is a 223 round. As far as I can work out, most of the tight chamber issues are to do with out of spec undersize circumference where the body of the case sits as opposed to anything else.

Curious - you said on your vid you had an earlier batch that caused you issues. Was this earlier "WPA" or was it earlier Wolf? Hugely different ammo, since the WPA brand comes from the Barnaul plant (same as the Bears), and is a cut above the Wolf of old (which was all produced by the Tula/Ulyanovsk group - any Tula ammo is best avoided as it is very inconsistent). The WPA branded stuff is effectively Bear in a polymer coated case.

Re the conversation on the Daniel Defense rifles....what buffer do those have? Remember, Mil Spec rifles run best with Mil Spec ammo. When running non mil spec ammo, especially Russian ammo which is notoriously weak, it may pay you to switch out to a carbine buffer for increased reliability with it.

duece71
07-11-11, 13:50
I didn't say it was always something out of spec with the rifle.

I don't have an explanation for why one rifle will shoot it all day and another becomes a "jam-o-matic" with it. Seems from my reading on here that a lot of DD rifles don't care for it at all. I couldn't begin to tell you why.

Its just something that seems so odd to me that something like this is so hit or miss between rifles. Like I said, crappy QC causing every batch of wolf to be slightly different could certainly play as a huge factor in that.

Mine doesn't like it for sure. Maybe a call to DD is in order to see why it won't run very well with it. Also maybe the OM will have some info.

ROGOPGEAR
07-11-11, 20:03
FWIW, my Stainless steel Lilja barrel with a Wylde chamber has no trouble whatsoever with steel cased ammo. No reason why it should either, given this is a 223 round. As far as I can work out, most of the tight chamber issues are to do with out of spec undersize circumference where the body of the case sits as opposed to anything else.

Curious - you said on your vid you had an earlier batch that caused you issues. Was this earlier "WPA" or was it earlier Wolf? Hugely different ammo, since the WPA brand comes from the Barnaul plant (same as the Bears), and is a cut above the Wolf of old (which was all produced by the Tula/Ulyanovsk group - any Tula ammo is best avoided as it is very inconsistent). The WPA branded stuff is effectively Bear in a polymer coated case.

Re the conversation on the Daniel Defense rifles....what buffer do those have? Remember, Mil Spec rifles run best with Mil Spec ammo. When running non mil spec ammo, especially Russian ammo which is notoriously weak, it may pay you to switch out to a carbine buffer for increased reliability with it.

The earlier batch was Wolf, not WPA. This WPA stuff has been great, it was actually the hotter stuff that I loaded in the bottom of my mags to get rid of the older softer stuff. I tried changing my spikes buffer back to a carbine buffer with the softer ammo and it still wouldn't lock back. The WPA ammo works just fine with the heavier buffer though. The WPA is much better ammo.

SA80Dan
07-11-11, 20:13
The earlier batch was Wolf, not WPA. This WPA stuff has been great, it was actually the hotter stuff that I loaded in the bottom of my mags to get rid of the older softer stuff. I tried changing my spikes buffer back to a carbine buffer with the softer ammo and it still wouldn't lock back. The WPA ammo works just fine with the heavier buffer though. The WPA is much better ammo.

Ahah!....I suspected as much.

As I mentioned, now the WPA is being produced at Barnaul it is effectively "Bear" ammo in a Polymer case. Got my second 1000 round lot yesterday - I generally go through 1000 rounds a month and can count the number of problems I've had with Barnaul produced ammo on one hand.